Status: About to be rewritten. Please read the Author's note (Chap 50) for further information. Thks x

Dreams of Tomorrow

Chapter 45.

As soon as she dropped her bag on the wooden floor of her bedroom, Adie walked in and closed the door behind her. Adie had picked her up for once, saying that Billie Joe was working in his basement studio.

"Listen Honey, I know you've just arrived, but before you see your father... He's been pestering me to ask you to, huh, you know..." Adie took hold of Lya's hands and let out a deep sigh. "Please, be careful, take the pill and ask him to wear a condom."

Lya choke on her spit and starred at her mother, her eyes wide, her face pale.

"Dad asked you to tell me that?" she asked, slowly.

Adie sighed.
"You know how he gets... He made me swear to ask you... He's hyperventilating whenever the word pregnancy is said on TV... The other night, he woke up screaming because in his dreams you told him you were pregnant. It took me one hour to get him to calm down, convince him it was just a dream and that you weren't stupid." she said, obviously annoyed.

Lya shook her head, almost wanting to laugh but refrain herself and instead she cracked a smile.

"Mum... I'm not a dumb... Beside, Brian's been patient with me, he said he won't do anything until I tell him I'm ready." she said, blushing, feeling slightly awkward to have this kind of talk with Adie. "And if it can appease Dad, tell him I'm still a virgin..." she said, squeezing Adie's hands. “Dad doesn't have anything to worry about for now."

The door busted open and Billie Joe stood there, tears in his eyes.
"Thank God..." he whispered, before rushing towards Lya and engulfing her in a death grip, almost choking her. "I'm so proud of you baby girl, I was so worried..."

Adie slapped her forehead and tried to make her husband let go of Lya.

"Billie Joe, what did I say about eavesdropping?"

"You told Joey he shouldn't do it." he said, Lya's still at arm’s length.

"Same goes for you Billie. I told you I'd have that talk with Lya, and I did. You didn't have to eavesdrop on our conversation."

"I left the studio early?" he tried. She glared at him.

"Fine, I wanted to hear it myself so I'd know for sure." he said.

Adie rolled her eyes and almost kicked him out of the room.
"You and your stupid dreams." she muttered, ushering him down the stairs.

Lya chuckled and opened her suitcase, she had brought the minimum, knowing damn well she'd have to go back on Sunday afternoon.

She opened the window and sat on her bed, looking out of the window. Her mind wandered to a few weeks back, when they left the funfair early.

The next week she had dinner with the twins, who asked her why she had left so early. Lya blushed and simply said she'd have to go shopping for lingerie soon.
A few mojitos later, Lya knew more about Val and Michelle's first time that she wanted to hear. She would never be able to look at Matt and Jason the same way...

Brian was more and more tactile with her, whenever the lights were out. He'd been sleeping in just his boxers since that week end, and Lya knew it was only a matter of time before he'd take that off too.

College had picked up, she had a pile of books to read and a list of assignments to write that kept growing. Business had picked up at Cha's restaurant, and Lya went more and more often to lend a hand. She'd always leave the restaurant with a few bills. She kept them in a small box, in case of emergency.

Brian wanted to spend more and more time with her, and she knew Jimmy wouldn't be home the next week end, he had a family gathering and Lya would be all alone with Brian.

It scared her in a way and she tried not to think about it too much, but kept in mind she would have to find some time to go shopping.

The other night, he kept his promise, he stopped whenever he'd reach her limits.
Since saying "no" out loud made her uneasy, so she simply placed both hands on his chest and pushed him off slightly. Usually after the first push he'd roll back on his back and she'd curl up at his side.

She was trying to make an effort, trying to spend time with him while they could, tried to bear with his wandering hands and tried to show him she cared about him, even when they were hanging with their friends. She was still timid, but would peck his cheek once or twice and he'd be happy.

She was called back to reality when Billie Joe walked back in her room, silently closing the door behind him, not without checking if Adrienne was following him. When he was sure no one was following him, he sat on her bed and looked at her, straight in the eyes.

"I love you Lya. I really care about you, so please, take care of yourself."

"I know Dad, I'll be careful..." she said, looking down slightly.

He reached out to touch her face and lightly lifted her chin, so she would make eye contact with him again.

"I'm not talking about Brian, I know you're responsible... If he doesn't listen, kick him where the sun doesn't shine, that should calm him down. But enough about that... I'm worried about you Lya. Are you sure everything's fine?"

"Yeah, everything's fine Dad..." she said, stifling a yawn.

"Do you eat well?"

She smiled, "More than I should probably..." she whispered, lightly patting her stomach. "Cha's cooking is to die for..."

"Good, now do you sleep enough? You know you should at least sleep 6 or 7 hours per night..."

"What's going on Dad..." she asked, trailing off. "Are you all right?"

He sighed.
"I'm just worried about you Lya... We don't see you as often as I'd like... You seem tired. You're far away, I can't take care of you..."

"You're talking as if I was on the other side of the world..." she said, sighing.

"But you are. Anywhere further than arm length is the end of the world for me." he said, sighing. "I can't help but worry about you..."

She threw her arms around him, resting her head against his chest, her back leaning in an awkward angle.

"I love you Dad. You know that."

Billie Joe kissed the top of her head, snaking his arms around her, bringing her closer to him, her head moving from his chest to his shoulder.

"Baby girl..." he whispered, his head resting on top of hers, his eyes closed.

That Brian guy better watch out. If he only just brush her hair the wrong way, he'd bit his head off.
Lya was his daughter, he was the one supposed to look out for her, to take care of her, not anyone else. Let alone a small wannabe rock star.

She deserved better. Someone with a good situation. He didn't want Lya to sleep alone at night, while her boyfriend would be off wherever in the country or abroad, partying and shit. He didn't want to worry about her boyfriend's whereabouts.

Lya deserved to be happy, and in his opinion, Brian wasn't qualified for the job.
As long as she seemed happy, he would stay out of it. But the moment Brian messes up, he would kick his ass. Up to the moon.

"Dad, don't worry okay? Brian's a good guy. I don't think the moon's a good destination for him."

Billie Joe lifted his head and starred at Lya with his round eyes.

She cracked a smile.

"I said that aloud, didn't I?"

She smiled wider and kissed his cheek, before getting up, pulling him up with her.

"What's Mom doing for dinner?"

"I don't know... She told me to stay out of her way." he said, shrugging. Lya smiled and walked down the stairs, trying to hear her little brothers.

As she reached the last step, she froze.

"Mamie!" she screamed, running towards the older woman and engulfing her in a tight hug. "Oh my God! How did you know I was coming back today?" she asked, before kissing her grandmother's cheeks.

"Adrienne called me a few days ago." she said, smiling at her granddaughter. Lya smiled back and went to hug her grandfather. Somewhere in between, the kids were back, with Ollie.

Soon it was dinner time, with Lya helping out Adie the best she could, while trying to spend some time with her grandparents.

For the some reason, the conversation went on from her life in college, to her new relationship with Brian.

She stayed silent as her grandmother went on and on about how many times Brian went over their house to see her...

"Was it that obvious?" asked Lya, frowning.

"Oh of course it was honey..." gushed Suzan.

Adie rested a hand on her husband arm, as his fingers clenched around his glass.
"They're just kids..." she whispered in her ear. "Stop worrying. Lya's gonna be upset."

As those last words left her lips, Billie Joe's face softened, quickly glancing in direction of Lya. She tried to smile, but she felt uneasy now. She could sense the tension coming from her father every time Brian's name was brought in the conversation.

The evening went by fast and soon Lya was putting her brothers to bed.

"You still love me Lya, right?" whispered Joey, not letting go of Lya as she bent to kiss his forehead.

"Always and forever Joey... What's wrong?" she whispered, brushing his hair.

"It's just that... Everyone speaks about Brian... I'm just scared he's gonna take you away from me."

"Never. No one will ever be able to take me away from you Joey. No one, I swear. You're my little brother. I will always love you Joey."

He nodded to himself, obviously satisfied and comforted by Lya's answer.

"You'll always be my favorite. Right after Mum! And I'll never have a girlfriend if you don't like her..." he said, curling on his side, his hands wrapping around the newest fluffy toy she bought for him.

Lya's face broke into a smile and she kissed his cheek before walking out of his room, leaving him to sleep.

When she walked back downstairs, Billie Joe had left to drive back her grandparents’ home.

"Mum?" she called out, grabbing a pile of dirty dishes and heading towards the kitchen. "Is Dad really upset about me and Brian?" she whispered, opening the dishwasher and putting in the plates.

"Oh Lya baby... He'll be upset about anything if it concerns you... He just needs some time to get used to it... You've been attached to the hip for the last two years..." Adie brushes some air out of Lya's face.

"He's just jealous some guy is going to steal you away from him... Doesn't look like it, but your dad is a pretty jealous person. He looks lay back and all, but he's not when it comes to the people he cares about. You're one of them."

Lya bit her lip, tears threatening to fall. Someone coughed behind them and Adie quickly walked out, leaving Lya and Billie Joe to talk.

Without warning she threw herself against his chest and hugged him with all her might.
"I owe you my life Dad... I don't know where I'd be if it wasn't for you... If you don't like Brian, I can break up with him." she said, her voice muffled in his T-shirt.

"It's not what I meant Lya..." he whispered, kissing her forehead. "Let's drop the subject, all'right? Let's have some quality father/daughter time tomorrow morning, okay?"

"What about Joey and Jake? and Mum?"

"Some family time then?" he asked. She lifted her head and nodded.

"All'right! Come on, off to bed you go." he whispered as she hugged him again quickly before jogging up to the staircase. She stopped with her feet on the the first step and ran back to Billie Joe.

"I love you Dad, more than anyone in the world." she said, hugging him and then disappearing back to the staircase.

**

"You know she won't be able to come back for a while... You know that, right?"

"I know Dad... It's just..." Joey let out a heartbreaking sigh. "I wish she could live here you know?"

"I know Joey... I wish she would too... But she's an adult now, right? She wants to study, which is a big thing! Neither you or I can get in the way, you understand that?"

Joey huffed and rested his head on his palm. "I get it Dad... I just miss her. I don't like it when she leaves."

"Joey, you and I will need to grow up, m'kay? We can't look sad every time she leaves... It makes it difficult for her."

"Then if it's difficult, she should stay here."

Billie Joe leaned back on his seat and watched Lya playing with Jake, her bag a few feet away, ready to leave after lunch.

"I couldn't agree more kiddo. But she has too, and she should support her decision."

Joey just pouted some more, crossing his arms across his chest.

**

The moment she saw him, she felt like shit.

Her breath got stuck in her throat as her ears buzzed with all the things she had told her dad, about leaving Brian if Billie Joe wanted to and so on.
As soon as she caught sight of his smile, her heart broke and she regretted all those things. All those bad things she had said, not about him personally, but about their relationship. How little she cared.

She rushed up to him and threw her arms around him, just like in the movies, hoping it'd make it all better.

"Hey" he breathed out in her ear, as her arms wrapped tightly around him. "I missed you."

She only hugged him tighter.
"Me too."

"Aren't you tired from the flight?"

She slowly let go of him and shook her head. "I'm fine, thanks. I’m getting used to it, plus it's a short distance."
"So, what have you guys been up to while I was away?"

Brian picked up her bag and just smiled at her.
"The usual you know... Drinking, playing video games... Waiting for Johnny to man up..."

He felt her glare on him and only smiled brighter.
"Kidding."

It was so easy to mess up with her, the smallest things made her react.

He led her to where he had parked his car, in silence.

It was unusual for her to be so quiet, especially after spending her week end with her family. She usually had so many things to say.

"Everything's okay Lya?"

"Huh? Yeah yeah. I'm just..." she sighed. “It’s always hard to leave, you know."

"Yeah, I can imagine..."

"I'm sorry but no, you can't imagine Brian." she mumbled, pinching her nose. "As soon as I step foot in the driveway, it's like Christmas. I have an awesome time until Sunday morning, then it goes downhill. I have to put up with my brothers refusing to eat and/or crying because they know I'm leaving after lunch... Then my Dad, who keeps making me feel bad even if it's not on purpose... You don't know..." she rubbed her forehead. "I'm sorry Brian, I'm just tired, not physically but mentally. It won't be fun for you tonight, I should probably go back to my place."

"It's okay Lya... I get it. I'm sorry."

"No. I'm sorry Brian. It's a bit hard for me right now... I'm confused. I... I need some time to adapt."

Brian sighed and rested his head against his palm, while holding the wheel with his right hand.

He felt hopeless. Every time she came back from San Francisco, it felt as if she was slipping away from him. It wasn't the first time he had noticed this, but it was more blatant this time.

Just when their relationship was finally getting somewhere, bam, the door slammed shut in his face.

She rubbed her face with both hands.

"Okay, let's just forget about it. Pretend everything's alright." she said, leaning back on her seat and rolling her shoulders.

"Are you going on tour soon or something?"

Brian glanced at her.
"Is that your way of changing the subject? Asking me when I'll be on the road...?"

"Alright then. Let's just keep our mouth shut until we get to my place, then I'll be out of your way. You can even drop me out at yours, I'll find my way just fine."

He pinched the bridge of his nose.
"Probably in a few months or more... Val's trying to get us on Warped Tour."

Lya's attention got caught as those words left his mouth.
"Warped tour?" she asked.

"Yeah... Sounds huge."

She smiled sadly.
"I was on Warped Tour with Green Day. It was hectic. Had a blast."

"Hope you'll give us some tips when we get there..."

"Sure" she breathed out, looking out of the window.

"Or maybe even come with us on tour..." he suggested.

"I don't know Brian..."

"Oh come on! You went with your Dad, can't you go on tour with your boyfriend?"

"I got school!"

"Sure you do..." he sighed.

"You know what? This is getting nowhere. Let's just stop talking okay? You'll keep trying to make side comment and it'll make me snap at you. So just... Just drop me off."

"Lya..."

"You're sorry? I'm sorry too. That won't change the fact that we'll be at each other’s throat in a blink of an eye. I just want a hot bath and some sleep."

"It's 5pm."

"Please Brian, just drop me off."

He parked the car minutes later. She got off, not before kissing his cheek, grabbed her stuff and closed the door, walking towards the building, not even waiting for him to drive off, nor waving him off. She just left.

She opened the door, having the keys ready in her pocket.

Cha was in her room, the door was closed, she was probably on the phone with her brother. Lya yawned, dropped her bag in the hallway and went to her room, leaving it ajar before she kicked off her shoes and let herself fall on the mattress.

She fell asleep that way and woke up a few hours later, when someone knocked at the front door.
Yawning, she dragged herself out of her room and slowly reached out for the door. She took off the chain and opened the door to see a man, slightly older than her, shorter than her with spiky hair starring at her.

"You must be Lya...?"

She squinted her eyes.
"So I know you?"

"Well, I sure hope you heard about me. I'm Derrick, Cha's boyfriend."

Lya's mouth formed an O shape and she opened the door wider, stepping out.
"Sorry..." she apologized, trying to tam her hair. "Just got off the plane..."

"San Francisco, right?"

She nodded, smiling. She should have known Cha had told him all about her, because she sure knew quite a lot about him.

"It's nice to put a face on the name you know." she said, closing the door behind him. "Do you want something to drink?"

"Beer sounds nice."

"Sure!" she walked over to the fridge while Derrick took off his shoes and dropped his bag.

"I'm sorry, Cha didn't say you were coming, otherwise I'd have prepared some snacks."

"She couldn't have told you, I was supposed to arrive in two days." he explained, before thanking her for the beer.

Lya nodded at him and walked over to Cha's room, she knocked softly and twisted the door knob open.
"Baobei!!!"

Lya didn't have the time to react that Cha had launched herself at her.
"I missed you!"

"I missed you too Cha, but look who's here?" she said as she let go of her friend and stepped out.

"Baby!!" she squealed and ran off.

Derrick seemed to expect it, he just had the time to put his beer on the counter before Cha crushed him in a hug.

"Okay, okay..." whispered Cha to herself, taking a deep breath after letting go of him. "Let's do it properly."

"Derrick... Meet Lya, my best friend. Lya, meet Derrick, my boyfriend."

Lya smiled at the man but her smile turned into a frown.

"I'm sorry, I don't want to seem rude or anything but... I'm pretty sure I've seen you before." she said.

Derrick shot her a smile.
"Probably on Warped Tour..."

"Oh, what city?"

His smile widened. "All of them."

Lya's curious face made him chuckle.
"I was on stage, I mean me and my band. I saw you and your dad quite a few times. You helped my crew set up stuff once. And helped my dumb bass player to the infirmary."

"Oh my... You're Derrick... Canadian band, Sum 41, right?"

"The one and only."

Lya turned to glare at Cha.
"You're boyfriend is in a band and you don't tell me? You told me so much stuff about him but you forgot the most important one? Come on Cha!"

"Don't be angry okay? I had no idea you two knew each other’s... Well, Derrick told me he knew who you were... But I was afraid it'd scare you off knowing that my boyfriend's in a band, like yours."

Lya waved her hand off.
"I get it Cha, no worries. It's just... It's a small world."

"Next time you're nearby, come and hang out with us Lya. I'm sure Cone would love to see you again." said Derrick, with a smile.

"Oh no... You mean Cone's Warped Tour crush was actually Lya?" asked Cha. Derrick nodded and she squealed.

Lya waved it off.
"I helped him up and to the infirmary because he scratched his knee. I didn't save his life... He tripped on his bass' strap... I couldn't leave him lying there..."

"Well I would have." laughed Derrick.

Lya shrugged her shoulder.
"Anyway, I'll leave you two lovebirds and I'm going for a walk. Want me to pick up something to eat on my way back?"

"Weren't you supposed to stay over at Brian's tonight?" asked Cha.

She let out a sigh and rubbed her shoulder.
"Got on my nerves, asked him to drop me off. I don't want to see his face right now. I can stay over at Gena's if you want me out."

Just as she was about to go back to her room to get a hoodie, someone knocked on the front.

"Do I know you?" asked Jimmy, stepping inside as soon as the door opened.

"Do I know you?" asked Derrick, while Jimmy just eyed him from head to toes.

"Are you Lya's boyfriend?" asked Derrick, not losing face, even though Jimmy seemed to be twice his size.

Jimmy cocked his eyebrow and crossed his arms over his chest.
"What if I am...?"

"What if you're not?"

Lya smacked her forehead.
"Jimmy, this is Derrick, Cha's boyfriend. Derrick, that's Jimmy. He's not my boyfriend."

"But I could be... Right now I'm the bestest friend she has, better than anyone else."

"Bestest isn't a word, Jimmy." said Lya, rolling her eyes.

"Whatever, the point is: what are you doing here?"

"Who are you talking to?" asked Cha, looking between Derrick and Lya.

"Lya, what are you doing here?"

"I'm home?"

"Why aren't you at me and Brian's place?"

"Here we go again..." she sighed, walking over to Jimmy and pushing him aside so she could close the front door. "He send you didn't he?"

"No actually, he didn't. He came back home, pissed off and alone. But me being the awesome friend everyone loves, I jumped in my car after I was done kicking Matt's ass on videogames and here I am."

"Can you mind your own business for once Jimmy?" she asked, rubbing her forehead.

"Come on Lya, whatever he said or did, he probably didn't mean it."

Lya clenched her jaw and pinched her nose.

"What part of: Leave me alone! you don't understand? Is it leave or alone that's bothering you? I bet it's the alone part you guys don't get." she ranted.

Cha and Derrick had left, closing Cha's bedroom door behind them.

"Lya, don't be like that..." started Jimmy, taking a step forward and reaching out to touch her shoulder.

She held up both hands.
"Don't! I want to be alone. Alone, okay? Please. I had a rough day, my head's spinning I just want to be by myself for a bit." she pleaded, sighing.

"Fine Lya... I'm gonna be outside, smoking. I'll wait for you to change your mind just a few minutes, then I'll be off." he said, running a hand through his hair.

"Yeah, you do that." she mumbled as he turned around and got ready to leave.

She ran a hand through her hair and walked towards the bathroom. Halfway there she stopped in her tracks, sighed deeply and made a run for her room. She grabbed her unpacked bag, her schoolbag, her hoodie and hurried to the front door, grabbing her keys on her way.

With no surprise, Jimmy was waiting for here right outside the building, leaning against his car, as if he knew she'd come down.

He had the decency not to say 'I told you so' and instead opened the door for her, but not the passenger door.

"I'm driving?"

He simply nodded and jogged to the passenger seat.

She buckled her seat-belt and started the engine, getting ready to drive back to their place, until Jimmy told her otherwise.

"But...?"

"No but."

Soon, she parked the car outside of Johnny's bar.

"Come on Jimmy you serious? I got school tomorrow..." she muttered.

"I know, but you need to chill out... You're so stressed out you're gonna blow off... Every time I see you, it's like you have steam coming out of your ears."

"I'm not that bad."

Jimmy waved off his hand and got out of the car.

She reluctantly got out and followed him inside.

The waitress led them at 'the spot', at the end of the bar and Lya had to refrain from turning around and running.
Her head snapped to the side and she glared at Jimmy, her eyes shooting daggers.

"That's a fucking trap." she snarled under her breath.

"That's friends helping you blow off steam." said Jimmy, kissing her forehead before going to the bar to order drinks.

Lya felt like she had stepped in the lion's den.

Without really understanding what was happening, she had Michelle and Gena hugging her.

"It's been ages."

No, it's not. Just a few weeks... she thought to herself as the girls lead her to the table.
Matt and Zacky were a few feet away, playing pool.

She was boiling inside, she knew it was only a matter of time before Brian would show up.

Lya's eyes scanned the area, looking out for potential exits. She quickly checked her watch, 5 minutes. No sign of Jimmy. She knew something was off. The waitress came back and handed her a Mojito. That's how she knew Jimmy had left to get Brian.
Her fingers wrapped around the glass and she brought it up to her lips, taking a long, long sip. She kept sipping until she realized that her glass was half empty.

She rubbed her eyes and let out a yawn, not trying to hide it.

Because yes, Lya was drinking now. After years or months trying to fight against it, she had finally succumbed just a few weeks before turning 21. Billie Joe didn't particularly liked it, until he got the chance to cling his beer against hers, and he smiled. It was the week end before she officially moved to L.A.
She knew her limit though, normally. But tonight, she seemed willing to kick them back as far as possible.

She wanted to get buzzed, so she wouldn't be feeling pissed off at everything that was happening around her. She wanted to try and be the cool friend, not the mood killer. But she hadn't been able to do that since she started college.

Thanksgiving was around the corner, September was nearing its end, it would be Autumn Fall soon.

Damn...

In a blink of an eye, it'd be Christmas, then New Year... Exams and so on...

She rubbed her forehead and took another long sip of her drink, before taking a handful of crackers and happily munched on them.

The girls came back from their group-trip to the bathroom and sat back around Lya.
She nodded every once in a while, smiled a bit and handed out her glass to Gena who happily went to get a refill.

Lya almost snatched the glass from Gena's hand when she spotted Jimmy and Brian making their way towards them.

Brian looked like shit. She sighed and looked down, keeping the straw between her lips. No, she wouldn't talk to him first.

From the corner of her eyes, she saw him greeting his friends, Matt quickly glancing above Brian's shoulder to look at Lya. Words were exchanged and he patted Brian on the back. That made Lya sank further down on her seat, glaring at her shoes.

"I fucking hate you..." she snapped as Jimmy tried to touch her shoulder. She kept her glass in hands as she shot on her feet, she tried to pretend everything was all right as she made her way away from him. Her stomach started to churn. Her lunch was long gone and Jimmy didn't offer her some dinner. Maybe keeping drinking on an empty stomach wouldn't be a good idea. She finished her second Mojito none the less, put the empty glass on the wooden bar and snuck out. She stumbled a bit as she crossed the street and headed towards the Burger King.

The waitress shot her a big smile as Lya quickly mumbled her order, not feeling so well.
Her burger showed up fast on the plastic tray and she ushered to a booth, happily munching on her fries before unwrapping her burger and almost shoved it down her throat.

She was focused on her food when she saw someone slide on the booth in front of her and saw Brian.

"Great mind think alike." he said, shooting her a small smile as he picked up one of his fries.

She nodded, barely looked at him as she kept stuffing her face with the burger. Not caring whether it was lady-like or not. She was starving and trying to fight off the burning sensation in her stomach.

"The girls said you drank 2 mojitos, are you alright?" he asked, concerned.

Lya slowly looked away from her last bit of burger and looked at Brian. Her heart made a 'thump' sound in her chest as she took sight of him under the neon lights.
"Yeah, but it don't think I could have keep it up with an empty stomach." she replied, trying to smile.

Brian nodded and unwrapped his burger; but he kept eating his fries.

"You're not eating?" she asked, wiping her greasy hands on a napkin.

"I ate before Jimmy showed up, I'm all right." he said, uneasy. "This one's for you actually, I figured your last meal would have been lunch." he added, handing her his burger.

"Oh thanks..." she whispered, taking it from his hands. Brian smiled, happy and kept eating fries, while Lya ate her second burger.

Brian smiled in relief as her face went back to a slightly pink color, the pale/green color fading away.

She made sure to keep her mouth full, avoiding the subject and hurried to the washroom as soon as she finished eating.

When she got out, Brian was waiting for her near the exit.

He opened the door for her.

"Thanks" she whispered, focusing on her shoes.

They crossed the street side by side, in silence, until they reached the bar.
"You know, this kinda was our first real date." he said, as he reached out for his pack of cigarettes.

"How is that?"

"Well, I took you out for dinner. I paid for it." he said, smiling as he grabbed his lighter.

She rolled her eyes. "Some romantic you are. You bought half of my dinner, plus I don't think eating at burgers counts as a date. Otherwise, the last time you took me out for junk food was when I cut my hand over with a broken piece of mirror. You paid for my meal too, so it should count as a date?" she asked, crossing her arms and smiling at him, trying to show him she was joking.

"Are you insinuating I'm a lame boyfriend 'cause I didn't take you out on a real date?" he asked, cocking an eyebrow.

"You said it yourself!" she said, holding up her hands in surrender.

"Fine then, I'll take you out on a real date..." he trailed off, before taking another drag of his cigarette. "But you have to dress up for it Lya. Jeans and T-shirt won't do. And no Chucks." he added, trying his best to hide his smirk.

She rose one eyebrow.

"Where will you take me then?"

"Secret."

She smirked.
"That's the typical answer for when you don't know."

"You'll see. I'll pick you up Friday, 6.30pm." he said, stomping on the cigarette butt.

"Fine then, but you better not let me down. I have high expectations" she said, pushing the door open.

"Oh believe me, I won't." he whispered in her ear, walking in right behind her.

She felt her cheeks flushed and was about to answer when Jimmy showed up.

"There you are! I thought you guys disappeared on me." he exclaimed, dramatically.

"We were at the burger place, across the street." she said, pointing over her shoulder. Brian nodded in approval and they both headed to the counter.

**

She felt like it was Carnival.

Lya glared at her reflection in the mirror and walked out of the room, marching into the living room and let herself fall on the couch.

She heard someone whistling and her head snapped to the side, glaring at Derrick.

"You look nice Lya!" he said, nodding in approval.

"It's too much, isn't it?"

Derrick shook his head. "It's just a change, but a nice one! Brian will like it, I'm sure. What’s the occasion?"

She sighed.
"He said he'd take me on a date tonight. Said I couldn't wear jeans, T-shirt or Chucks. That's the best I could find."

"Where is he taking you?"

"Absolutely no idea."

"Aren't you excited?"

"I'm just scared I guess. I don't know what to tell him."

Derrick blinked and looked at Cha, feeling eyes on her she slowly looked up from her book.
"That's just Lya, the tip of the iceberg. She's much more complex you know... I've been asking her a thousand time to be my case study..." she said, before looking back at her book.

"I have a bad feeling about it...” she mumbled, pushing herself up and heading to her room. She took off her heels and put on some boots, messing up her hair and pulling them up in a ponytail.

“Your date is here!” said Cha, pushing the door slightly open.

When Lya walked out and saw Brian, she clenched her jaw.

"I'm so sorry..." he apologized, rubbing his neck. "We got a show next week, we had band practice earlier. And Jimmy refused to leave for his family thing until we rehearsed. I'll just have to run back home real quick so I can get showered and dressed up for our date. You look great by the way."

She gave him a small smile and followed him out, not before shooting a I beg you please save me kind of look to Cha and Derrick.

They both got in the car, in silence. She immediately regretted her lame joke the previous week, about going out on a date and so on.

Why would they need to go on a on a date for, like really.

As soon as they got back to the apartment, Brian rushed to his room and came out a minute later, running to the bathroom. Lya made herself at home, grabbed a glass and poured in some water, walking over to the windows. She took a look outside, to the busy streets and her mind wandered off in the distance. It was harder and harder for her to find herself. She wished she had put her life on standby the day she had stepped in the bus.

It felt to her like the moment she was on a tour bus, all her troubles vanished.

She missed that feeling, letting out a sight she looked away from the window and her gaze fell on Brian, freshly showered. She must have zoned out a bit.

"Are you ready to go?" he asked.

Nodding, she headed to the sink and put down her glass.

He was dressed in jeans, with a black shirt not buttoned up entirely and some Chucks. He did made some effort and she was glad that she changed her shoes at the last minute.
Brian sneaked his arm round her waist and pressed a kiss to her temple.

"I'm really sorry Lya. I hope I'll be able to make it up for you tonight." he whispered before opening the front door for her. She gave him a small smile and led the way.
He drove off, taking her out to PCH. He parked his car and immediately asked her to close her eyes.
Lya did it, but kept thinking it was a bit silly, if he wanted to make it like in the movies, it wouldn't work with her.

She regretted even thinking that the moment Brian told her she could look and she found herself in front of a small French restaurant

The waitress leaded them to a small table in a corner.

When she came back with the menu, she couldn't help the smile that crossed her face, reading the familiar names made her heart melt.

The restaurant in itself was like a small part of France, with small objects and decorations from different regions. She stopped looking at the other table to focus on the surroundings of their own table.

"But..." she trailed off, her eyes widening. "It looks so much like Normandy..." she whispered, her eyes glued on a picture with folded umbrellas. "That looks like the Parasols de Deauville, not far from my hometown." she said, wanting to reach out and touch the frame.
Brian just smiled, proud of himself.

"There are 27 tables. Each one of them represent a region. I asked for Normandy."
She opened her mouth to talk but closed it again, lost for words.

Brian simply smiled at her and while the waitress came back and he ordered a "Monaco" while Lya's mind was racing and she simply held out her hand, showing two fingers and whispering "Two."

Lya focused back on the menu and read all the dishes at least three times, her heart whelming up. No matter what they said, even if she wasn't born in France like she used to think, she was French. There was no denying it, her heart and soul were French, with a bit of America here and there.

There were various dishes available on the menu, many with sea foods, so she settled on something else.

She tried her best to help Brian with his choice, and when the waitress came back, they were ready to order.