On the Edge of Eternity

Exciting News

“Well,” Lestat began as he paced in front of us in the basement, “Tomorrow, we are headed to LA to film the first videos for the album. Now Lindsey, I want you to come so you can take some still shots to put on the website.”
“LA?” I asked excitement welling in me.
“Yes ,” He said smiling, “so just make sure you have you bags packed by tomorrow night. Now as for tonight, forgive me if I don’t feel much like partying.”
“You two want to go out?” Larry asked Lindsey and I.
“You know I’m always down!” Lindsey said excitedly.
“What about you Amber?”
“I think I’ll stay in with Lestat.” I said smiling mischievously at the handsome bastard .
“Someone’s whipped,” Alex said in an undertone to Lindsey.
“I thought you were made of some tougher shit Amber!” Lindsey laughed shaking her head.
“Yeah let us down,” Larry said shaking his head too.
“Hey, I’m getting a little offended,” I said smiling at my friends.
“Its just that she wants to spend time with Lestat,” Lindsey teased.
“Maybe I do.”
“I’m certainly not complaining,” Lestat said with a smile, “But I mean look at me, I’d rather be with this handsome fiend than in a bar.”
“Your lucky, we don’t get offended easily,” Lindsey said glaring at Lestat.

I watched as Lindsey and the rest of the band piled in to Ben’s car. They were heading to the bar, how they could party it up like they did the night before and go out and do it all over again I didn’t know. I then felt cold strong arms wrap around me from behind, “Your thirsting for it now,” He whispered in my ear.
“What?”I asked taken back that he knew.
“I know you thirst for it, my blood, you felt it when you woke this morning.”
“How did you know?”
“A hunch,” he said grinning wickedly.
“Did you know, that would happen when you first gave it to me?”
“No.”
“No?”
Lestat shook his head, before taking my hand. I rolled my eyes even though he couldn’t see, but I followed him without protest, he led me up the stairs and to the balcony that over looked the garden. The night was clear, but the air was humid and warm as it often is in the south, “ I know the ecstasy, you feel when you drink my blood, I can give that to you forever.”
“I thought that you were going to let me come to you, when I wanted the dark gift,” I said leaning against the railing, smiling wickedly.
“I did indeed say that,” Lestat laughed, “Never have I known a mortal who would turn down, the dark gift once let alone twice.”
“Well,” I said smugly, “I’m not your average mortal, I thought you already knew that.”
“Your right ma cher,” He said taking my face in his hands, his eyes were so blue, and the way his soft blond hair fell gracefully in his face, caused my heart to quicken, “What do you want to do tonight?”
The thirst for his blood returned, and I wanted to scream, ‘Become a vampire’, but I thought against it, “We could watch Buffy the Vampire slayer,” I said almost hopefully, I had thought it would have lost it appeal to me after having met a real vampire, but no, I was still in love the wit and humor of the show.
Lestat smiled fangs displayed, as he did, “Alright, ma cher, I could use a good laugh.”
“We laugh at the show for different reasons, you because of the vampires and me because I like the jokes that were written.”
“Yes but you must see the humor in the vampires, in your favorite TV show.”
“Your just glad that you don’t get all bumpy, and your pretty blue eyes don’t get all yellow.”
“Well yes that would hurt my handsome bastard persona,” I chuckled, “Besides would you really willingly let me drink from you if I looked like that?”
“Not a chance in hell,” I said smiling.
I awoke later that night, alone on the couch, to the bleach blond Spike singing to Buffy to let him rest in peace. Lestat must have left to feed. I slowly rose to my feet, flipped off the tv and walked slowly to my room, when the mansion was dark and empty it was almost scary. It didn’t help with my fear of the dark. I found it funny I had met a vampire but I was still so uneasy in the inky blackness of a familiar hall way at night. I climbed into my bed, and pulled my teddy bear close to me. I wasn’t tired any longer. I lay awake in the two hundred year old house listing to the crickets chirping and call of the Whippoorwill. I lay waiting for the sound of the Larry’s car or the low roar of Lestat’s motorcycle. As I lay there in the stillness I began to think back about all the people at home. I began to think of all the people who would envy me for being here in New Orleans, and then tomorrow night LA. I thought of how I should send Hanna, and Beth spiteful postcards, or even one to Nate. What would he think to find out I was evolved with Lestat. Although I knew no one would have ever believed that I was actually here. Would Nate be jealous? I knew Hanna and Beth would be. Part of me was over all the high school drama but was I really? Did high school ever really end? No, there had been just as much drama in college as there had been in high school. Somewhere lost deep in thought and the inky black stillness I drifted off to an uneasy sleep.