On the Edge of Eternity

Squirt guns and Monsieur blowtorch

I had a plan for tonight, I was going to take the holy water that we had gotten from the catholic church and put it in a squirt gun, if that didn’t work, then I had a gallon of gasoline, and Lindsey’s roommates blowtorch. Okay that’s a whole other story but to make it short, Lindsey’s l roommate , brought a blowtorch back to school this quarter, for what reason we do not know, When we asked her why she had brought it she said, ‘ who knows what kind of shenanigans it might come in handy for.’ It became one of the things we made fun of her for, but it was coming in handy now. But the plan, I was to wait in my room for him to appear shoot him with the squirt gun , and if that didn’t work then, when he came to kill or to make me a vampire, I pour the gas on him and light the blow torch.

“So,” Lindsey said, as she stood at my door saying ‘ good night and text me’ for perhaps the last time, “ What are you going to do if the whole , gas and blow torch thing doesn’t work? I mean are you going to let him make you a vampire?”

“Well if the only two choices are be dinner and be a vampire, I’m gonna pick the second one!”

“Well you know if you do end up a vampire you have a willing first victim here, and I swear if you don’t make me a vampire I’ll be so pissed and I’ll know how to kill you!”

“You know if I become a vampire I’ll make you one.”

“I love you Amber. You better not die!”

“I love you too Lindsey! And I’m not going to die.”

“Night! And Text me!”

“Night! You know I will!” We hugged, and I watched her walk down the hall way, at least my best friend wasn’t going to die tonight. I shut the door and turned around, I restrained a scream when I saw Lestat standing there he was dressed in tight dark jeans what looked like a black tee shirt and a black leather jacket . I put my finger on the little plastic trigger of the water gun and prepared to destroy the beautiful face, by pouring vampire hydrochloric acid on it. I blinked and there he was inches from my face.

“Bonsoir, Ma Charie.” I then pulled the trigger on the water gun sending two little jets of water on to his face, he flinched and for a second I thought that I had won, but in a heartbeat, I hadn’t even seen him move, he had me by the wrists pinned to the wall, the little water gun laying useless on the floor. I was certain this was how I was going to die, before I might have had a chance of at least becoming a vampire, but I had done a great job and pissed him off, but then he did something I hadn’t expected, he laughed, baring his fighting fangs he laughed. ‘Great’ I thought, ‘ he’s going to laugh at me before he eats me, “ Charie, I take it that you do not read?”

‘What’ was the first thing that came to my mind I blinked, and tried to regain some composure before I spoke as I didn’t want my voice to shake, “ Oh no I… I read a lot, I was just hoping that Louis was mistaken or a liar.”

And the vampire continued to laugh, he laughed as I might, when Lindsey and I recalled a practically funny drunken adventure like the night she had punched and gave Greg from the second floor a bloody nose, the hardy laugh you laugh when you find something truly hysterical, I was soon to learn that he was prone to these laughing fits, “ Oh charie, Louis is a liar, but about that he did not lie.”

“Oh so a stake through the heart does work?” I asked, that was the first time I ever got the look. The look that he always gives me when I’m being facetious, his one side of his lips turns down, while the other turns up like he’s trying not to laugh , and one eye brow gets raised, it’s a very cute expression but at this point I was concerned that I was talking to an insane vampire.

“ No, not about that either,” he said with a hint of laughter in his voice. He released my wrists but still kept me almost pinned to the door.

“ What did he lie about?” my curiosity getting the best of me.

“Me. I was not the monster he made me out to be.”

I was shocked that this guy who had just bit me the night before was going to spout some bull shit about him not being a monster , oh this was rich, “Oh so you didn’t kill innocent people, and turn a little girl into a vampire, and you didn’t treat your father like crap when he was on his death bed?”

His handsome face darkened a bit, “ I did hunt mostly among evil doers Louis just wasn’t aware of this, as for the other two things you have brought against me , need explanation.”

I watched him for a second before I spoke, “ Because I am a firm believer that there are two sides to every event, I want to hear your side to the events in Interview with the Vampire.” But I honestly did. I have this bad thing with curiosity, I was always the kid asking the questions that went well beyond what we were studying in class, in fact, in my high school chemistry class, I had asked questions that had stumped the teacher, it was simply because I could not stand not knowing. And my curiosity, had often gotten me in to trouble. However I couldn’t believe what I was saying , I was inviting him to tell me a story?

Lestat smiled, it wasn’t a frightening smile, it was a smile as if he had gotten what he wanted, “Really?”

I nodded, “ As long as you sit over there and I sit over here,” I said turning on the light, how extraordinarily pail he looked under the florescence light .

“You know,” he began as he pulled the green disc chair out for me, then taking a seat on the futon across from me, “If I wanted you dead you would already be cheire.”

God, why did he have to speak in French, it was a little too much for me to handle I was fighting the urge to tell him to ‘suck my blood.’ “ Oh I know, I’ll just keep Monsieur blowtorch by my side, just in case you get peckish , and do please speak in English.”

“Pourqui?” He asked smirking.

“ Pourqui? parce que, vous Français parlant est… est..” I stammered I wasn’t sure how you said sexy in French, but I thought my answer was good enough.

“Is sexy? I got that I can smell that you like it.”

“Thanks creeper!”

The look again, “ You are quite feisty. I like it.”

“Shouldn’t you know that from stocking me for the past few months?”

“I did, I just didn’t know how you would react to me. And I just wanted you to know I liked the feistiness.”

“So are you going to tell me the story?”