Status: About to be rewritten. Please read the Author's note (Chap 50) for further information. Thks x

Dreams of Tomorrow

Chapter 49.

It was close to dawn when the house phone rang.

Lya woke up with a start and grabbed the phone from her bedside table.

Normally both phones were in the living room and kitchen but she had moved one to her bedroom ever since her last visit in San Fran. She had visited her grandparents and was slightly worried about their health.
When she came back, she told Cha that she wanted one of the phone in her room. Cha made no opposition.

"Hello?" she whispered, her heart pounding in her chest, shutting her eyes as she waited for the person to speak.

"Lyyyya?"

She pinched the bridge of her nose.

"Brian..." she trailed off, glancing at the alarm clock. "It's... it's 4.23 AM."

"Already?" there was a lot of background noises. He was still at the party. "Listen, I think we are all wayyyy too drunk to drive? Can you come and pick us up?" he slurred

"You kidding right?"

"Come oooon Lya. Pretty please?" yelled Jimmy in the background.

She was well tempted to let them pass out on the floor and in their own puke or either in the car. She knew she would hate herself if any of them decide to take the car and drive, what if they killed innocent people.

"I will be there asap." she muttered, switching on the light. "What's the address again?" she asked, grabbing a sharpie and scribbling directions on her wrist.

She threw on a sweat-shirt, some jeans and socks before grabbing her purse and headed in the living room. She was searching for her shoes when Cha walked out of her room.

"Everything's fine?" she asked, her hair tied up in a messy bun, wrapped up in her sheets like a burrito, with only her red slippers showing.

"Oh Cha... Go back to sleep Baobei. It's just Brian and his drunken friends."

"How are you getting there?"

"I'll run, or walk and then take their car." she said, putting on her Chucks.

Cha shook her head, walked back into her room before coming out seconds later, with an oversized sweatshirt, still in her PJS bottom.

"I'll drop you off. Let's go." she said, slipping on some Chucks.

Lya hesitated for a few seconds, before following Cha's footsteps out of the door.

The drive to where the party was located took only a few minutes. Lya giving directions, trying to repress her anger as she tried to decipher what she had written on her wrist earlier.

"Thanks Cha, sorry for bothering you. Get back to sleep now, sorry."

"It's ok Lya, be careful."

Lya nodded and closed the door, Cha drove off.

Making her way into the house, she scrunched up her nose at the smell of sweat, alcohol, drugs all mixed together and maybe sex too.

She spotted them all piled up on the couch, drunkenly playing video games.

"Lya!!" shouted Jimmy, throwing his arms up and almost knocking out Zacky in the process.

"Let's go guys." she whispered, irritation clear on her face.

She snatched Brian's car keys from his hands and headed to the car, not even saying goodbye to whoever was hosting that party.

"Get in" she snapped, as she slide on the driver seat.

Jimmy and Zacky got into the backseat as Brian called shotgun.

"Where's Johnny?" she asked, still caring for the youngest one of those dickheads.

"Managed to hitch a ride with horny Matt. Val was responsible, she drove them back. Had to put Matt on the backseat though." said Zacky. "Speaking of horny... Can you drop me off at Gena's place?' he slurred.

"No way. You're going to sleep on the couch or in the bathtub for all I care." she said, driving off. "I'm not waking up Gena for that... Poor girl.'

"Are you mad at me? Or at us?" asked Brian, tilting his head to the side and trying to rub Lya's thigh.

"Yeah Lya, are you mad?" asked Jimmy, gripping her seat and shaking it.

"Back off Jimmy, I'm driving."

"Oh look, chewing-gum... Do you want one?" asked Zacky, his arm shooting to the front, almost blocking Lya's view. She parked the car to the side of the road, fuming and turned to face them.

"Now, you all shut up and sit straight. Yes, I am mad, beyond furious. You're all acting like drunken retards. It's close to 5 am now, I was fucking sleeping when you called me. But no one gives a damn."

Silence.

She fell back in her seat, took a deep breath and went on driving, making sure no car were coming her way.

Not a word was said during the rest of the short drive. When Lya parked the car in front of the building, she stayed seated as they all struggled to get out.

Jimmy ran to the side and threw up in the flowers before heading back to the car and putting all of his weight on Zacky's shoulder.
"Let's go up, up, up!" he screamed.

Lya furiously got out, grabbed Jimmy by the wrist and pulled him into the building.
"Oh yeah... I like it rough baby" he said wiggling his eyebrows. "Shut up James." she snarled, dragging him up the stairs to their door. She held out her hand for their keys, having forgotten hers in her room.

"Come and get it." he said, before making a kissy face and running his hand up and down his shirt.

She rolled her eyes and waited for Brian to show up. When he finally got there, she went straight for his jeans pocket and took out his keys.
"You should keep them with your car keys." she said.

"Why does he get the chance to be felt up and not me?" asked Jimmy, throwing his arms up.

"That's cause she's my girl." said Brian, wiggling his eyebrows, wrapping his arm around her shoulders..

"Oh my..." she mumbled, shrugging him off and trying to unlock the door.

Zacky headed straight for the couch, Jimmy went on to his room and Brian headed for his own, taking Lya's hand.

"No... no, no, no." she mumbled, when Brian started taking off his T-shirt. "I'm leaving."

"Oh come on Lya, you know I missed you..." he whispered, walking closer to her and trapping her between his body and the door. "Didn't you miss me?" he whispered, his face close to hers.

She would have gave up her resolution, but the smell of alcohol and smoke was too strong. It took a lot of self-control for her to push him off.

"I'll come back when you're sober." she whispered, hurt flashing on her face as she walked out of his room.
Zacky was already snoring when she dropped Brian's house keys and car keys in the kitchen.

She pulled her hood up, closed the door and shoved her hands in her pockets as she jogged down the stairs and out of their building.

Lya stretched her arms above her head, before taking off jogging back to the place she shared with Cha.

By the time she got back, the sun was rising and it was past 6 AM. Kicking off her shoes, she headed straight for a shower, knowing well she wouldn't be able to go back to sleep.

**

Lya was grumpy when Cha woke up. She was laying on the couch, her feet up, flickering through the channels absent mindingly. She hadn't move for the last two hours.

"If I make you some fried rice, will you feel better?" asked Cha, around lunch time, crouching next to Lya's head. She had kept quiet the morning, waiting for Lya to speak but she hadn't said a word. So she knew Lya was beyond grumpy, she was upset.

Lya turned her blank face towards her friend, "Sure."

"Come on Lya... They were drunk, that's what stupid boys do... I got the same you know... In pocket version, but still. And it doesn't stop me from loving him and him from loving me." said Cha, patting Lya's head before standing up again.

"Can I have some kimchi with the rice?" asked Lya, sitting up after spending a morning taking up all the space on the couch.

Cha smiled and headed for the kitchen.

"So, when is lover boy coming to apologize?" asked Cha, opening the fridge.

"I don't want to see him right now..." Lya said, sitting on the couch and looking at Cha, her back turned to the TV. "He's probably still passed out."

"I want to tell you that you're being childish and taking things out of proportion but it's probably just your coping mechanism." said Cha, chopping off the ingredients.

"Don't start Cha..." whispered Lya, letting herself fall on the couch once more.

"Fine, but I still think I'm right though."

Lya grabbed the nearest cushion and put it on her face. She stayed like that, lulled by the sound of the TV in the background. She only got up when the smelled of Cha's cooking hit her nostrils.

"I'm starving..." said Lya, sitting on a stool, clapping her hands happily as Cha put a plate of chicken fried rice in front of her. As soon as Cha handed her the spoon, Lya made a move to start, but managed to refrain herself until Cha was sitting by her side, with her plate.

"God... at least you wait until I'm sitting next to you..." whispered Cha, "Derrick doesn't have that decency."

"He's a guy... Decency doesn't apply to them." mumbled Lya, between two spoons. "I love it, it's delicious."

"Slow down Lya, there's still plenty."

Lya kept eating until she felt completely full. She felt like a balloon when she tried to do the washing up while Cha was putting the rest of the fried rice in a small box.

Once she was done, Lya headed for her room, putting on some Direstrait music, before laying on the bed, soon drifting off to sleep.

She awoke when she felt her mattress sink a bit. She opened one eye and saw Brian. Lya groaned and turned around, turning her back to him.

"I'm sorry Lya." he said, climbing further on her bed and brushing some hair out of her face.

"Humph." she muttered. "For what?"

"I know you saw me and Jimmy yesterday. It was just some fun you know..." he trailed off. "I'm not an addict or anything."

"Not yet at least." she replied, turning to face him, her eyes barely opened. "I don't want to discuss this now Brian. You had fun, I'm glad. I'm taking a nap."

"I feel like you're mad." he said, making sure the door was closed before taking off his jeans.

"I am... It's just that I don't understand you or the guys." she said, hoping to close the subject.

"It's just fun." he said, laying down next to her.

She let out a heartbreaking sigh.

"If inhaling or absorbing substances that make you feel weird and do stupid shit while affecting your health is your definition of fun, we are going to have a problem." she said. "It's okay, go ahead, have fun! But be sure to read the newspapers or watch TV once in a while... So many kids spoiling their childhood, parents losing their child, or children losing their parents..." she said.

Brian rubbed his neck.

"I am not telling you not to do it." she said. "I just want you to be reminded that you are not alone. One night of fun and it can be your last. You be might be gone, but your parents won't... and I won't."

"If it's your own personal way of saying you care about me, thanks, but you could have just said it." he whispered, running his fingers on her cheek.

"Would you rather I was being indifferent? I can manage that, but you might not like it." she muttered, swatting his hand away.

"I love you too Lya." he said, kissing her lips before opening up his arms. She sighed and snuggled closer to him, wrapping her arm around his torso and inhaling his scent before falling back asleep.

**

Derrick had showed up on Saturday, about a week after Lya's brief explanation with Brian.
She had been happy, and slightly relieved to see him. Cha would be busy with him and might cut her some slack, while Brian would have some company if Lya and Cha decided to go out.

It was Sunday morning when Brian yawned as he rolled around in bed, surprised by Lya's absence.
He opened his eyes slowly and found something clogging his vision. He patted his forehead and found a piece of paper.
Pulling it off, he let out a slight scream of pain as the sticky note left his forehead.

He held the note in front of him and smiled at Lya's handwriting.

"Had some errand to run, and went to pick up Cha's brother from the airport. Will see you in a few hours.
Love you xxx"

He placed the sticky note on the bedside table and made himself at home in Lya and Cha's apartment.

Brian made sure to wear some sweat pants and a T-shirt before heading for the kitchen, keeping in mind that time when he walked out in boxers, only to find Derrick, in boxers too, eating cereals. It got really awkward when Cha walked out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her body and Lya, in the same outfit, only in different color, on her way to the bathroom.
From that moment on, they decided that for everyone's sake, clothes were compulsory outside of the bedrooms.

He grabbed a bowl and poured some cereals and milk before joining Derrick on the couch.

"Morning."

"Morning."

When he looked at Derrick, Brian noticed a small mark on his forehead.

"You got the sticky note too?" he asked, munching on his cereals.

Derrick smiled, while zapping the channels. "Yeah,I'm used to it. I get it that Lya wrote you one."

Brian nodded, rubbing his forehead.

"At least they get to the point." added Derrick, settling on MTV.

Brian whispered his approval and kept eating the cereals. Neither of them were morning persons.

After a few minutes, he went to the kitchen, rinsed his bowl and went back to Lya's room, to grab some change.

He opened the curtains and opened the window before grabbing the towel on the desk chair. His swift moves made a pile of paper flew to the carpeted floor.

"Fuck" he muttered, as he crouched down and gathered the various documents. His eyes wandered on the documents, and something caught his attention. An envelope, obviously already opened but the stamp and sender's address caught his attention. He quickly put them back, grabbed the towel, his bag and headed for the bathroom.

"Hey Derrick?" asked Brian, stopping on his way to the bathroom.

"Yeah?"

"Does... Fort Jackson ring any bells to you?" asked Brian, slightly nervous for no apparent reason.

Derrick looked up from the screen.
"It's in South Carolina, no?"

"Other than that?"

"I think we did a show there... but I don't know much more, sorry." said Derrick.

"Oh ok, just wondering, thanks." he said, proceeding to the bathroom.

He tried to push the thought to the back of his head, promising himself to try and talk to Lya about it.

The morning went by smoothly, watching TV with Derrick when Lya and Cha came back with bags full of groceries and Lya's jeans completely ruined with grease and oil.

"What happened?" asked Brian, looking at the two young woman in the hall.

"Had to change a tire." said Lya, handing the bag she was holding to Cha, before heading for the sink.

"Of course, it happened once Cha's brother was in the car." Lya added, scrubbing her dirty hands. "Nice guy, except for the part where he thought he could do it better than me."

"He works in cars Lya..." said Cha, smiling at her friend's attitude.

"He might be working with cars for all I care. I know how to change a tire." she said, heading for her room to grab some clean pants.

Cha chuckled and started to unload the bags.

"How do you even know how to change a tire?" asked Derrick. "You don't even have a car."

Lya glared daggers at him, as she walked out of her room. "I heard you." she said, unamused. "My grandfather knows his way around cars. He helped Jimmy quite a few times and he showed me how to change a tire. Do not underestimate me, Whibbley."

"Ooooh, back to family name, hey?"

"Only when you bother me."

"It must happen quite often then..." said Brian, a smile on his face.

"Not you too... Haner."

"Ouch." he whispered, holding his hand to his heart. "That hurts."

"I sure hope it does." she mumbled.

"Neither less, my brother thinks you're funny." said Cha, handing the vegetables to Derrick. "So, you coming with me for coffee? I have to pick him up from my uncle's place."

"I am so not joining you guys for coffee tomorrow." said Lya, taking the toilet papers from the bag and handing the package to Brian.

"What am I supposed to do with that?" asked Brian, a puzzled look on his face.

"You know where to put the package, you and Derrick use the most of it." said Cha, nodding in direction to the bathroom.

Brian and Derrick both rolled their eyes, knowing better than to argue with Cha.

"If you put them on the shelf yourself, you will know where to find it when you run out of paper... Instead of screaming for help." added Cha. "So please, take Derrick with you, to show him."

"Are you two women PMSing at the same time? Because if so, I'm taking Brian out for the week end. I don't want my head ripped off by either of you." said Derrick, carefully looking at his girlfriend while trying to keep an eye on Lya who just smacked him upside the head.

"Move your skinny asses out of the way, both of you." called out Lya.

Brian dropped the bag of toilet papers in the bathroom and followed Derrick to the couch.

**
Derrick had been there for a week and Brian had went back to his place to deal with tour's matter. But he had called earlier asking if he could stay at their place before leaving for tour. Since neither Lya nor Cha had to get up to go to college, they were working full time at the restaurant. Derrick knew about it, since Lya had covered for Cha's quite a few times, but Cha had taken her week off to stay with Derrick and Lya was supposed to cover for her.

She had managed, until Brian's call. The excuse she used this time was dinner with Cha, Derrick and Cha's brother.

Lya had her hair tied up, her grey T-shirt was covered with the black apron as she was cleaning the table after the customers had left. It was a busy night for a Tuesday.
She had some distraction with Cha, Derrick and Sean eating at a table in a corner. She wasn't totally lying, they were at the same place together.

"Lya?"

"Comin'!" she said, rushing to the kitchen to grab the next dishes for the table of five.

"That's Lya's favorite restaurant, it's Cha's uncle who actually owns it, I believe. Been there a few times, it's really nice..."

Cha's eyes widened in fear as she saw Johnny and some of his friends.

"Hey, how can I help you?" Lya asked, wiping her hands on her apron as she headed for the counter before looking up at the new customers.

"Lya?"

"..." she gulped. "Hi?"

"What are you doing here Lya?" asked Zacky, surprised.

"Working, obviously..." said Johnny, smiling at Lya.

"Cha took her week off." said Lya, trying to keep her face straight. "I'm just filling up. So, take away or are you going to eat here?"

"Take away." said Johnny, lightly pushing Zacky off as Lya handed them the menu.

"For Brian, Jimmy and Matt as well?" she asked, taking her note pad. Zacky nodded, speechless. "The girls?"

"Only Lacey, my girlfriend." added Johnny.

"I will take the spicy soup, like last time." said Gena, giving a warming smile at Lya. "And the suggestion of the chef."

"Last time?" asked Zack, looking at his girlfriend in disbelief.

“Didn’t I just say that I’ve been there before?” asked Gena, cocking an eyebrow. “You should really pay attention to when people are taking to you.” She said, rolling her eyes.

Lya tried to hide her smile as she scribbled Gena’s order.

"It's really nice." said Gena, "That's why I suggested we come here tonight."

Johnny leaned further on the counter, scanning the menu.
"What do you suggest Lya?" said Johnny, not paying attention to Zack's curious gaze.

"Depends Johnny, chicken fried rice is good. I tasted almost everything in the menu, everything is good. I don't know about the sea food though, but Cha said it was good."

Johnny nodded to himself, before pointing to various dishes, "Matt.", "Jimmy."

"Brian." said Lya, pointing at the chicken noodles with her pen. "And maybe the spring rolls for Lacey." she suggested.

Johnny nodded, satisfied with Lya's choices.

She shot them a smile and turned her back to them, handing the orders to the cook in the kitchen.
Something in Chinese was said and Lya replied, just as fluently, a smile on her face. Something else was said and she made the 'ok' sign with her hand.

"It will be ready in 20 minutes." she said, "You can sit for a while." she said, pointing to the table next to the counter.

Zack had a frown on his face while Gena and Johnny looked happy.

Lya showed up a few minutes later, with three glasses and a basket of shrimp crisps.

"It's on the house." she said with a small smile.

"You work here don't you?" asked Zacky.

"Well, like I said, I'm filling in for Cha's..." she trailed off, before sighing deeply. “Listen Zack, I know we’ve had our difference in the past, but what I do in my own free time doesn’t concern anyone. I am working to pay the rent, food and other expenses. You can't blame me for that.”

“…” Zacky stayed silent, frowning.

“I know you didn’t mean to sound bad or anything, it’s just… I’ve heard my share of the guys’ lame jokes about me asking for money from my dad. Just know that I’ve been working here for quite a few months, no one had to complain about it. So go ahead, go back and tell everyone. I’m ready to tell them all to fuck off.” She said, not an ounce of anger in her voice, she simply looked exhausted. Exhausted to find excuses for every time she had to work, for running back to her place to change before going to meet the guys… She had enough.

“I’m tired of pretending. I’m sorry you were the one to show up here on my working day.” She said, bowing her head slightly before heading back to the kitchen. She made a stop at Cha’s table and took out some empty plates. A few words were exchanged, a sad smile from Lya and she disappeared behind the counter.

“I can’t believe no one noticed.” Said Zack, slightly upset.

“You guys should cut her some slack. Her situation is peculiar, from what I heard. I think she did quite allright. Thousands of kids have to work part-time jobs to pay for their studies. She’s no exception.” Said Gena, smiling gently at Zack, her hand on his wrist.

"I knew." said Johnny. "I didn't know what exactly, but I knew she was working part time."

They started talking about other topics, and soon Lya came back with their orders neatly packed.

When Zack made a move to take his wallet, Lya shook her head.

“It’s on me.” She said, smiling. “See you later guys, enjoy your meal.”

**

"Is everything all right Lya?" asked Derrick as Cha had left to the bathroom and Sean, Cha's brother, was talking to his uncle. Fighting with him to pay for the meals.

She shrugged, half-heartedly.
"I'm apprehending... I don't want anyone to tell me what to do... It's going to be: Billie Joe can sign you a check... and so on. Anyway, you, Cha and Sean can enjoy your evening together, don't mind me Derrick. It had to happen sooner or later. This went on for too long." Lya said, a resigned look on her face.

Lya hang back her apron, said her goodbyes to Cha's family and left the restaurant, shoving her hands in her hoodie's pocket.

She sniffed her shoulder and made a face. Even if Zack had kept his mouth shut, the smell would give her away. Lya took a deep breath and shook her head at herself.
Only a few more weeks and she would be off to Fort Jackson, better to stop the masquerade now.

The walk to Brian and Jimmy's place seemed surprisingly short for once, her mind racing.

When she pushed the door opened, she was met with a cloud of smoke and her nose scrunched up, as always.

Brian was playing guitar in one of the armchair, Matt and Jimmy were playing video games on the floor. Zack was trying to find more beer, Gena was probably off to the bathroom and a brunette was smiling gently at Lya. Probably Johnny's girlfriend.

Lya made her way towards them, her head low.

“Yo Jackie Chan! You done with the fried rice and spring rolls?” asked Jimmy, barely looking away from the game he was playing with Matt.

Johnny carefully glanced at Lya, mentally preparing himself to interfere if things got heated.

Lya glanced at the back of his head, took a deep breath and said a few sounds in what sounded like Chinese.

“What?” asked Jimmy, turning to look at her once again.

“Jackie Chan told you to fuck off.” She said, sitting on a stool, grabbing her chopsticks and started eating the plate Johnny had put in front of her.

Jimmy put the game on pause, and was about to get up when Matt stopped him and forced him to finish the game.

Johnny sighed and spoke out:
"I don't think you met properly before, Lacey this is Lya, my sister from another mother. Lya, my girlfriend Lacey."

"Hey." she whispered, waving awkwardly.

"Hey." waved back Lacey. "I think we saw each other at the funfair once, but it was brief."

"I really like the spring rolls, thanks for the suggestion." said Lacey, smiling.

Lya let out a small breath of relief.
"Thank you Lacey." she said, with a small smile as she kept eating, her gaze drifting off to Brian who was playing guitar.
He briefly looked up, met her gaze but looked away quickly.

She rubbed her face tiredly. Even Brian was against her this time.

"Hey, why don't we all head out to Johnny's bar?" suggested Zacky, seeing Lya's face and sensing the awkward atmosphere.

"NOOOOOOO!"
All heads turned to look at Jimmy who had just screamed out, after losing against Matt. "I meant, okay for Johnny's but fuck. I lost. "

It was awkward as everyone started to get up to head to Johnny's while Lya was sitting at the counter, eating.

"Should I wait for you or assume you're going to get there by yourself?" asked Brian, putting back his guitar in its case.

Lacey was looking at Lya, her hand on Johnny's arm.
"She can drive with us." she whispered.

"I will be right there." she said, trying to eat faster.

"Go on Brian, I will wait for Jackie Chan." said Jimmy.

Her eyes widened slightly in fear and anticipation.

As everyone had left, Jimmy sat opposite Lya, his eyes burning holes in her skull as she stayed focused on her plate.

"Ok Jackie Chan, I'm gonna do the talking. You go to college, fine, you graduated, good I'm proud of you... But why the hell did you wait until the end of the school year to let us know that you've been working part-time?"

"I don't see how that is any of your concern."

"It is... you could have asked us if you needed money, or ask your Dad."

She slammed both hands on the counter, hard, making the chopsticks rolled down to the floor.
"Shut up. Shut the fuck up Sullivan. I have been dealing with your shit for the past 6 months or so.
My mother's dead, DEAD and how the hell do you think I can go up to Billie Joe and ask him for money for something he doesn't even want me to do? I'm sick of your bullshit, of you, always trying to tell me what's better for me.
What's better for you would be to be stop smoking, drinking and taking drugs. But I keep my mouth shut, it's your life, your body. I don't give a damn. But you... You keep telling me that whatever I'm doing is wrong and so on.
I worked part time to help pay the rent and prevent myself from using all of my mother's heritage. I fail to see how that concerns you Jimmy. Instead of being supportive, you keep talking shit, making jokes on me. Just fuck off..."

"Hey Lya, you..." he said, trying to reach out to touch her arm.

"No!" she snapped, jerking her arm off and jumping off the stool.

"I can't deal with you, Brian and Billie Joe. I need a fucking break. From all of you, for my own sake. I'm going to Fort Jackson, for Initial Entry Training." she said, "There, you know everything! I'm going to enroll and with some luck I will be departed in some country on the other side of the world, away from you guys." she vented, heading for the front door.

"Lya!" Jimmy ran out after her, catching her before she reached the stairs.

"Fuck off." she snapped, trying to push him away.

Without a word, he threw her over his shoulder and headed back inside, closing the door behind him.

He let her down on the couch. She got up immediately.

"You should think about it Athalya... You can't make this decision lightly."

"It's already signed and done and I'm leaving in three weeks."

Jimmy felt like his legs were turning into jelly as he tried to sit down.

"Ha... have you told Brian?" he asked, his mind racing.

"Not yet. I will, eventually." she mumbled, heading for the door. Jimmy managed to get up just in time and grabbed her by the waist, pulling her towards him.

"This is insane Lya."

"No, it's not. It's my choice, I did it on my own free-will. Get off." she raged, slamming her hands on his chest.

Jimmy took her wrists with his hand and held them at her side, starring at her.

"You can't go, you can't leave..." he whispered.

"Who cares..." she spat, her head turned to the side. Jimmy cupped her face and forced her to look at him.

His mind was racing as memories flashed in his mind. All the lost opportunities he had, all the time he stepped back because of Brian, all the cherish moment they had, just the two of them... It was now or never.

Jimmy leaned forward and pressed his lips on Lya's, taking her by surprise. It only lasted a few seconds and Jimmy rested his forehead against Lya.
"I care." he breathed out, his eyes closed.

Lya's heart was pounding in her chest, she took a step forward and wrapped her arms around his torso.

Jimmy wrapped his arms around her, squeezing her, never wanting to let go as dozens of scenarios played in his mind.

"You smell like fried rice." he said, his head resting on top of hers.

She pushed him of gently.
"I'm gonna wash my hair." she whispered, heading for the bathroom.

Lya stayed against the closed door for a moment, trying to process everything that had happened.

She shook her head and stripped down, taking a quick shower and washing her hair. Wrapping a towel around her hair and one around her body, she hurriedly got out of the bathroom and to Brian's room.
Lya searched for some decent clothes to wear and quickly got dressed, tied her hair up, put on some light make up and got out.

Jimmy was waiting for her, his hyper self again.

No words were exchanged during the drive, only Jimmy making useless comments, changing the radio channels and so on.
Lya didn’t open her mouth, not once, still processing how she had started yelling at Jimmy only to have him kissing her the next minute.

What did it mean?

Probably nothing, he was probably half drunk when it happened, he wanted her to shut up and only found this method. It worked.

Lya rested her forehead on the window and looked at the bright lights, on their way to the bar.

She felt tired, exhausted even. As if every fiber and cells on her body were tired of pretending.

Jimmy parked the car too soon for her liking and she took her time getting out.

When they got inside, they waved at the bartender and headed straight for the end of the bar, in a corner with the worn out leather sofa and the pool table. With no mistakes, they were there.

“Jackie Chan is back!” said Jimmy, plopping down next to Johnny.

When Lya heard him say that, she knew she shouldn’t think too much about what had happened.

She wanted to get smashed today, ease the turmoil of thoughts in her mind.

Lya hadn’t sat down that she headed back for the bar, ordering a Mojito. She downed half of it, in two large gulps before taking her drink and Jimmy’s beer back to the table.

Lacey waved Lya forward, patting the empty space next to her. She sat down, and smiled at Johnny’s very nice girlfriend.

“How long have you known the guys?” Lacey asked, with Gena sitting opposite her, but in deep conversation with Zack and Matt. The seat opposite Lya was vacant.

“I’m not sure… A few years? I met them during our last year of high school.” Said Lya, playing with her straw.

“It must have been hard for you to fit in at that time, no? Even though now everyone loves you…” It wasn’t mean, Lya knew that Lacey didn’t mean any harm but she could stop herself from replying:

“It’s still hard to fit in. I never really fitted in, I’m here because I’m Brian’s girlfriend. I’m pretty sure that the moment we break up, I will end up friendless.”

Lacey frowned, “I don’t think Johnny, Jimmy or the girls would stop talking to you because of something that happened between you and Brian.”

Lya gave her a small smile. “Thanks but yeah, I don’t think it will be that easy if a break up happens.”

“Who’s breaking up?” asked Jimmy, planting himself on the seat in front of Lya.

Lya rolled her eyes, downed her drink and went to ask for more.

*****

She found herself really tipsy, with Brian still avoiding her. He busied himself with a pool game with Zacky, Matt and Johnny. After a while, she saw him pat Matt’s back and headed to the bar.

The waiter shot her a bright smile as he handed her the glass. She shot him a smile and took it, taking a long sip.

She felt the need to speak up, so she stood up abruptly, feeling the world around her spin lightly.

“Everyone!” she called. “Woowoo!” she tried, waving her hand.

Jimmy picked her up on his shoulder, without much warning. She almost spilled her drink on his head out of surprise. She had to keep her back slightly bent so she wouldn’t hit her head on the ceiling.

"Everyone!" she called again, taping her silver pendant on her glass.

No one was looking at her, still engrossed in their drinking games and discussion. She felt Jimmy's burning hands on her tights.

"I just wanted to say that… that…” she trailed off, seeing no one paying attention to her, but Jimmy, trying to look up at her. “Oh fuck off! Fuck you all! No one gives a flying fuck about me anyway!” she tried. No reaction. “Ok, fine, don't listen to me... Cheers!" she said, before downing her glass. Jimmy grabbed her pulled her down, carrying her bridal style. They looked at each other for a brief second, before he set her down. He tried to offer her a sip of his beer but she shook her head and headed for the bathroom.

**

Brian was staring at the melting ice cubs in his glass, his thoughts drifting back to earlier that evening :

"Guess who's back with food!" called out Johnny, heading for the small coffee table at the center to drop the food.

Zack took out his wallet, and handed back the money to Brian while Gena sat on the sofa.

"You robbed the restaurant?" asked Brian, looking at Zacky curiously, taking back the cash.

"The boss didn't go kung fu on your ass?" asked Jimmy, starting playing with the bamboo chopsticks. "I am practicing..."

Matt rolled his eyes and helped Johnny taking out the various boxes from the bags.

"Actually it's the future Mrs. Haner that is feeding your asses tonight." said Zacky, letting himself fall on the couch, and putting his arm around Gena's shoulder.

"Future Mrs. Haner?" asked Jimmy, frowning.

"Lya? What was she doing here?" asked Brian, frowning.

"Helping us choose the food" added Zack, taking one box and handed it to a puzzled Brian. "Your future wife's suggestion."

"Wh-" started Brian, frowning.

"What the hell, hold on!" screamed Jimmy, waving his arms around with the chopsticks. "You guys are getting married and no one told me?" he asked, pointing a chopstick in direction of Brian.

"He hasn't asked yet." said Matt, grabbing a shrimp crisp.

"Because you all know he's going to propose but I don't?" asked Jimmy, blinking.

"We ran into him while he went shopping for the ring." said Zack. "Don't take it personally Jim'."

"But like... you were going to propose before asking me or her father?" asked Jimmy, as he started eating.

"Asking her father...?" asked Brian, frowning. "And would I ask you?"

"I am her best friend. Of course you should ask me. And I can totally see that..." said Jimmy, dragging the word totally. "Breaking news: Promising guitarist savagely attacked by lead singer of pop-punk band. Reason: the guitarist wanted to marry the singer's daughter. It would sell well!" commented Jimmy, smiling to himself.

Matt looked at Brian, and mimicked to be attacking him with a guitar. He laughed to himself, followed by Jimmy.

"Come on! Her father ain't like that..." said Gena, her head tilted to the side as she looked at Zack for support. He stopped eating, planted the chopsticks and raised both hands and shook his head.

"Psshht, Lya told you not to plant the chopsticks in the rice!" said Johnny, nudging Zack's shoe.

Zacky rolled his eyes and picked up the food.

Brian knew better than to ask Zack again, so he waited until Johnny headed for the bathroom. When he walked out, Brian dragged him to Jimmy's room, blocking the door with his foot.

"It smells awful here..."

"You can't get out until you explain. What was Lya doing at the restaurant?"

"Eating? With Cha, Derrick and Cha's brother?" he said, shrugging his shoulder.

"Johnny..." he trailed off, reaching out to grab one of Jimmy's dirty T-shirt laying on the bed.

"Working, she was working. Sorry!" he said, taking a step back, a disgusted look on his face.

"Working?" asked Brian, before the door busted open with Jimmy rushing in.

"What are you two doing in my room?" he asked, closing the door behind him. "A secret reunion?"

"Shortshit was telling me that Lya's been working."

"Working? Where?"

"At Cha's uncle's restaurant." mumbled Brian, rubbing his face.

"Brian, don't be mad at her for not telling you, ok? She has her reasons."

"What kind of reasons?" asked Jimmy, frowning.

"Many understandable reasons. She will tell you herself if she wants to." mumbled Johnny, trying to push pas them.

Jimmy got out, rolling his eyes while Brian extended his arm to block out Johnny.
"Did she ever mentioned Fort Jackson to you?" he asked.

By the look of incomprehension on Shortshit's face, Brian knew he was clueless. He took out his arm, letting Johnny leave the smelly room.


Brian rubbed his face, feeling lost.
It wasn't such a big deal for her to work, he knew that... His pride was hurt because she hadn't told him. It made him question if proposing to her was such a good idea.
What else could she be hiding from him? He shook his head lightly. He knew something was up with Fort Jackson but she hadn't mentioned it yet, not even to Johnny.

He lifted his head after a while and saw Lya, up on Jimmy's shoulder, talking but with no one listening to her. She stayed up there for a minute and rolled her eyes before Jimmy helped her back down. He tried to offer her a swig of his drink but she refused, heading for the bathroom.

Brian sighed and called the bartender, asking for a mojito.

When Lya walked out, looking preoccupied, he reached out and waved his hand in front of her face, before patting the wooden stool next to him.
The bartender placed the mojito in front of her and Brian asked for another whisky.

"Thanks for dinner tonight, it was nice.' he said.

Lya's face heated up instantly.
"You're welcome, but I didn't made it."

"You put it in boxes?" he asked.

"I didn't do that either." she said, before taking a sip of her drink. "I mainly took the orders, put the boxes in the bags, took the bags to the guys and paid."

Brian thanked the bartender before trying to focus back on Lya.

"Do you like it? Working there I mean..."

"It's ok, Cha's family is really nice. Business is good and they're really nice on the tips." she said, tugging a stray of hair behind her ears. She sighed. "I'm sorry I didn't told you before. I didn't know how you would react and I wasn't ready to face everyone's questions or jokes about Chinese, dog meat and so on."

"Lya, if you needed mo-..." he started but Lya cut him off, raising her hand.

"Don't..." she mumbled, before taking a sip. 'I don't want to hear it Brian. You're as poor as me, you not a rockstar yet, how could you afford your rent your parties and my tuition fees and expenses? I love you but don't overestimate yourself Brian. And no, I couldn't possibly ask for Billie Joe's money. I already refused the car as a birthday present. I could managed, I did. I graduated, even-though no one noticed or cared." she trailed off, before resting her head on her palm, looking at Brian.

"Are you still going to work there now that you graduated?" he asked, avoiding to look at her.

Lya dreaded that kind of discussion.
She tried to keep her cool.
"Do you think it's the right place to talk about that? Aren’t we supposed to party tonight?" she asked, tilting her head to the side and smiling at Brian, hoping to drop the subject.

"Lya... I've been meaning to ask you... What's in Fort Jackson?"

She blinked at tried to keep her calm. This definitely wasn't how she wanted to tell him. She could play dumb and talked about the suburbs of the city and stuff, but she knew better.
"Brian, what do you mean what's in Fort Jackson?" she asked, playing on the fact that he seemed slightly tipsy.

"I saw a letter coming from there, it wasn't intentional. I knocked out a pile of documents, without paying attention." he said, reaching out for his glass. Lya put her hand on his wrist, not wanting him to spit out the liquor while she talked. "Why would you receive a letter from Fort Jackson?"

"Actually, I have been meaning to talk to you about it, but never really figured out how or when... So fine, you're asking, might as well say it. I will be going to Fort Jackson, soon and I will stay there for ten weeks at least."

"Wh-" she knew what he was going to ask.

Lya tried to be brave and looked Brian in the eyes before saying: "I am going there for Initial Entry Training." when she saw the confusion on his face, she added: "Bootcamp."

She tried to keep a straight and calm face as she saw Brian's face dropping, his face become as white as a ghost.

He stayed silent for a moment, and Lya wished she knew what he was thinking.

Brian took a deep breath and opened his mouth to speak "I wanted to go to SF, to see my mother. If you still have time before leaving, we could go together?"

"Sure, it would be nice." she whispered, not knowing what to expect. He kept a calm but pale face as he downed his whisky. "I'll call her tomorrow. We could go next week end?" he asked, getting off the stool.

"Yeah, ok."

Lya remained seated as he stood up.
"You coming?" he asked, seeing Lya still sitting on the wooden stool. "Aren't we supposed to party tonight?"

She followed him, sliding her hand in his, wishing she could read his mind.

**

It was Monday, and what better way to start off the week than calling Lya. That was Billie Joe's thought.

Billie Joe had the phone against his ear, while Adie was busying herself with whatever.

It had been a few minutes already and he was dying to ask a question, so he took a deep breath and finally blurted it out.

"Lya, are you coming to Oakland anytime soon?"

"Yeah, actually we might be in San Francisco next week end."

"We? What do you mean by we?" he asked, frowning as Adie next to him on the couch.

"We're going to see Brian's mother."

"Oh..." replied Billie Joe, still frowning.

"Invite them over!" whispered Adie, "Hold on." BJ covered the end of the phone: "No way!" he hissed.

"You want to see her or not?" she asked, her arms crossed over her chest. "I want to see her, the kids want to see her so get over your pride and invite them over."

"Fine..." he muttered, taking his hand off the phone.

"Listen little girl, why don't you and Brian come over for the week end? You could arrive early and stay with us for a couple of days? Unless you were planning to stay at Brian's mother's place?" asked Billie Joe, trying to sound cheerful while pinching the bridge of his nose. He was already regretting it.

"For real?" she asked, her voice raising. "That would be so cool! Thanks Dad!"

Adie smiled, content with herself as she could hear Lya's excited voice.

"You're welcome anytime, you know that Lya..." he added.

"Thanks Dad! It's awesome, I will check with Brian and let you know! I'm so excited! We will probably have to leave sooner than planned then."

"All right, all right Lya... I'm happy too. Call us soon to confirm, m'kay? Love you, bye."

"Love you Dad, give everyone a hug for me!"

Billie Joe hang up the phone and threw it on the couch, sighing heavily.

"Fuck. Fuck. Fuck."

"Come on Billie, as soon as you will see Lya, your annoyance with Brian will vanish."

"Maybe... it will come back when I see him lurking around Lya." he said.

"Stop being a drama queen. Poor kid isn't lurking around Lya, he's just in love. Leave them be. Lya's probably ecstatic that you asked them to come over."

"But it's a lie. I don't want him here."

"Billie Joe, it's not a lie. It's called being nice and caring for your da- , for your children." said Adie. "I would rather have her here for the week end, even with her boyfriend, than not having her at all. Also, Brian is a very nice kid."

"Fine, fine, whatever... But Brian is sleeping in the guest room." he said, getting up from the couch.

"Oh my. Billie Joe, who are you kidding? Lya is almost 22 now, she's not thirteen and Brian is good looking." said Adie, heading for the kitchen with a smile on her face. Waiting for Billie Joe's reaction.

"Good looking? Are you kidding me?" he asked, aghast, standing in the middle of the room.

"Come on Billie... Do you think he's ugly?" she asked, looking at him from over her shoulder, raising an eyebrow, trying to fight off a smile.

"Well, he's... decent I will say." he mumbled.

Adie stifled a laugh.
"You're funny when you get all protective."

"It's my duty..." he added, crossing his arms over his chest before heading towards the fridge.

Adie walked towards him and took his face between her hands.
"Honey... Lya is growing up. Pretty soon she will talk wedding, babies, buying a house... She's not a little girl anymore..."

"But..." he started, looking at his wife.

"I know, I know... But even though she got used to calling you her dad, you're not. I'm just concerned that if you keep getting over protective all the time, she'll snap saying something hurtful, you will get upset and stop talking to her for whatever reason."

"No, I wou-" he tried again.

"Yes, yes you would. You did it before. This is a complicated time Billie Joe. Lya is growing up, fast. She's slowly turning fully adult."

"But..." she cut him off again.

"She is Billie, face it. I know you still see her as the little baby she was when you guys went to see Shania at the maternity, but it was two decades ago... Twenty years Billie Joe, and you spent the better part miles away. She doesn't remember you taking her to the park when she started to walk, or Tré and Mike fighting over who would push her on the swings. She doesn't remember any of this. All she remembers is the you she met when she got here." Adie rubbed his cheek with her thumb. "Athalya grew up with Shania, in France. Meaning that even though she was born here, she grew up in another country and you weren't there. You didn't even existed to her, except through music. None of us knows who is Lya's father, but Shania asked you to be her father figure. Things happened, she left. Even after spending more than fifteen years apart, Shania's will remained the same, she still wanted you to take care of the most precious thing she had. Don't blow it all away because you don't like her boyfriend. She calls you Dad and worships you as a musician but don't take it for granted." concluded Adie, getting on her toes to kiss Billie Joe's forehead.

** Meanwhile

Lya put the phone back on the counter and ran to the bathroom, pounding on the door.

What, Jimmy I'm in here. Don't break the door.

"Brian, it's me. I just got off the phone with my Dad... Can we go early? He asked if we wanted to come. Can you believe it! My dad actually asked us to come over!" she said, not being able to hide her excitement. "Is it ok with you? Can we leave Wednesday? Oh, no... Wait! Tuesday night! So we can surprise them for breakfast. Is it ok?”

Brian was silent for a second, he could totally see Lya jumping up and down in excitation. He took a deep breath.
Sure... I will check with the guys and warn my mother. We're leaving tomorrow...

"I love you!' she screamed, clapping her hands and rushing back to the kitchen. Brian rolled his eyes, focusing back on shaving, fighting off a smile.

Lya grabbed the phone, dialed the number and put it to her ear.

"Dad! It's me again! We are leaving tomorrow, we will be there Wednesday. Don't tell the boys! Love you see you soon!” and she hung up, just like that.

Lya put down the floor and ran for Brian’s room, almost running into Jimmy.

“What the hell Lya?” asked Jimmy, peeking in the room as he saw Lya taking Brian’s bag and taking some of his clothes, putting them in the bags.

“We’re going to San Francisco tomorrow!” she said, shooting him a bright smile that took him by surprise.

“You’re taking the plane or something?” he asked, leaning against the door frame.

“No… we’re driving. Brian said something about the plane, I forgot.” She said, waving her hand in a dismissive manner.

The ring. he thought, remembering when Brian had showed him the small square box. He had planned to propose during that week end.

Jimmy hadn’t ask if Brian knew about Lya’s enrollment… None of them mentioned it and he guessed that none of their friends knew.

“Behave yourself while you’re here by yourself!” she said, running around the room. “Don’t make a mess, or if you do, clean after yourself. I don’t want to come back Monday and have to clean up.” She said. “Wait…” she said, heading for Brian’s socks drawer.

Jimmy was fast to react.
“Can you stop treating your man like a baby?”

Lya’s cheeks flushed, her man.

“He can pick up his socks and boxers by himself Lya. Mind your own business, don’t infantilize him.”

Lya blinked in surprise.
“Yeah, I read… sometimes.” Joked Jimmy, pulling Lya out of the room. “Stop helping him out with everything, otherwise he will be completely lost on tour and I will have to look after him. Thank you but no thank you.”

Lya chuckled, picturing the scene in her mind.

“Fine, fine… remember to tell him to bring a clean shirt. He can’t be wearing t-shirt if his mother wants to go out.” She said, grabbing her bag. “I’m going to prepare my bag then… I’ll be back for lunch. You’re cooking Jimmy! Try to avoid food poisoning for us please!” she said, checking her pockets for her keys. “And remember, if it smells ad, then don’t cook it!” she said, getting out of the apartment, she waved at him before rushing down the stairs.

**
Lya was listening to Direstraits with two bags on her bed. She was putting nice clothes in one, while she put basic clothes in the bigger one.

She was smiling to herself as she packed cotton socks in the oversized bag, the one she had for touring.

She was still softly singing to herself when Cha softly knocked on the door and made her way to her bed, sitting on the mattress, looking curiously at the two bags.

"Are you going somewhere?"

"I'm just getting ready for that training period I mentioned. And I’m leaving tomorrow with Brian to go to San Francisco.” she whispered, putting another pile of clothes in the bag.

"My God... This is so not sexy." whispered Cha, looking at Lya's clothes packed in her gym bag. She pulled out a white cotton T-shirt and held it at arm’s length. "So not sexy..." she repeated.

"It's not supposed to be." said Lya, tying up her hair in a tight bun.

"Are you still not telling me where you're going?" Cha asked, folding the T-shirt again and putting it back in the bag. “That’s definitely not for San Francisco, or at least I hope it’s not.”

"On a training period, like I just said." whispered Lya, putting the clothes in equal piles in the bag.

"Where?" asked Cha, helping Lya to keep the bag open.

"In South Carolina, but it's very strict." said Lya, turning her back to Cha as she scanned through her clothes in her chest of drawers.

"Yeah, you said: no phone calls, no visits... From what I see in your bag and what you told me, if I didn't know better I would say that you're heading for boot camp or something like that you know, army style." said Cha, letting herself fall backwards, crossing her arms beneath her head and starring at the ceiling, waiting for Lya's come back.

When she didn't hear anything, she sat up straight.

"Are you?" she asked, sounding panicked.

"I'm going to Fort Jackson." Lya said, picking up her letter from the desk and throwing it on Cha's lap.

"For Heaven's sake Lya! You said nothing!"

"You said you would support me, no matter what." she said, turning slightly.

“I… I think I am. But have you told Brian.” She asked, sitting at the edge of the bed.

“I did…” she said, her back turned.

“What did he say?” asked Cha, before biting her lip.

“He asked me if I wanted to come and meet his mother, in SF.” She said, turning back with some clothes for SF. “I think I told Jimmy too. No one else.”

"Hell, Lya! You're going to Boot Camp and you're not telling anyone?"

"Actually, it's called: Initial Entry Training." said Lya.

"Do you hear yourself? Athalya, you are enrolling and no one knows about it! What do you think your friends will say? Your family?"

She winced, it was the first time in a year that Cha had called her by her full name.

"They will be against it, every single one of them." she said, a little venom in her voice. "What they don't know can't hurt them. It's my life, not theirs."

"God... Lya... Brian must be devastated. You can't take that kind of decision by yourself, out of nowhere."

"This is not out of nowhere, Charlotte." It was Cha's turn to wince. "This is my life, my career... I shouldn't have to justify myself to anyone. You were the one to tell me to stop paying so much attention to what people thought of me. I had been thinking about it for a while, I got the letter, I went for a health check up on my graduation day, I got another letter from Fort Jackson.”

She rested her back on the wall, by her door, her arms crossed over her chest.
“What happened last week, at the restaurant. It shouldn’t have happened. I should have had the guts to tell them. And then their partying… I am not going to stand by and slowly become one of them. They want to fuck up their life, so be it. I believe I had my share of fuck-ups, I need order in my life, I need to do what I feel in my heart is right, even if I'm mistaken."

"You've been working on it, haven't you... The gym session?" asked Cha, looking up at Lya.

"I have. I need to do it Cha, with or without anyone's support. I need to do it for myself. I can't just follow everyone around. I am no use here. I need to go out there, become a better person, help people around me and mostly be able to look at myself in the mirror and not having to look away. I need this Cha."

"This is reckless..." said Cha, holding her head in her hands. "But I support you, no matter what. I am just saying that you should talk about it with Brian, I mean… Really talk about it. Maybe if you had warn him earlier…”she trailed off, looking at Lya’s expressionless face. "But anyway, it's just an advice... You should probably consider warning your family too..."

"I know you're right, but part of me doesn't want to tell him. I'm like, whatever... I am very disappointed in his actions... I know, he's young and careless and enjoying his life and "you only live once" or whatever... It's just, I feel like we're worlds apart now. We didn't have the same childhood and while I'm only aspiring of having a steady life, he smokes and drinks and does drugs and doesn't have any limits..." she swallowed the lump in her throat. "I lost my mother to cigarettes, if I lose anyone else close to me because of any of those poison, I don't think I can take it... I need to know I can count on someone Cha, I need to know and be sure that no matter what, Brian will be there. If he can't then I shouldn't waste my time."

"You speak as if you were going to break up with him."

"I'm not, it's just... Things are going a bit fast, people are talking wedding around me... I'm scarred, my life is slipping away from my hands Cha. I feel like I have no control and I'm scarred shitless to become one of them, to be like Brian. He might be able to stop himself, from the drinking or whatever, but what if I can't? What I slip off into auto-destruction mode and can't get out of it in time? I just... I need to focus on being a better me and trying to find my place in this world."

Cha stayed silent for a few seconds before she got up and headed toward Lya, giving her a quick hug.

"Fine… you get ready to save the world." whispered Cha, squeezing Lya's hand.

As Cha disappeared in the main room, Lya bit her lip and went back to pack.
Her chest felt slightly lighter, but yet, Cha had a point. She needed to tell everyone.
It would have to wait until she got back.

Lya zipped her ‘bootcamp’ back and slide it under her bed, before she focused on packing her bag for the week end.

**

It was clear now that Lya wasn't going on tour with them, so he thought he should try his best and spend as much time with her as possible.

That had been his plan, until they had reached the Armstrong’s household in the early morning.

Brian had carefully avoided talking to Lya about Fort Jackson, not wanting to start a heated argument. These few days were supposed to be just about them, with family.

She had been surprisingly closed to him during the drive, when they stopped, she always grabbed his hand, going to a small restaurant or giving him a coffee, randomly kissing his cheek and hugging him.

If going to San Francisco made her so happy, he should have thought about it earlier. Actually, it was the first time he was going to step foot into Billie Joe’s house and the first time Lya was going to meet his real mother.

He was way more anxious about Billie Joe.

Brian took a deep breath and had followed Lya out of the car, carrying both of their bags.

It didn’t surprise him that Lya new the password.

She didn’t knock and he knew it was part of the plan to surprise her little brothers.
They both snuck in, Brian dropping the bags carefully and closing the door softly.

Joey and Jake were both in PJs, eating breakfast? Joey was looking at the back of the cereals box while Jake was swinging his little legs, licking the spoon full of jam, under the loving gaze of their mother.

Brian stood a step behind watching Lya. He saw her face light up, tears of joy in her eyes as she said: “Where’s my hug, huh?”

Joey looked at the intruder, frowning at the loud sound in the morning, until his face light up completely. He knocked down the cereal box, rushed towards Lya and engulfed her in a tight hug.

Adie helped Jake down as soon Lya was assaulted.

“Wow! Too much love!” she joked, wiping her cheek after Jake had kissed it. “I smell like strawberry now!” she joked, ruffling his hair.

“You guys remember Brian?”

There was a chorus of “Hi Brian!” followed by a hug, taking Brian by surprise.

“Yeah, hi Brian!” said Billie Joe, walking down the stairs in shorts and shirtless.

Lya rolled her eyes. “Dad!”

“What, I work out!” he said, showing off his biceps.

She rolled her eyes and went to hug him, before taking the T-shirt he was hiding behind his back and forced him to put it on. Billie Joe faked a pout and finally shook Brian’s hand.

That was a start.

Adie walked toward him with a bright, warm smile. “It’s good to see you!” she said, hugging him.

“Thanks Adie.”

“Let’s eat breakfast, we will give you a tour afterwards.” She said, leading the way for Brian, towards the kitchen.
Lya was squeezed between her two brothers, trying her best to follow everything they were telling her, a smile on her face.

Brian was just grateful for Adie’s presence, otherwise he would have feel pretty unwelcomed under Billie Joe’s gaze.

When breakfast was over, Lya offered to clean up while Adie and a reluctant Billie Joe gave him a tour of the house.

He had seen it all, Billie Joe’s studio, the kitchen, living room, dining room and upstairs, BJ and Adie’s room, Joey’s, Jakob’s even Lya’s and the guest room.

"Where am I staying?" he asked, with both bags in hands, hoping Billie Joe would point to Lya's room, but at the same time playing it cool and actually asking. He had noted the mention of the spare room. He needed to be on Billie Joe's good side.

Billie Joe rose his eyebrows, not expecting Brian to actually ask. Before he could reply, Adie leaded the way to Lya's room, a gentle smile on her face.
"You're both adults now, aren't you..." she said, before leaving.

Brian sat on Lya's bed after dropping his bag next the chest of drawers.

"Stop terrorizing Brian!" hissed Adie, pushing Billie Joe back downstairs.

"I did nothing!"

"Yet..."

Lya finally arrived upstairs, Jake on her back while Joey was holding a basketball.

"Go on, ask him..." she said, sitting on her bed, dropping a giggling Jake while Joey stood in the doorway, the ball still in his arms.

"Brian? Can you come and play basketball with me?" he asked, shyly.

"Sure..." said Brian taking his car keys out of his pocket, as well as his wallet.

“Hold on…” said Lya, looking at Joey. “Shouldn’t you brush your teeth and get dressed!”

“I forgot!” he said. Lya tried to fight off a smile.

“Let the ball in your room and get ready! I’m watching you!” she said, letting Jakob down.

Joey got ready at the speed of light and was happy to see Brian waiting for him.
"Let's go Joey!"

Joey took off running towards the garden, with Brian jogging behind him, waving at Lya.

She knew it would be like this, but it was a good sign in a way. It meant Joey had accepted Brian. Lya walked over to the window and opened it, looking down at Brian and Joey starting to play. Jake tried to see and when he heard Joey laughing and having a good time, he wanted to go too. She helped him getting ready before heading towards the garden.

**
Lya was too busy starring at the illuminated bridge to pay attention to Brian, it was fine with him. He needed a moment to himself, to think.

The day had went well, especially his surprise in the afternoon, he was quite proud of himself.

Brian had tried his best to keep his cool when he drove Lya around on Friday afternoon. The meeting with his mom and stepdad had went smoothly, like he knew it would.

Lya had a curious look on her face when Brian asked her to get out of the car in the middle of a parking lot.

“I hope you’re not too tired.” He said, his hands slightly shaking as his locked the car, before checking his pocket.

“I’m all right, took a small nap in your old room while you were talking to your mother.” She said, shoving her hands in her hoodie. “Why?”

Brian smiled, he knew she would ask. She would almost always ask “why” whenever you would ask her a question.

“Because I got a couple of things planned.” He said, a proud smile on his face.

“What kind of things?” she asked, looking at him suspiciously. “Can I stay dress for it? Cause it’s colder here than in LA.” She said.

Brian chuckled and grabbed her cold hand, pulling her towards the exit of the parking lot. He quickly put his hands on her eyes.

“Brian…” she whined as they kept walking awkwardly. “What the he…”

“Close your eyes.” He said, before taking one of her hand and placing an envelope in her open palm.

“Look at you hand.” He said, trying to hide the excitation in his voice. Lya looked down, it was a white envelop: Tonight. Lya used her second hand to feel up the envelop.

“Tickets?” she asked, frowning.

“Look up.” He said.

Lya’s eyes opened wide as she let out a high pitch scream before throwing herself in Brian’s arms.

“Bon Joviiiiiiiiii!” she screamed, squeezing him before taking a step back and clapping her hands excitedly.

“I love you!” she said, cupping his face and kissing his lips.


He sure she wasn’t lying when she said that.

Brian took a deep breath, his eyes on the enlightened Golden gate bridge, there was no better place and no better moment. Or was it.

Do it.

Brian knelled down, taking the small box from his pocket. He opened it, took another deep breath and opened his mouth.

“Lya, I know it’s probably not the best time to tell you this, but I need to…” he trailed off, waiting for her to face him. Lya slowly turned around, tearing her amazed eyes away from the scenery.

He saw her eyes widened slightly but he went on. It was now or never.

“Bria…”

“I know you’re going to enroll, I know that… But I love you and I remember a few years ago when we met… I just knew, somehow, we would end up together. And I just want to keep you by my side, forever. I know you just graduated and you’re going to Fort Jackson and I’m going on tour, but we’ll figure it…” Brian swallowed the lump in his throat, his eyes looking up at Lya, who looked about to faint. “Lya, will you marry me?”

Lya blinked once, twice, processing what had just happened. She opened her mouth to speak, but no words would come out so she simply nodded, taking a step forward.

Brian quickly stood up, taking Lya’s trembling hands in his. She didn’t even look at the ring, she threw her arms around his neck.
“I love you Brian.” She whispered, her voice slightly muffled with her arm.

“I love you too Lya.” He whispered, his heart pounding in his chest.

“We’ll figure it out.” She whispered, cupping his face in her hands. “We will. I promise.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi there! Sorry for the delay, it took longer than planned to write.
This one is 32 pages long on Word, can you drop a comment to tell me your thoughts? ^^'
It would be much appreciated !
Also, next update should be end of November/early December.

Silly French xxx