On the Edge of Eternity

Hangovers

When I awoke the next morning, afternoon, evening I didn’t know, I lay there motionless for a moment, trying to piece together just what had happened the night before like I often do , after a night of drinking. For some ridiculous reason, perhaps a strange dream brought on by booze and blood, I thought I had given into Lestat had begged him for the dark gift. So I lay unmoving terrified that if I did I would hit the side of a coffin. I slowly slid my tongue over my teeth, no fangs. I sighed with relief, as the memories for the night before came back to me in flashes, his flesh against mine, my body burning for him. His lips on mine, his blood. I let my eyes open, and I found myself, in my bed, the curtains drawn shut. I could tell form the amount of light still penetrating, that it was a cloudy afternoon, about two thirty or three I guessed. I rolled over and glanced at my clock I was right, two forty five. Then I realized what had woke me up, someone was pounding on my door, “Come in Lindsey!” I moaned. Was this a hang over? No it didn’t really feel like one. I was thirsty, but I didn’t want water, or soda or booze, no, only one thing could quench this thirst. “Oh shit, that’s not good.”
“What’s not good?” Lindsey asked sitting on the edge of my bed.
“Nothing,” I said dismissively, as I sat up.
“No, don’t lie to me.”
“I’m not lying. How was your night with Ben?”
“Well,” she said holding up her thumb and index finger, “And he passed out in the middle of it.”
“He was that drunk?”
“I guess so.”
“That’s crap.”
“Yeah… I’m over it. So how was your night,” she said look me up and down. I too glanced down at my body I was still dressed in my corset a that was slightly askew.
“Eh… um…” I began.
“Did you do it?”
“No.”
“Amber you seem a little freaked out.”
“Linz I need to tell you something.”
“What?”
“You cannot tell another living soul, I don’t think that I’m really supposed to tell anyone.”
“Who the hell am I going to tell?”
“And I don’t want you to freak out about it either.”
“Amber, you can tell me.”
“Sometimes like last night… Lestat… Lestat drinks my blood.”
“You let him drink from you, that’s kinda weird, “Lindsey began, but I cut her off.
“That’s not all.”
“No?”
“Sometimes, I… I … I drink from him.”
“Oh,” The look on Lindsey’s face was one of almost disgust.
“Linz I can’t explain what it is I feel when I drink it.”
“Amber, I’m not gonna lie, that’s weird, drinking each other’s blood.”
“Don’t you think that I know it is?”
“Well I mean he is a vampire, I guess that is a vampire thing to do right?” Lindsey stopped for a moment as if she were contemplating something, “Why aren’t you a vampire?”
“He doesn’t take enough blood from me to you know kill me, so I’m not near death.”
“Oh.”
“And did you know that vampires can get drunk?”I asked my best friend.
“Really how?”
“Feed from the drunk.”
“So you mean to tell me that I can become a vampire and I can still get drunk?”
“Yeah.”
“Where’s Lestat?”
“What?”
“That was like my only reservation I had about becoming a vampire, that I wouldn’t be able to drink again, but now… Sign me up for the immortality thing.”
“Linz…”
“Oh come on Amber, don’t tell me you don’t want it, especially after what you just told me, about how you like drinking his blood.”
“Yeah but its different.”
“No, no its not.”
“I don’t care what you say if I get the opportunity to become a vampire I’m taking it.”
“Okay Lindsey.”
“Just admit that you want it.”
“Yeah okay, I’ll admit it, can I take a shower now, I’ll be down in a bit.”
“Okay,” my friend said a frown on her face.