Still so Young - Desperate for Attention

Chapter Ten.

---

Brendon

---

Brendon was laying on the couch in the dark. He kind of liked the peaceful silence in his house. By the time he’d gotten home Will and his parents were gone, and he had the house to himself. He watched some TV, talked on the phone to Gabe, and finally turned everything off and laid back on the couch. It was oddly relaxing. He should do this more often. Maybe, if he-

“Bren!” A familiar voice called, and Brendon sighed heavily. Of course.

“Hey,” He smiled, sitting up as Will came into the room.

“Have you had dinner?” His mom asked as she put her purse on the hanger by the door.

“I had some snacks, I’m fine.” Brendon shrugged, “I think I might go to bed early tonight though.”

“Are you going out with your friends before school again?” His dad asked.

“No way.” Brendon laughed, “I don’t know why we ever thought that was a good idea.”

“Me neither.” His dad agreed, and Brendon didn’t have to look to know that he probably had an amused smirk on his face.

“You’re going to bed?” Will asked wide eyed, and Brendon looked at him cautiously.

“I’m tired, Will.”

“But I just go home.”

“What did you want to do?” Brendon sighed.

“We could played a board game or something.”

“Will,” their dad cut in, “You’ve both got school tomorrow and Brendon’s tired, let him go rest.”

Will pouted, and Brendon sighed, “We can watch a movie in my room, but I’m going to fall asleep.”

Will brightened instantly, “What movie?”



When Brendon woke the next morning he wasn’t surprised to see that Will was sprawled next to him and his TV was still on making an annoying humming noise as the screen was glowing bright blue.



Ryan



Ryan woke up, and he felt sick. He slowly craned his neck to the side and saw that he was laying on his floor, half of his lower body under the bed. He pulled himself up on shaky arms and glanced at the clock showing four am. He really shouldn’t have had that coke. He moved up into his bed, and pulled the covers tight around him quickly falling back to sleep after he placed a hand over his pounding heart.



As he got out of bed he decided that he wouldn’t worry too much about his appearance today. He pulled on a grey tshirt and blue jeans, brushing through his hair so he wouldn’t look like he’d come straight out of bed, but he didn’t bother doing anything with it.

He took the stairs down slowly, and sat down gracefully on the stool at the counter in the kitchen, glancing at his dad’s back as he stood at the counter fiddling with the coffee pot.

“What happened to the counter?” His dad mumbled roughly, and he glanced at the crack on the countertop from his father’s fist. He shrugged halfheartedly.

“I need the car today.”

“Thanks for actually telling me in advance.” Ryan mumbled, leaning into the table.

His dad made an unhappy noise before glancing over his shoulder, “Need a ride to school?”

“It’d be appreciated.” Ryan returned groaning audibly when he remembered he had taken his bag upstairs last night before hopping off the stool and slowly ascending the staircase. The bag seemed heavier than he remembered, and when he got back downstairs his dad was waiting at the door, and Ryan could smell his freshly applied cologne all over the bottom floor. It was better than what he had to smell when he got home at night.

The ride to school was silent, and upon arriving Ryan didn’t even bother with a ‘goodbye’ as he got out of the car and trudged up to the building.

Ryan went to his classes silently and tried to get through the day as quickly as possible.



Brendon



Brendon sat at lunch staring amused as Gabe harassed Victoria. Victoria had made one small comment about how she had some Indian in her blood and Gabe –after laughing for a bit- decided to be obnoxious about it the rest of lunch.

“Look over here…in nature. Eating strawberry icecream we have…a savage. Why aren’t you mashing berries, Savage? Who told you, you could come indoors, Savage?” He had leaned over so that his head was right behind Victoria’s so she wasn’t able to block him out. She stared unamused at her icecream, taking another bite.

Brendon faintly registered some more people joining there table, but he ignored them. Gabe paused to put a hand over his mouth and giggle before continuing, “Get outside and mash some berries. Go pick some corn.” He paused again, “Corn,” He repeated, “How do you say it? What is it? …What is it? How do you say corn? How do you say corn, Savage?”

He paused and got a big grin on his face before, “How do you say corn? Is it? Is it…maize. Maize is among you, Savage.” He spoke before collapsing into a fit of giggles. I shook my head before turning back to the rest of the table. The new guys were all watching mildly freaked out, including Ryan.

“Gabe, you know about none of that really made sense?” Victoria spoke.

“’Course it did.” Gabe stated smugly, “You’re savage brain just didn’t understand it.”

“No, really, she’s right.” I smirked.

“Brendon,” Gabe spoke leaning closer to me, “Are you a savage, too?”

“Don’t start again.” I shook my head, “Please, for the sake of everyone.”

“You’re no fun.” Gabe pouted, crossing his arms and huffing dramatically. I pushed my fries towards him, and his face went from angry to happy instantly as he grabbed a handful.

“Ross, you’re awfully quiet.” One of the new guys –Cash, Brendon reminded himself- spoke, sparing a glance towards Ryan. Brendon looked up at Ryan who was eating silently.

“I’m fine.” Ryan shrugged. Cash lowered his voice and continued speaking to Ryan in what sounded like a concerned tone. Brendon looked away after figuring out he wasn’t going to be able to hear the rest of their conversation.

After Brendon was done with his lunch, he realized he spent too much time watching Gabe be dumb, and he couldn’t go see Will. He reluctantly went to his next class.

Brendon actually hadn’t realized he’d had any classes with Ryan. Though, he wasn’t that surprised -Brendon’s noticed throughout the day that Ryan’s really quiet around school. You really wouldn’t notice him unless you were looking for him. Not that he’s been looking or anything- to find that he and Ryan share the same Algebra 2 class.

He totally wouldn’t have noticed though, had Ryan not raised a hand and asked to go to the nurse. He watched confused -and mildly concerned, though he’d never admit it- as the teacher filled out a quick nurses slip as Ryan stood and walked slowly to the front of the classroom, one hand gripping his grey tshirt over his chest the entire way there. Ryan took the yellow slip from the teacher and exited the classroom.

Brendon was distracted throughout the rest of the lesson.



Ryan



Ryan walked down the hallways for a few moments before realizing he didn’t have a single clue where he was going. He ventured through the hallways hand still clutched subconsciously in his shirt.

He passed by a little room with a bunch of health posters hung all over the walls and did a double take before walking carefully up to the door. The lady in the room eyed the yellow paper in his hand before smiling sweetly and saying, “What can I do for you?”

Ryan stepped hesitantly into the room and –wait, were her eyebrows drawn on?- glanced around, “I’m not feeling well.”

“Well, that explains why you’re here.” She cocked her head to the side and was staring at him expectantly. Ryan swallowed, “Yeah, uh, it does.”

“Alright, you can lie down over there.” She smirked, “What class are you skipping?” She pulled her feet up into her chair sitting Indian-style. Ryan hesitantly sat down on the plastic bed muttering a quick, “Uh, I’m missing math.”

“Oh, good choice.” She smiled, “Don’t worry, I’ll cover for you. What class do you have next?”

Ryan felt his eyebrows dip concerned. Was this seriously his new school’s nurse?

“Uh, I really don’t feel good.” He squinted.

“Oh,” The woman’s expression fell, “I’ll turn off the light then.” Ryan laid back and rubbed at his chest as she stood and the room was dark except for the glow coming from the computer in the corner.

Ryan closed his eyes, but not before seeing the girl open up solitaire and begin dragging the cards around. He didn’t know which direction he’d rather lay. It felt a bit creepy with someone else in the room, but after realizing that she wasn’t too interested in him he rolled onto his side pulling his hands up by his face and getting comfortable. He listened to his own breathing and the clicking of the computer mouse as he started to doze off.



Ryan faintly remembers a shrill ringing waking him up a little every once in a while, but for the most part he sleeps pretty soundly. He does however awake when students flood the hall at the end of the day and start slamming their locker doors shut. He sits up slowly and grabs his bag from the floor. The nurses office is still dark, but he can see students clearing out of the halls through the open doorway.

“Thanks,” Ryan spoke as he stood up, “Ms.” He paused.

The nurse glances up from a book she was reading in the corner by a small lamp looking mildly confused before speaking quickly, “Palmer.”

Ryan nodded giving her a small smile before slipping into the hallways and towards the front of the school. There weren’t many students around and Ryan was mildly worried as he ventured faster through the parking lot. He cursed as he didn’t see many cars and pulled out his cell phone fully prepared to demand for Spencer to come get him when a voice from behind him made him stop.

“Ryan!” Ryan could tell who’s voice that was instantly, though he’d only heard it a little. Ryan turned to see Brendon and his brother –who was waving a hand at him- heading through the parking lot next to Gabe.

Ryan gave a small smile and equally small wave in return and the kid absolutely beamed.

“Are we taking you home again?” The kid –shit, what was his name?- asked once he was closer, and Ryan glanced at Brendon and Gabe uncertainly.

“Uh,” He muttered, mouth open uselessly.

“Do you need a ride?” Brendon asked, and Gabe looked bored.

“Uhm,” Ryan spoke slowly, “Possibly?” He raised an eyebrow. Brendon rolled his eyes and started walking again.

“Come on.” He offered, and his brother -Wade?- bounced happily beside him. Ryan followed behind them and opened the door to the back seat.

“You can sit up front.” Brendon offered, and Ryan watched confused as the kid -Wilson or something- got in Gabe’s car.

“Isn’t he..?” Ryan trailed off holding a finger in the air.

“Gabe’s taking him to a movie.”

“Oh,” Ryan nodded like that wasn’t weird to him at all. He got in the front seat and put on the seat belt, pulling his legs up into the chair.

“Are you feeling okay?” Brendon asked as he backed out.

“Yeah,” Ryan nodded, “Why?”

“Oh, I just saw you go to the nurse.”

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just a headache.” He spoke easily, “The nurse is weird though.”

“Amanda?” Brendon smiled as he exited the school parking lot.

“Ms. Palmer.” Ryan offered confused.

Brendon’s smile grew, “Amanda’s awesome.”

“How old is she?”

“She just graduated like when I was entering high school.” Brendon shrugged.

“And she’s the school nurse.” Ryan spoke incredulously.

“Her dad owns the school.” He smiled, “She totally wouldn’t be here if he wasn’t making her stay home. She had a band, they were pretty cool, and I think they were going to go on tour or something, but her dad made her work at the school so he could keep an eye on her. Her mom’s a nurse.” Brendon supplied.

“She seemed nice though.” You mumbled.

“Yeah, she enjoys getting to hang out with other teenagers from time to time.” He shrugged, flicking on his blinker. He cursed when he noticed traffic was backed up, and Ryan watched interested as Brendon pulled into a parking lot off the rode and stopped.

“Is that a wreck?” He squinted.

Ryan glanced where he was looking spotting the police cars, ambulances, and fire trucks,
“Looks like it.”

“I think I know a back way.” Brendon spoke again before pulling out of the parking lot and turning the opposite way and heading on a road Ryan didn’t even know existed –which isn’t too shocking considering he hasn’t been here long.

They sat in comfortable silence as Brendon drove down the quiet, empty road, until a little ball of fur flashed past and Brendon hit the brakes. Ryan’s heart started pounding hard.
“Sorry,” Brendon spoke alarmed, and he had an arm out across Ryan’s chest to keep him from jolting forward, “Sorry,” He repeated calmly lowering his arm. He continued driving down the road, and Ryan noticed something that must’ve slid up on the floor when he hit the brakes. Ryan unfolded his legs placing them back down on the floor before reaching over and grabbing it.

“Cupcakes taste like violence.” He read aloud glancing at Brendon and raising an eyebrow. Brendon didn’t respond for a moment before he glanced over and let out a ‘huh?’. His eyes shifted towards where Ryan was holding the CD, and he went wide eyed grabbing it out of his hand and shoving it down next to his seat.

“Jeffree Star?” Ryan smirked, glancing to Brendon and subconsciously rubbing at his chest.

“No.” Brendon squinted, not taking his eyes off the road. They were silent again for a while
before, “Do you know where we are?”

Ryan glanced up to Brendon as they got on another road that was a bit more populated.
“Of course.” Brendon replied glancing around, “What kind of blizzard do you like?”

Ryan squinted at him muttering uncertainly, “Butterfinger?”

“Seriously?” Brendon squinted before pulling in Dairy Queen’s parking lot, “Okay…” He pulled into the drivethru and Ryan squinted.

“No, I don’t-” Ryan stopped as Brendon ordered.

“I don’t have any money.” Ryan spoke as Brendon finished.

“It’s like two dollars, it’s fine.” Brendon flipped his hand towards him before pulling around to the window. Five minutes of Ryan’s protesting later, he had a Butterfinger Blizzard in his hands. It’s not like he can just sit here and watch it melt, right? He took a few bites, and seriously, why did this taste so good?

“I should not be eating this.” He mumbled glancing down at the blizzard.

“Just enjoy it.” Brendon spoke his own mouth full of his Oreo blizzard. He pulled back onto the road.

“Do you seriously know where we are?” Ryan spoke again.

“Ryan,” He turned, sighing, “I’ve lived her my entire life. Have you no faith in me?”

“How do I know that you’re not going to drag me behind one of these run down buildings and kill me?”

“That,” Brendon spoke smiling, “Is a good idea.” He glanced over towards Ryan smirking.

“Seriously,” Ryan changed the subject, “I should not be eating this.”

“Just a few calories.” Brendon shrugged.

“No, just the sugar.” Ryan shrugged rubbing at his chest again.

Brendon snorted, continuing down the road.

“Uh,” Brendon spoke slowing down as he got to an intersection, “This should come out around your neighborhood,” He added a mumbled, “Maybe.”

“Seriously?” Ryan squinted, glancing behind them. Brendon turned onto the road and drove down it confidently. It was curvier than Ryan had expected, and Brendon slowed a bit turning off onto a different road.

“Where are you going?” Ryan squinted.

“South,” Brendon answered before glancing over at Ryan, “of my house at least.” He
shrugged, “Cause your house is south of my house.”

Ryan squinted at him –and really? Should he be afraid that Brendon really will murder him?- and went back to eating his blizzard. About the time that Ryan started scraping at the bottom of his cup with his spoon was when it started acting up again. Ryan put both hands over his chest, and he straightened up breathing slower right as Brendon turned towards him and looked regretful.

“We’re lost.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Dun.Dun.DUN.
Alright, just about 3,000 words for you guys! <3
Comment, please! :D
Also, I'm leaving town again Wednesday morning, and I won't be back for a week or so. I probably won't have much internet connection, and if I do it won't be on a computer, so I can't post while I'm away. I'll try to update more before I leave. :)

Goodnight!