On the Edge of Eternity

Nightmares

I stood alone at her grave, the grave diggers had long since left as had her family and the sun was just setting behind the trees , the sky was a light with pinks and purples. It seemed unfair that the sky could be so beautiful when I was in so much pain. I had lost my best friend, how could she be in the ground when she had been here with me planning our futures only a few days ago? How many times had Jason drove drunker than he was that night? What was fair about me being the only survivor from the accident? Why did I get to walk away, and why did they die? No one blamed me, but I blamed myself. I felt completely responsible for their two deaths. I hated what I had done when I was in pain, I had even let Nate kiss me at the hospital, why? Now he was calling me three times a day, not like I answer the phone.
“ Emily,” I began, “I’m sorry. I should have known better than to let Jason drive, I should have said something. I’m sorry my curse had to take you. You always said there was no curse but I guess you got proven wrong in the worst way. I miss you. But I know your okay, in heaven, I mean I at least hope you’re in heaven, cause if you’re in hell I’ll be joining you. But if you see my grandmother tell her I said hi. I’m really going to miss all of our stupid conversations All of our stupid little schemes , like opening a coffee shop and brothel in Amsterdam, or you planning to corrupt a good Christian boy . I don’t know how I’m going to make it through college without you. I don’t know how I’m going to make it through life without you, we had it planned out so well. I was going to be the lawyer, or Physiatrist, or history professor and you were going to live in my basement and I was going to marry a doctor and he was going to support your drug habit and my alcoholism,” I half laughed, “Em, you were the only friend I had these last two years. What would I have done with out you? You help me through some stuff I never thought I could make it through. And I love you for that, I’ll never forget you.”
“Its terrible, simply tragic, ” A soft voice just off of my left shoulder said, I turned and looked It was Lindsey, dress head to toe in black, even pink in her hair had been dyed black.
“You know Emily?” I asked a little shocked.
“Emily?” She asked confused.
“I know its terrible,” Nate’s voice said from the left of Lindsey.
“Its so unfair,” Lindsey said to Nate. How bizarre they had never even met!
“Too bad we couldn’t have been here for the actual funeral,” Matt said appearing out of the darkness at the headstone, he too was dressed in black.
“I know I feel awful about it,” Lindsey replied her voice full of emotion she was about to cry.
“I feel like I wasn’t here for her!” Nate said looking down.
“I know, that’s how I feel.”
“I think that she knew we were,” Matt said frowning.
“At least she had yellow roses,” my mother said as she appeared between Lindsey and Nate. Yellow roses? They were my favorite.
“Mrs. Waters, How are you doing?” Nate asked.
“How do you think?” My mother answered with a bite in her voice, I knew from nineteen years of experience she was crying, even though I couldn’t see her face.
“I’m sorry.”
“How do you think Lestat is taking this?” Matt asked the crowd around me. Lestat? What was going on? I was confused, most of these people never even knew Emily and why did they have to miss the funeral? Why were they all showing up late at night?
“Not well,” said a new figure approaching the grave, when the man came in to my line of sight I could tell he was the handsome man from the bar, the one who I knew had saved me, Marius.
“Is he coming Marius?” My mother asked.
“Yes,” Marius answered solemnly.
“And Louis?” Lindsey asked.
“I’m here, ma cher, ” Came a voice with a French accent from the darkness behind Lindsey, the man pushed his way between us and I watched as the figure with unkempt black hair and green eyes that looked enough like me to be my brother, took Lindsey’s hand.
“Its absolutely terrible, I simply can’t believe that’ she’s gone,” Came a familiar voice, that I hadn’t heard in far too long.
“Emily!” I cried my eyes filling with tears, “Emmy what’s going on? Please tell me you know!” But there was no response it was as if she hadn’t heard me. What the hell was going on?
“Lestat,” Emily said walking into the darkness, I turned quickly to see Emily leading Lestat to the crowd.
“Lestat!” I cried as I ran towards him, grabbing his other hand, “Lestat!” I looked up at his beautiful face and saw his cheeks were stained from his blood tears, “Lestat! Why are you crying? Please answer me!”
“Lestat, How are you?” Lindsey asked as she stepped in to the light a little more, and what I saw caused me to gasp, her face too was streaked with blood tears.
“How do you think I am?” Lestat asked.
I felt a fresh wave of fear course through me. Confused and scared, I ran to my mother, the one who I always had ran to, “Mommy,” I said taking her face in my hands she didn’t even look up to acknowledge my presence, but she grimaced in pain and I saw the two tiny fangs in her mouth , “Nate!” I pleaded, but his tears too were blood. Everyone where was a vampire. I let out a blood curdling scream but to no avail no one so much as even looked up.
“She was such a fool,” Lestat began.
“Who?” I asked returning to his side taking his hand again.
“You, ma cher.”
“What?” I asked in shock.
“You never accepted the dark gift.”
“Yes, your dead and were all going to go on living forever with out you,” Nate said looking at me.
“This is my funeral?” I asked in shock.
“Oui,” the figure that was Louis answered.
“Well I don’t want you here Nate, go, if this is my funeral leave.”
“I’m not leaving , Amber, you can’t make me, besides Matt invited me, we’re friends now.”
“No, that’s weird!” I said.
“I thought so too,” Emily answered smiling.
“Someone please tell me what’s going on!” I pleaded with those who I loved.
“You died and this is your funeral,” Matt said smiling.
“How did I die?” I asked a little shocked.
“Old age,” Lestat said solemnly.
“What?” I asked a little disgusted.
“Yes you watched everyone you love become vampires but yet you still refused the dark gift, you never stopped fearing forever. You put me though hell watching you grow old and die.” Lestat said looking at me sadly.
“ You also never stopped fearing sex, you died a virgin,” Nate said looking at me smiling, “ I wasn’t a virgin when I died, er well became a vampire!”
“Thanks for sharing,” I replied looking disgusted and a little more angry, “ So I watched all the people I love die and become vampires?”
“Yes basically,” Marius answered me.
“If it weren’t for you none of us would have ever, met a vampire,” Matt said smiling at me too.
“Not that I’m complaining,” Lindsey said.
“Yeah me either,” my mother said.
“What? Mom you never wanted to be a vampire!” I said shocked.
“I didn’t, that was until I met Lestat.”
“Lestat you made her?” I asked my eyes filling with tears.
“Oui,” Lestat said smiling.
“And did you make Lindsey?”
“No, I did,” Louis answered me.
“And Lindsey made me,” Matt said
“I’ve died and gone to hell!” I screamed.
“Oh no, ma cher, you’ve died and gone no where, as there is no heaven or hell,” Lestat said looking down at me.
“No there’s a heaven and that means there has to be a hell.”
“Nope there is neither,” Lindsey said frowning.
“That’s what we kept trying to tell you, mon amore, there is nothing after this life and you would not accept that, nor the dark gift so we were destine to lose you.”
“But, but,” I began.
“Well Ma cher, its time for you to go,” Lestat said as he began to push me toward the now open grave.
“Lestat, no, no!” I screamed, I could feel his hand on my back, forcing me to the edge of the grave.
“Je’dore,” Lestat, said as he pushed me in to the pit as I began to fall I closed my eyes tightly. The only sound was my scream, and the sound of the air rushing against my ears. I seemed to fall forever in this bottomless abyss. And then I stopped falling, I felt the ground slam against my feet. I hadn’t the courage to open my eyes. I then felt something warm sliding down my throat. Confused I opened my eyes, I found my lips pressed against Emily’s neck, her soft blond hair against my face. Shocked I let her cold body fall from my arms, I heard her body hit the ground, when I saw the ghastly sight when I looked down I almost screamed, Emily’s body joined, my grandmother’s, my poor friend Justin who had died so many years ago, Shelly’s poor lifeless body, and to my utter terror, Matt’s, Nate’s and perhaps worst of all, my mothers, “Very good,” Lestat’s voice came from behind me, I felt his hand on my shoulder, I could even taste the iron of the blood still in my mouth.
“Very good? I’ve killed everyone I love!”
“You liked it didn’t you?” The sick and twisted thing was I think that I did like it, “Ma Cher this is one left,” Lestat said pushing Lindsey towards me. I grabbed her, I could feel the thirst I wanted to drink her blood, I wanted to kill her, she said nothing as I pushed her head to the side, I felt my fangs break the flesh and the warmth and sweetness of her blood filled my mouth, and to my utmost horror I did enjoy it!