On the Edge of Eternity

The High of Instant Fame

Then something happened after the first video was released, the band became popular! And I’m not talking ‘ Hey is that the drummer from the Vampire Lestat?’ when you walk down the street, no, I mean, girls screaming and throwing themselves at the band like they were The Beetles, or Elvis Presley. Lestat was ecstatic, it seemed that he was getting all that he wanted. Except for the fact that no one really believed that he was a vampire and I still wouldn’t give into him and accept the dark gift. I then noticed how Larry and Alex hadn’t spent the night alone in quite some time, they were always with a new girl, each prettier than the last. It was an avalanche, one thing lead to another and The Vampire Lestat was at the top of the charts. People were wearing band tees everywhere. In every music store they were playing the video, the songs on every radio station. They were the new sensation, and we were all surprised that the fan girls hadn’t discovered that we were staying at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Not that we were complaining its not like we wanted to deal with the screaming masses twenty four hours a day.

“Ugh,” I moaned as I tossed myself back on the hard wood floor, of the dance studio, the sun had just set, or at least that’s what the huge windows that looked out at the pacific ocean told me, I had been working nonstop for three days on perfecting the chorography, making sure every beat was perfectly choreographed , I now had new respect for those who choreograph whole ballets. As I had told Lestat I had never choreographed anything long than two minutes, and I had to admit that I was proud of myself for my accomplishment. I love the feeling I got after dancing for an entire day, the endorphins had been released, and it had caused ‘a feeling of well being’, my muscles were weak but relaxed, and I knew that a nice hot meal and shower and bed is the most amazing thing in the world. It amazed me how the wonderful the coolness of the floor was against my hot and sweaty flesh. I let my eyes flutter closed for a moment , and I could almost feel sleep coming over me.
“Laying down on the job?” Lestat’s sarcastic voice came from behind me.
“You try wearing these shoes all day,” I said pointing my toes and wiggling my feet.
“Do you have enough energy to go though the dance once more?”
“Alright,” I said pushing myself off of the hard wood floor and started toward the CD player.
“Oh no Cherie I’ll play,” Lestat said seating himself at the piano as I walked up stage right. Lestat just looked so right behind that grand piano, as if he belonged there. I stood and waited for him to play through the introduction that I would not be seen dancing on screen for, and in the actual song was played on the violin, and then my entrance, I would pirouette across to center stage. As I danced I danced for him. I always danced for someone else, oh don’t get me wrong, I loved dancing and every practice was when I danced for myself, but the moment I stepped out on the stage I was dancing for someone else, weather it was for my grandmother or mother or Nate, every step on the stage was for them. It was how I expressed my love for them. And now each step was for the vampire Lestat, then as the slow sweet music of the piano slowed , I slid down into a split. Splits were often my dance ending step, but they no matter where they appeared in my dance were my signature. Then I heard the music stop. Lestat had stopped playing, I was confused until I felt his soft hands on my arms as he began to pull me out of my split, and I slowly desleapped out with my right foot, as Lestat wrapped my arms around the back of his neck. From behind me I felt him push my hair off my neck , and I felt Lestat’s fangs sink in to my hot flesh.
Now gentle reader, on an interesting side note I would like to point out that I am far more long winded that I thought I was, when I started this I expected it to take no more than 100 pages to tell this tale. I just passed 109, and I haven’t even gotten to me sitting here in this luxurious ranch house in the Carmel Valley of California three weeks before the concert in San Francisco. Of course I have always appreciated irony, but now I do even more, vampires are such ironic creatures. It was going to end where it had began, in the same city where Louis had told his story to the boy reporter so many years ago. Anyhow where was I ah yes…
The hotel room reeked of pot, I inhaled deeply hoping for a contact high. I had never done anything after out little exchanges of blood besides pass out before, but tonight Lestat had lifted me out of my quite thoughtful bliss, to take me back to the hotel room. And perhaps because of his blood everything seemed so much more vibrant , there was so much more detail in everything, had I finally began to see things as a vampire might, I had smelled the pot down the hall way when I was certain that no other mortal had, I could even tell you that it was hydro, Lindsey’s favorite, hard to tell what she was doing now. Would this effect wear off or would it continue to grow stronger with the more blood I drank from my handsome Lion?
Larry looked up from the plasma screen of the television, eyes blood shot and offered me the joint, I took it eagerly,” Your back just in time for the video, and Lindsey ordering take out.”
That was one perk of being a rock star’s groupie, the pot was amazing, and cheep. It didn’t hurt that I was a one hit wonder, so one hit got me stoned off my ass, “Pizza with bacon, Lindsey,” I said as I offered the joint to Ben who was on my right.
“Nah finish it up, after the video were lightin’ up the bong!” He said looking up at me with blood shot eyes and caressing, a little disturbingly the brand new bong that he had bought.
“Sweet,” I said taking another hit, I had never been given half a joint to finish all on my own before. Just how much pot did they have? I was a little worried to find out. Ah there it was my paranoia, what if the cops stopped by the room cause they could smell it in the hallway like I could. What would my mother think? She’d be pretty angry.
“With ranch?” Lindsey asked looking at me.
“Yes with ranch,” I said before we both cracked up. We had a very bad habit of that when we were high we would look at each other and just laugh, for no reason, other than maybe we knew just how high the other was and wondered if we looked that high. And there was no stopping our laughing, until you separated us.
“Do you two do that often?” Bean asked looking between us.
“Yep,” I choked out between giggles.
“Oh god!” Larry exclaimed laughing now two.
“Now look what you two have caused,” Alex said smiling.
Once the food arrived Lindsey and I sat in the middle of the floor food surrounding us. Oh the munchies, I would eat until I was sick. Pizza, barbeque chips, cherry turn overs, and Chinese lots of Chinese, what more could a stoned girl want? Besides more pot. To be honest I was never much of a smoker. I liked being drunk much more than being high. When I was high I gave it away way too easily, and my eyes were always blood shot. I was often quite, and when I was quiet I start to think of things, and things often get to scary when I’m high to think about. That’s why I prefer being drunk, I’m loud and out going and I don’t think scary things.
For example as we sat there passing the bong between us, Lestat watching, I began to think about just what it meant to live forever. My normal stoner thoughts were how I reminded myself of my mother, or how my friends were talking about me, cause I was being quiet, but I digress; what did it mean to live forever? I mean forever was a very long time. What would happen when the world ended would you just be floating around out in space? Time goes by so fast for me, did time still pass at the same speed for a vampire? Or was did it pass slowly? I knew Lestat was lonely, part of the reason he wanted to be a rock star. And when he told me his life story he told me of how he would follow mortals for days maybe weeks, just pretending and wishing to know them. He told me that he had done that with me, but he couldn’t read my thoughts so he took a chance and sent me gifts in hopes for when he reviled himself to me I wouldn’t rejected him. Ahh damn I know why he thought I would let him make me a vampire, he had read Lindsey’s thoughts and I had told her I wanted to be a vampire. Everything makes so much more sense when your stoned. Lestat was so beautiful, and the funny thing was his personality was exactly the type I found attractive. Then I felt it the sicking drop in my stomach, as I hit the bong and passed it on. Was our relationship doomed? Buffy and Angel had a doomed relationship, could a mortal and a vampire ever really be together? Was I doomed to get hurt like I had before? Was it only a matter of time before I would be crying again. And just what would happen if I gave into him and let him make me a vampire? Could I stand him forever? Would I get sick of him and go look for someone else to make my immortal companion, and then two hundred years from then we would find each other again and be just as in love as we were now? Scary thoughts bad thoughts, think of something else, like Lestat naked. See Buffy and Angel couldn’t have sex cause Angel would lose his soul, but Lestat hadn’t lost his soul when had became a vampire and thus wasn’t cursed with one that he could lose if he knew one moment of true happiness, but would that be when we made love or when he stepped out on the stage at the concert? I really needed someone to talk to me so I could get out of my head or I was just going to keep going in circles like this forever or until I passed out.
Later that night Lindsey had the brilliant idea of her and I going swimming in the closed pool. It seemed like a good idea at the time. That was until the last bong hit, hit me and I fell into the pool. Yes I fell in the pool. I don’t really know how it happened , I just remember there being a splash and me realizing someone had fallen in to the pool. It took me a few more seconds to come to the conclusion that it was I who had fallen in the pool. I was conscious I think, but I just couldn’t make myself swim to the surface. From above me I heard Lindsey yelling for me, I knew that someone would come and get me soon, why couldn’t I just chill here for a little bit. I was sitting, and I mean everything looked so cool from under the water, I couldn’t even feel the chlorine burning my eyes, yep I was going to wait here until someone came and got my lazy ass hell maybe they’d bring cake. That was a very bad idea, on my part. That was when I blacked out. And then I died.