Status: About to be rewritten. Please read the Author's note (Chap 50) for further information. Thks x

Dreams of Tomorrow

Chapter 7.

“Athalya!” she knew the voice that called after her. The voice that had lulled her to sleep so many times. The voice that always calmed her, the voice that could make the time stop, that very same voice that made her believe that the most improbable things could happen… She stopped holding back the tears and let them fall freely as she kept running down the street. She was running out of breath and her ribs were hurting her but she kept running until she turned around the corner. It couldn’t be happening, they couldn’t be. No, it was just a misunderstanding. It was a nightmare! She was going to wake up in her bed, in her room in France with her mother still standing in the kitchen. She crossed the street and kept her pace, running through the gates, past the playground where kids were happily playing in the sandbox. She kept running until she reached the small lake and fall to her knees, holding her head with both hands. Her fingers gripping her hair and pulling at it.

If she could, she would just rip her chest open, extract her heart and threw it in the water, to feed the fishes.

Because it wasn’t real, it couldn’t be. And she knew she would have the hardest time when she was going to wake up the next morning. He was sitting in her living room. He was sitting in her living room. The man that helped her keeps her head up through thick and thin. The only man she had ever looked up. He was her savior, he was her hero. He was her everything even though she knew she would never meet him again, but there he was, starring right back at her, smiling even. And they wanted her to believe that he was her mother’s best friend?

They wanted her to believe that Billie Joe Armstrong knew her mother and cared about her enough to want to meet her daughter?

She shook her head forcefully and let out a suppressed sob, mixed up with a moan of pure agony. Because yes, she was in pain. Not physically but mentally. They had just stabbed her in the back, making him come here in Huntington when she knew he couldn’t be, it was just too good to be true!

It was just bullshit and it killed her. Because deep inside, she wanted to believe it. She wanted to believe that he knew her mother, that he was going to take the pain away, he was going to pick her off the ground and help her get back on her feet…

Athalya was knelled down in the grass, unaware that Justin and Zacky were walking through the park at the same moment…

“Zacky… Do you know where Jimmy is?” asked Justin, stopping next to his friend as they stared at the crying girl.

“He’s probably at Matt’s house…” whispered Zacky, biting his lip. “We can’t let her here! We need to bring her to Jimmy or something. We can’t just leave her like that.” He rambled.

“Jimmy would kill us.” Added Justin as he made his way towards Athalya, followed by Zacky. “We were heading to Matt’s anyway.” He concluded.

“Hey, Athalya?” asked Zacky, bending down next to her. Her head shot up and when she saw them, she furiously wiped her tears with the back of her hand.

“Hey…” she whispered, trying to stifle a sob.

“Come on, we’re going to see Jimmy, okay?” said Justin, holding out his hand to help her back on her feet. She starred at his outstretched hand, wondering if she could trust him but then she remembered that she was willing to forgive them. She slowly slide her hand in his and got up, brushing the dirt off her jeans the best she could and followed them, trying to keep her composure, why did she always had to breakdown at the worst time.

“Do you want to tell us what happened?” asked Justin, rubbing soft circles on her back. She shook her head, looking at her feet as they headed towards Justin’s house, to get his car.

“Listen Athalya, we’re sorry for the way we talked about your mother the other day. It was totally disrespectful…” said Zacky, rubbing his neck nervously as they reached Justin’s house.

“S’okay…” she whispered, wiping her eyes. “You didn’t know…”

“Still, it was totally uncalled for, and yeah, we’re sorry for being such assholes…” said Justin, looking worriedly at Athalya, hoping she wasn’t going to jump on him once again.

“It’s okay boys, I accept your apologies.” She whispered, closing her eyes shut as she rested her back against the car, waiting for Justin to run inside and grabbed the keys.

“Why were you in the park?” she asked Zacky.

“Because we were heading to Matt’s and we thought that it wasn’t necessary to take the car.” He explained, rubbing his neck nervously. Athalya barely nodded, keeping her eyes closed, trying to hold back the tears.

“Let’s go!” said Justin as he ran out of the house, got in the driver seat as Athalya got in the backseat and Zacky in the passenger seat. He kept turning around every once in a while, making sure Athalya was alright… Well, he knew she wasn’t, but still…

“We’re here!” said Justin, killing the engine and exiting the car. Athalya’s mind was racing. Images of her encounter with Billie Joe kept flashing in her mind, images of when he was sitting in her living room, mixed up with memories of her mother… Athalya grabbed her head between her two hands and let out a whine, her eyes closed tight shut.

“JIMMY!” shouted Zacky as he ran up to the front door and didn’t even bother to knock. He didn’t had to. The door opened and Jimmy appeared in the doorway, followed by Brian and Matt.

“What the hell…” asked Jimmy, frowning when he saw Zacky and Justin’s car, but his face fell when Zacky moved out of the way and he saw the backseat door opened, and Justin crouching next to Athalya, a worried look on his face. Jimmy ran to the car and pushed Justin out of the way, taking Athalya in his arms.

“What the fuck happened?” asked Matt, his eyes wide.

“No idea!” explained Zacky, “Justin and I were heading here, walking through the park and that’s when we saw her. She was crying her eyes out next to the lake. She was knelled down, her head in her hands… We thought she might want to see Jimmy! So we helped her up and we went back to Justin’s to get his car, and here we are and I swear we didn’t do anything!” said Zacky in a hurry, looking worriedly as Jimmy carried Athalya to his car.

“Dude, she’s having a panic attack.” Mumbled Justin, running a hand through his hair in despair. He had no idea what to do. “Or maybe a nervous breakdown…”

“I think it’s a mix of both…” said Brian, frowning. “My parents aren’t home.” He added, before he ran inside. He grabbed both his and Jimmy’s jacket before he got in Jimmy’s car just as he put Athalya in the back seat.

“What the hell?” asked Michelle and Valary as they walked out of the house and stood on either sides of Matt.

“Athalya is having some sort of a panic attack/nervous breakdown, Justin and Zacky drove her here and Jimmy and Brian are taking her to Brian’s place.” Explained Matt, his gaze not leaving Jimmy as he buckled Athalya’s seatbelt and sat next to her on the backseat. His gaze meets Matt for a fraction of second before Brian slammed his feet on the gas pedal.

**

“You need to calm down Athalya, breath!” said Brian, trying to keep his calm as Athalya was sitting on the couch in his living room. She had her head hanging low, her eyes tight shut and she was barely breathing.

Jimmy was in the kitchen, calling her grandparents.
“Suzan, it’s Jimmy? Yes, yes Athalya is with us. Don’t worry, she’s fine. I’ll see if she wants me to drive her home later on or if she’d rather stay here for the night… Does she have to come back tonight?” he asked, rubbing his neck and glancing nervously in the living room, hating the fact that he had to lie to Suzan.

“Okay, I’ll ask her when she wakes up, she’s taking a nap right now. Yeah, I’ll call you when she wakes up. No problem Suzan, bye.” And he hung up, placing the phone back on its base.

“How is she?” asked Jimmy, rushing in the living room.
Brian just looked up, and shook his head. Jimmy bit his lip and grabbed Athalya by the shoulder.

“Do you hear me Athalya?” he asked, trying to make eye contact but she kept her eyes closed.

“Breath, Athalya calm down! Everything is going to be alright, just breath calmly!” said Brian before he disappeared in the kitchen.

Jimmy took Athalya’s hands off her face and lifted her chin up. He held her face between his hands and scanned her face closely.

“What do you think happened?”Asked Brian as he came back with a glass of water.

“I guess it has something to do with her mother’s best friend…” whispered Jimmy, still watching Athalya closely.

“Athalya, you need to keep on breathing, take deep breath, in and out…” he said, before he placed his ear closed to her mouth and nose. He sighed in relief, and went back to his original position.

“What about her mother’s best friend?” asked Brian, setting the glass on the coffee table and sitting on the edge of the table.

“He was supposed to come and see her today… Listen Brian, can we use your bedroom? I think she needs to lie down and get some rest…” said Jimmy, taking Athalya in his arms.

“Sure!” said Brian, quickly getting up. He grabbed the glass and jogged upstairs. He opened the door to his bedroom. He placed the glass on the bedside table and then threw all the clothes that were scattered on his bed, on the floor. Jimmy arrived and gently laid Athalya down on Brian’s bed, but she kept a firm hold on Jimmy’s T-shirt.

“It’s okay Athalya, everything is going to be alright now, just lie down and try to rest.” He whispered, slowly taking her hands off his T-shirt and then covered her with the sheets. She just stayed still, her eyes still firmly closed. Jimmy bit his lip before slowly walking out of the room, leaving the door ajar and then followed Brian back to the living room.

Jimmy let himself fall on the couch, and Brian came back with two beers. He passed one bottle to Jimmy and kept one for himself as he sat next to his best friend on the couch.

“That was… scary…” whispered Brian, taking a swig from his bottle.

“It was bound to happen sometime…” whispered Jimmy, after he took a swig. “She was bound to breakdown one day or another… but I won’t lie, it was damn scary…” he added, rubbing his face.

“I’m going to call Matt and the others, to ask them if they want to come over.” Explained Brian, getting up and walking towards the phone.

**

“She’s still asleep…” whispered Michelle as she appeared in the living room after she had checked on Athalya, she sat down where everyone was. They were all eating pizzas and drinking beers.

“She’s been asleep for 3 hours already…” said Jimmy, rubbing his neck. He was the only one without a beer, he wanted to be able to drive Athalya home in case she’d want to go back to her grandparents’.

“Jimmy?” came a timid voice. Jimmy’s head snapped in direction of the hall and Athalya was standing there, her eyes red, her hair was a mess and she looked like the world had just came crashing down on her.

“Are you alright Athalya?” asked Jimmy, immediately getting up. She nodded.

“Can I call my grandparents?” she asked, her voice weak.

“Of course…” replied Brian, getting up from the carpet and walking to the kitchen. She followed him and put the empty glass in the sink. He handed her the phone.

“Thank you Brian…” she whispered, barely making eye contact with him as she took the phone.

“You’re welcome Athalya.” He said with a small smile before disappearing in the living room once again. She quickly dialed her grandparents’’ number and placed the phone next to her ear, taking a deep breath as she heard her grandmother’s voice on the other end.

“Mamie? It’s me… I’m at Brian’s house…” she said, her voice barely audible.

I know sweetie, Jimmy called me. Did you sleep well?” her grandmother asked, softly.

“Yeah…” she trailed off, closing her eyes to prevent herself from crying.

Do you want to stay here? Or do you want to come back home?” asked Suzan.
“Are they still here?” asked Athalya, bringing her hand up to her forehead, her eyes still closed as tears started to roll down her cheeks.

No, they left. They are staying at an hotel, they were supposed to stay here but B…” Athalya cut her off.

“Don’t say his name…” she sobbed.

Well, he said that it’d best if they stayed at an hotel… They might come back tomorrow though… They want to celebrate your birthday.” explained Suzan.

As an answer, Athalya let out yet another sob.

“I… Can I… I don’t know what I want to do…” she whispered, pinching the bridge of her nose, keeping her eyes tight shut.

You can stay with your friends tonight Athalya, you need to get your mind off things, and we trust Jimmy. And Brian seemed like a nice boy, you can stay here Athalya, just ask Jimmy to drive you home around 11 tomorrow morning, okay?” spoke Suzan.

“Okay, thank you Mamie. I love you, and I’m sorry about earlier…” she whispered, biting her lip.

It’s understandable Athalya. Me and your grandfather love you very much. Have fun sweetie. Bye…” said Suzan, the smile evident in her voice. Athalya sighed and hung up, placing the phone back on its base. She bit her lip and rubbed her arms, wondering what to do now, she was stuck here for the night but didn’t wanted to spoil their fun.

After a few seconds of deliberation, she finally decided to leave the kitchen.

“Okay guys, and Jimmy, you want another beer?” asked Brian.

“No, thanks dude. I need to be able to drive.” He said, rubbing his neck.

“As you wish!” replied Brian, turning around and heading to the kitchen, bumping in Athalya on his way.

“Ah shit! Sorry Athalya! Are you alright?” he asked as she took a step back and massaged her shoulder.

“Yeah, don’t worry.” She whispered, smiling. But it was clear it was a fake one. “Hum, could you give a beer to Jimmy? I mean, he doesn’t need to drive tonight… My grandmother told me I could stay here, I mean, if that’s alright with you of course… By the way, thanks for letting me use your bed… and your phone…” she said quickly, rubbing her neck nervously and looking at her feet.

Brian couldn’t help but smiled.
“It’s okay Athalya, no problem, I’m glad you can stay. And don’t worry about the bed and the phone, it’s cool…” said Brian, heading to the fridge.

“Do you want a beer?” he asked, opening the fridge.

“”Huh… do you have something else?” she asked, unsure.

“Oh yeah, I got vodka, Jack Daniels, whiskey…?” he asked, looking at her from over her shoulder.

“Huh… No… I meant, something non-alcoholic like, soda?” she stammered.

“Oh yeah, sure… Is coke alright?” he asked, holding taking a can out of the fridge. “Actually, no…” he mumbled and almost disappeared in the fridge. “That’s better!” he said, taking out a bottle of coke.

“That’s for you and for you only!” he said, handing her the bottle.

“Thank you Brian!” she said softly.

“You’re welcome Athalya, but can you help me with those?” he asked, mentioning to the beer bottles.

“Oh yeah, sure!” she said, holding the bottle of coke under her arm and grabbed two beers in each hands, before following Brian back in the living room.

“Dude! We need more booze!” said Jason, relaxing on an armchair.

“And we need more pizzas!” said his brother.

“Fine, fine! Hold on a second!” mumbled Brian as he set the beers on the coffee table and then grabbed the phone, to order some more pizzas.

“Aren’t you drinking?” asked Johnny, taking a beer. Athalya raised an eyebrow and starred in wonder at his younger friend.

“What are you doing here?” she asked, eyeing suspiciously the bottle of beer in his hand.

“Matt and Val picked me up on their way…” explained Johnny, shrugging. Athalya nodded and twisted the cap of her huge bottle of coke and taking a long swig before twisting the cap back again.

“So guys, the pizzas should arrived shortly, let’s decide which film we are going to watch, shall we?” asked Brian, walking over to the TV set and coming back with a box full of VHS.

“Which one?” he asked, placing the box in the middle of the carpet.

“Lion King?” asked Jimmy, smiling as he picked up the VHS.

“That’s my sister’s…” mumbled Brian, taking the VHS from Jimmy’s hands and putting it back in the box.

“How about porn?” asked Jason.

“Or even better, lesbian porn?” suggested Matt Berry.

“Guys, I don’t think the girls would enjoy it very much…” said Zacky, shaking his head.

“Gay porn then?” asked Jason. Val glared at them.

“Guys, it’s Friday night, and Friday night means horror movie!” said Matt, wrapping his arm loosely around Val’s shoulder.

“Chainsaw Massacre?” suggested Brian, holding up the VHS.

Athalya’s face got paler. She couldn’t stand the sight of blood, it made her feel sick, just like she couldn’t stand the sight of needles.

“Ohh… How about Halloween?” asked Justin.

“No way, the Exorcist.” Said Val. And everyone agreed.

Athalya made a face, someone once told her she had the same eyes as the girl in that movie. And she knew he didn’t say that to be nice. She had never seen it, and wasn’t planning to but she kept her mouth shut. She never really liked horror movies…

“Oh fuck yeah! Pizzas!” yelled Jason, jumping off his seat and running towards the front door.

Brian was putting the box back next to the TV set while Michelle was putting the VHS in the player. And everyone started moving. Jimmy sat on the couch, along with Matt and Val. Matt B. took the other couch, claiming that Michelle and his brother will be sitting with him; Johnny sat on the armchair and Zacky and Justin took the loveseat, while Brian disappeared somewhere. Athalya starred at the scenery for a few seconds before she moved closer to the couch and rested her back against Jimmy’s legs. She was about to grab a cushion from the couch when Brian came back, his arms full of covers and pillows.

“I love you bro!” said Jason, holding out his hands, hoping Brian was going to give him one of the cover.

“Hold on, ladies first!” said Brian, dropping everything on the ground.

“And Athalya first, poor girl has to sit on the carpet!” said Michelle, glaring at Jason. Brian threw a cover at Jason, one at Johnny because he was alone, and one at Val.

“I’ll be right back! Don’t start the movie yet!” said Brian, disappearing in the kitchen once again.

“Dude, give me the pizza!” mumbled Matt B, holding out his hands towards the table, hoping the pizzas were going to jump in his arms.

Athalya knelled down, grabbed a box and passed it to him.
“Aww, thanks Frenchie. But you could have let him move his fat ass…” said Michelle smiling at Athalya and then turned to glared at Matt B who was stuffing his face with pizza.

“Thanks Frenchie!” he managed to mumbled between two slices. She nodded and sat back down, taking a slice of pizza from another box and passing one to Johnny who got up and took it with a smile. She passed the box to Jimmy and sat back down, trying to make herself comfortable.

“I’m back folks!” yelled Brian skipping in the living room, tripping on the carpet and almost falling, face first, on the table.

He handed one bowl of popcorns to Michelle, one to Val, a smaller one to Johnny one to Justin and Zacky and an other one to Athalya.
“Hold on!” he said to Jason who was ready to press play.

Brian switched off the lights, and sat down next to Athalya. He grabbed the covers and pulled them up, and handed one pillow to Athalya, keeping one to himself. Athalya sat cross-legged, and placed the bowl of popcorns in the middle so Brian should eat too.

“Ready now?” asked Matt.

“Yeap!” he said, making himself comfortable against Matt’s legs.

Athalya hugged the pillow, and kept it in place with one hand, while eating her pizza with the other, keeping her eyes glued on the screen.

It was fine, until she saw the face in the corner of the ceiling in the movie. She froze, her mouth agape, her eyes wide.

“Are you alright?” whispered Jimmy, resting his elbows on his knees so he could whisper on her ear.

“What was that?” she asked, her voice unsteady.

“That would be the demon possessing the girl, why?”

“I won’t be able to sleep tonight…” she whispered. “It’s like, carved into my mind…” she mumbled, scared.

“Yeah, that’s the point… ‘Subliminal picture’ or something… That’s how they call it.” He explained. Athalya shuddered.

“Hey, are you alright? We could always change the movie?” he asked, resting a hand on her shoulder.

“I’m alright, I’m alright…” she whispered, biting the inside of her cheek.

“You can always squeeze Brian’s arm if you’re scared, or my leg…” offered Jimmy.

Athalya chuckled.
“Thanks Jimmy…”

“You’re welcome Athalya.” He whispered, squeezing her shoulder before sitting back normally.

During the rest of the movie, she had pulled the cover all the way up to her chin, she was hugging the pillow closed to her chest, her knees brought up and every time she felt scared, she dugged her fingers in her arms, her eyes closed. She really didn’t like horror movies and especially this one. She had seen horror movies in her life, without being found of the kind, but this one was making her uncomfortable for some unknown reasons.

“I fucking love this movie!” said Jason, stretching his hands over his head as the credits started rolling. Johnny got up and switched the lights back on.

“Are you alright Athalya?” asked Val, looking worriedly at her new friend.

“Ye…yeah…” she stammered.

“Which one now?” asked Brian.

“Chainsaw Massacre…” said Johnny. Athalya swallowed the lump in her throat and prepared herself mentally for what she was going to see for the next hour and a half.

**

“What time is it?” asked Val, yawning. It was the end of the film, and the lights were back on. Athalya was curled up in a ball, trying to pretend everything was fine.

“Close to midnight…” replied Brian, as he came back from the kitchen with more booze and popcorns.

“Which movie next?” asked Jimmy.

“No idea…”

“I need some fresh air…” whispered Athalya, getting up from the carpet, still wrapped in the covers and walking out of the living room.

She walked through the kitchen and opened the door to the backyard. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

It was really dark outside, you couldn’t see the moon and there were barely any stars. Athalya wrapped the cover tighter around her shoulder and walked down the few steps, and headed to the sandbox. She sat down on the small chair that was right next to the sandbox and rested her elbows on her knees. She glanced at her watch and saw that it was past midnight. Sighing, she bend down and traced the outline of a cake with her finger, tracing 17 candles on top.

“Joyeux anniversaire…” she whispered, before she closed her eyes and blew on the sand.

She erased the remain of what was her birthday cake with her hand and got up, looking up at the starless sky.

“I miss you Mum…” she whispered, closing her eyes and sighing. She walked back inside, closed the door behind her and headed to the living room, only to see that Jason had the remote in hand, ready to press play.

“Sorry…” whispered Athalya as she switched off the lights and sat back down, getting ready for yet another horror movie. She made herself comfortable against Jimmy’s legs and wiped her moist cheeks with the corner of the cover, trying to keep it unnoticed.

“Are you alright?” whispered Brian, resting his hand on her knee. She turned to look at him and nodded. He gave her a small smile and retracted his hand, focusing back on the screen.

**

The house was silent, except for the light snores coming from the Berry brothers. It’s was around 9 in the morning and they had only fell asleep at around 5. They all were fast asleep, except for Athalya, who was wide awake but didn’t dare to move. She had been awake for the last 30 minutes.

Sighing, Athalya sat up carefully and starred at her surroundings. Brian and Jimmy were sleeping upstairs, Matt and Val were in the spare room and it was only the Berry brothers, Michelle, Johnny, Justin, Zacky and herself in the living room.

She pushed herself off the floor and headed to the kitchen. She made a face as she saw the disaster. She rolled up her sleeves and tied her hair in a bun before she started picking up all the empty wrappers and put them in the trashcan.
She made her way in the living room and gathered the empty bottles that were scattered on the floor, careful not to wake anyone and put the bottles in another bag.

She was done picking up the bottles when she heard some movement coming from the hall. She looked over her shoulder and saw Brian, only wearing a T-shirt and some boxers.

“What are you doing?” he whispered, scratching his neck.

She held up the bottles and looked at him with an ‘isn’t-it-obvious’ expression. She left the living room to go back in the kitchen and Brian followed her, closing the door behind him.

“Why aren’t you asleep like the others?” he asked, yawning, and resting against the counter.

“I don’t know, I woke up early I guess, and I saw the disaster we made last night and I felt bad thinking that you’ll have to clean the mess before your parents come back…” she explained, rubbing her neck nervously.

“Oh well, that’s really nice of you Athalya, but you didn’t need to…” said Brian with a small smile.

She shrugged, “I couldn’t go back to sleep, so I figured, why not do something helpful…” she explained.

“Do you want some breakfast?” he asked, she shook her head.

“No, I’m good thanks. I’m just waiting for Jimmy to wake up so he can drive me back to my grandparents” she explained.

“I could always drive you…” he offered, “Just let me put some pants on…” he said as he opened the door and rushed towards the stairs.

Athalya starred in wonder at the spot where he was standing just a few seconds ago.

Moments later, Brian came back, wearing the same jeans as the day before and holding car keys in his hand.

“Are you sure you don’t mind?” she asked, looking at her shoes.

“Not at all Athalya, let’s go…” said Brian with a smile. She gasped.

“Hold on a second, I didn’t say Good Bye to Jimmy…” she said, her eyes wide. “Do you have a piece of paper and a pen? I can’t leave like that…” she mumbled.

“Sure…” said Brian, taking a note pad and a pen. “Here you go…”

She took the pen and notepad from his hands and smiled, “Thanks.”

Brian drove me home. Thank you for everything Jimmy.
See ya later.
Athalya.


“Okay, I’ll be right back!” she said as she tear up the piece of paper, folded it and hurried up the stairs. She placed the piece of paper on top of Jimmy’s T-shirt and closed the door behind her, hurrying back downstairs.

“Sorry…” she apologized to Brian as she walked past him, he was holding the front door open.

“It’s okay Athalya, I think it’s good you wrote a note to Jimmy, he would have freaked out otherwise…” said Brian with a chuckle. Athalya smiled and got in Brian’s car. She couldn’t help but notice that his was cleaner and newer than Jimmy’s.

She buckled her seatbelt and looked at the house as Brian started the engine.

She had had a great time, even though it was weird for her to be around so many people at the same time, but Zacky and Justin had treated her decently, just like everyone else did.

“So, did you enjoy yourself yesterday? We didn’t scare you too much?” asked Brian, trying to make small conversation.

“Yeah, it was fun… Thank you for letting me stay over.” She whispered, still looking out of the window.

“You’re welcome Athalya, thank you for cleaning the house this morning.” He said, with a smile.

“You’re welcome Brian!” she replied, quickly glancing at him.

“Well, here’s your stop.” He said, parking the car in the driveway.

“Thank you Brian, and sorry for the bother…” she said, unbuckling her seatbelt and opening the door.

“No problem Athalya, see ya around.” He said, smiling at her.

“See ya Brian, thanks again!” she said, waving at him before she closed the door and headed to the front door.

She slowly twisted the knob and stepped in the hall. She could hear her grandmother in the kitchen, and by the sound of it, her grandfather was here too.

She took off her jacket and kicked out her shoes.

“I’m back!” she called, just before entering the kitchen.

“Aww sweetie! Happy birthday!” said Suzan, immediately stopping what she was doing to hug her.

“Thanks Mamie!” whispered Athalya, hugging her grandmother.

“Happy birthday girl.” Said her grandfather, hugging her too once her grandmother finally let go of her.

“Thanks Papy!” replied Athalya, hugging him tight.

“So, how was your night?” asked her grandmother.

“Short… We fell asleep at about 5 o’clock but I was up at half past 8…” she explained, rubbing her neck.

“Did you have fun?” asked her grandfather.

“Yeah… Actually I did. They’re great.” She said with a nod.

“That’s great Athalya!” beamed Suzan. Athalya smiled.

“Huh, I should probably go and get ready and everything… at what time are they…?” she asked, trailing off.

“Around 11.30 maybe later, but they got a plane to catch in the afternoon…” explained Suzan. Athalya nodded.

“And, hum… did they mention anything about… hum… about what happened?” she asked, in a low voice.

“No, Bil…” Athalya cringed. “He understands, and so does Adrienne.” Said Suzan with a sympathetic smile. Athalya nodded.

“Well, I’m going to get ready then…”

**

“Stay calm Athalya, don’t freak out like yesterday.” She whispered to herself as she was applying some black eyeliner under her eyes, smudging it a little.

“God… Calm down!” she scolded, pressing a hand on her chest, where her heart was beating rapidly.

She grabbed the bottle of perfume and sprayed some before she took a step back and looked at her reflection in the mirror. Yeah, that’d do it.

She walked towards her stereo and stopped in front of it.
‘Insomniac’ was playing and it was really weird for her to hear his voice when she knew it was just a matter of minutes before he will show up at her doorstep to wish her an happy birthday.

Just the thought of it made her palms sweaty and her heart beating even faster.

“Oh for fuck sake, calm down!” she scolded, glaring at one of the GD poster she had. “It’s your fault…” she mumbled and then slapped her forehead.

“That’s it, I lost my fucking mind…” she mumbled, and decided to change the CD to ‘Dookie’ and put ‘Basket Case’ on, loudly. She lay down on her unmade bed and crossed her arms behind her head, starring up at the ceiling. She closed her eyes and focused on the music trying to relax, and trying to forget that she was going to see him in any minutes.

The music was loud, so loud she didn’t even hear the doorbell rang.

Sighing, she opened her eyes and glanced at the clock, 11.50 was flashing in red light. She gasped, turned off the stereo, quickly checked herself in the mirror before running down the stairs.

“Please tell me they’re not here yet!” she whispered as she skipped in the living room and collided with someone.

She looked up and her eyes literally jumped out of her skull. He looked even more handsome up close.

“Hey?” she managed to say, her face heating up in embarrassment.

“Hey Athalya, happy birthday!”He said, smiling at her, making her face heat up even more.

“Thanks…” she choked out before taking a step back and turning to look at Adrienne.

“Hello Athalya, happy birthday!” she said, smiling warmly at her. Athalya smiled.

“Thank you!”

“We brought you something, do you want to open it now? Or do you want to wait until the desert?” asked Billie Joe.

Athalya’s heart skipped several beats.

“Huh… you didn’t have too!” she protested, blushing once more.

“Well, take it as an apologize for freaking you out yesterday…?” offered Billie Joe, smiling. Once again, Athalya’s heart skipped a beat.

“It’s my fault, I shouldn’t have freak out and ran out of the house…” she apologized.

“It’s understandable Athalya, don’t worry!” said Adrienne, smiling warmly as she wrapped her arm around Billie Joe’s waist.

“Yeah, everyone knows I tend to make that effect…” he said, jokingly, but Adrienne elbowed him in the ribs, which made Athalya smiled a little less awkwardly.

“Lunch is ready!” said Suzan, appearing in the dining room.

Billie Joe and Adrienne were sitting side by side, and Athalya was sitting opposite to Billie Joe, which make it almost impossible for her to look up from her plate, whether it was empty or not, she couldn’t bring herself to look up at him. Her grandfather was sitting next to her.

Lunch was nice, Suzan’s food was delicious and everyone chatting, except for Athalya who was frozen on her sit as Suzan went in the kitchen to bring back the cake.

“Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you Athalya, happy birthday to you.”

Athalya smiled at them and closed her eyes, making a wish before she blew the 17 candles on top of the cake.

“Time for presents now!” said David, getting up and walking towards a small table.

“No really, you shouldn’t have!” Athalya protested, slightly embarrassed.

Her grandfather handed her a present wrapped in red paper.

Athalya slowly unwrapped it and her face broke into a smile,
“Thanks!” she said, looking at the Michael Jackson’s CD her grandparents had bought for her.

“We heard you singing the other day…” explained David. Athalya smiled brighter and hugged him, and her grandmother.

“And this is for you too…” said Suzan, handing her a present wrapped in blue.

“Oh…” was all she could say as she unwrapped the present. It contained a letter from her stepfather and a small box. In the small box was a golden ring, her mother’s favorite.

Athalya swallowed the lump in her throat as she slide the ringer on her wedding finger, where her mother always wore it. It was an old piece of jewelry. It was an old French coin, with a golden band, making it a ring.

She blinked a few times, starring at her hand before she looked up at her grandparents.

“I’ll call him later…” she said, mostly to herself.

“And it’s our turn.” Said Billie Joe, clapping in his hands.

“You shouldn’t have, really…” whispered Athalya as Billie Joe had disappeared in the hall.

“We wanted to.” Replied Adrienne, with a warm smile as Billie Joe came back with several presents.

“This is from me and Adie.” Explained Billie Joe, handing her a present, she took it, making sure not to touch his hand and unwrapped it.

Her face broke into a smile.
“Nice!” she said, holding the brand new Green Day T-shirt in front of her.

“We had no real idea what to get you, and Billie Joe might have mentioned that you liked Green Day…” explained Adrienne which made Athalya smiled brighter.

“And this is from Tré and Mike.” Explained Billie Joe, handing her the second present and sliding the envelop in his pocket, hoping it went unnoticed.

Athalya looked at him in wonder.

“They knew your mother too but couldn’t come here to give it to you personally…” explained Billie Joe.

Athalya nodded and unwrapped it.
She chuckled.
Inside were a dedicated pictures of Tré and one of Mike with an empty spot next to them, and with a black sharpie, it was written, ‘insert your picture here’. She smiled, shaking her head and then picked up the black mediator and the drumstick.

“That’s nice of them!” said Athalya, her cheeks hurting from smiling so much and her eyes burning from blocking the tears that were threatening to fall.

“Tré wanted to send you the complete drum set, but yeah…” said Billie Joe, rubbing his neck. Athalya smiled and shook her head.

“Thank you!” she said. And David started cutting the cake.

**

“Athalya? Can I talk to you a second?” asked Billie Joe, looking at the young girl.

“Sure…” she whispered, getting up and following him as he went all the way to the backyard. He sat down on the steps and Athalya did the same, her heart pounding in her chest.

“I know it’s not easy for you Athalya, but me and Adie want you to know that we are here for you. We knew your mother, and I can say she was one of my best friends…” explained Billie Joe, looking at Athalya. Her head snapped up and she opened her mouth to ask him a question.

He shook his head, “No I have no idea who your father is.” He said sadly. Athalya frowned, but then her eyes light up and she opened her mouth, but once again he cut her off.

“I’m not your father.” He said, looking at her, only to see her eyes whelming up. “Believe me, I wish I was. But unfortunately I’m not, Athalya.” He whispered, wiping the tear that slide down her cheek with his thumb. “Your father, whoever he is must be a complete moron to have left your mother!” he muttered. “But I want you to understand that I’m here for you. I’ve been through the same kind of thing, and your mother was here for me, so it’s only fair for me to be here for you…” he explained.

“Of course, I don’t live in the same town, but…” he trailed off, taking something out of his pocket. “That’s for you.” He said, handing her an envelope.

With a shaky hand, Athalya took the envelop and opened it. Her mouth fell open.
“I cannot take it…” she whispered, before looking up at him.

“Please Athalya, accept it. It’s a plane ticket to come and see us whenever you feel like it. And inside the envelop I joined a note with our number, feel free to call us if you need anything, or if you just want to talk…” he said, wiping her tears with his thumb once again. She sniffled and put the ticket back in the envelop.

“Thank you.” She whispered.

“I know it must be difficult for you Athalya at the moment, but you’re not alone. I’m here now, and I know that might sound weird to you, but your mother really was one of my closest friend until she moved out of the country, that’s why it’s seems normal for me to take care of you now…” he explained, cupping her cheeks with both his hands, forcing her to look up at him.

“You can trust me Athalya. I know you might not trust me right away, but I hope in the end you’ll realize I’m only here to help you.” He added, trying to make his point clear.

“Do you trust me Athalya?” he asked, forcing her to look up as she was hanging her head low, tears streaming down her face. She didn’t understand.

“Do you think you’ll be able to trust me one day?” he asked. Her bright green eyes locked onto his darker ones and she slowly nodded.

“It’s going to be alright now Athalya, I’m here…” he whispered, wrapping his arms around her and bringing her close to his chest, letting her cry.

“I’m here now…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so hum here's the next chapter... I hope you liked it and that it wasn't too cliché or whatever =S
and also, I got a new story, but it doesn't involve Green Day, Avenged Sevenfold or any famous bands you might know. It's about a French band called Indochine. I really don't think you guys ever heard of it, but you could see this story as an original one since you have no idea what they look like ^_^'
Here's the link if you ever want to check it out,
Adora.

and thank you for all your wonderful comments =]