On the Edge of Eternity

Signed 'M'

When I woke my head was killing me, and it was still dark, and I was in a bed, my bed back at the hotel. I was a live? I was ecstatic! Boy, did I have a knack for surviving evil vampire attacks, and this time I didn’t even lose any blood. Yeah! I rolled over to look at my clock, it was only three thirty, I had been out cold for only an hour. But when my head rolled over the other pillow, I heard the crunch of paper, “What the hell?” I said I as I sat up and flipped on my bed side light, I unfolded the heavy parchment like paper, written, in handsome script and scarlet ink was a note, ‘ A pretty girl such as yourself should be more careful especially in a bar that is part of the Vampire Connection. I believe that it would be in your best interest, to not tell anyone about the events of tonight. I’m not certain how our Brat Prince Lestat would react to you almost getting yourself killed. Perhaps we will meet again under better conditions. – M’ M? Marius! It was Marius. Marius had saved me from the vampires in the alley. He obviously didn’t want to kill Lestat, or he would have let them kill me, or when he brought me back here he would have waited for Lestat and killed him then. And the Brat Prince? I liked it. It suited him perfectly. Could I be the Brat Princess? I tucked the note in my desk drawer, and walked out of my room in to the adjoining sitting room of our suit. Lindsey, Ben, Larry, and Alex looked up at me as I walked in the room. Larry actually froze bowl still to him lips, lighter raised. I spotted Lestat sprawled on the couch, the look on his face was a mix between irritation and fury. I was slightly frightened by it but also excited in the sick ‘I want to argue’ kind of way, and I was still a little angry about what had happened at the set.
“Can you leave us?” He asked the band and Lindsey. His voice was cold.
“Don’t you think that’s a little rude?” I asked my voice was heavy with attitude as I placed my hands on my hips.
“Oh so you want them to hear this?” Lestat asked angrily.
“So we are going to fight? Okay, I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.”
“Are you happy now?” Lestat asked gesturing with his left hand.
“About what? That I’ve pissed you off? Happy that I’m in LA? Either way I am.”
“Happy that you could have died.”
“But I didn’t die.”
“This isn’t your little back woods hometown you could have been killed or raped or both.”
“Or eaten.”
“Eaten?”
“Yeah, aren’t there other vampires here in LA? Or you know the Hannibal Lector type.”
“Did you see another vampire?”
“No,” I lied. Lestat argued like me, words calm full of attitude to convey our emotions you aimed to hurt when you argue like this.
“I don’t want you doing anything like that again.”
“You can’t tell me what to do.”
“The hell I can’t.”
“No, you can’t!” I suddenly realized I had screamed that.
“Why can’t I?”
“I’m not your goddamn property. And you can’t hold me down, that’ll kill me you know that!”
“Do you think I want you dead?”
“No. Yes… I dunno you want me to be a vampire.”
“Do you really think that I would rather have you dead, than alive?”
“No.”
“I am merely looking after you.”
“You were the dumbass that told me to leave the place!”
“ I was tired and irritated.”
“And that is an excuse?”
“And you walking out telling me to bite you flipping me off what’s your excuse for that?”
“PMS?”
“I thought you just had a bad temper.”
“I do. I’m tired, I’m going to bed, before I say something I regret,” I said turning to walk away. I knew if things kept going they way they were I would, “Good night,” I said over my shoulder as I walked back into my room. I was certain that I heard Lestat mutter good night before I shut the door with a snap. I quickly changed in to my pajamas. I wasn’t really tired, when I sat down on my bed. I pulled the letter out of my drawer and reread it, over and over and over again. My fingers tracing the writing . I had been saved by Marius. I wished that I had been conscious when he had. How many questions I would have asked him. I wanted more than anything to find him, I wanted to talk to him. Now I could understand Lestat’s obsession with finding him. I lay back on my bed the letter under my pillow and I slipped into a restless sleep again that night. I dreamed of terrible things that night, Lindsey’s cold dead body blood on my hands, and Lestat’s blue eyes as he tried to comfort me. Then there I was again Emily’s cold dead body in my arms. I had never had a night mare about any of the deaths I had witnessed until that night