Glitter in the air

Look

“Look, Olive. You don’t have to be so sore about it all. I’m sure there’s a guy out there for you too. You just have to wait a little bit longer. That’s all, okay?” Her sister, Lena said. It didn’t make anythingeasier. Actually, it was quite simple. Her mother was dead, her father off somewhere, and she was left alone to live with Lena and her family.

“Hey, honey!” Her husband, Bill said as he kissed his wife on the lips. Lena. The beautiful one out of the two girls. Olive never was something special. Actually, she was really normal.

She wasn’t super intelligent either. No, this girl, this Olive, was average. She was in the upper category of her school, of course, but she wasn’t the leading light of her grade. No. She just tried to make life seem easier. She was nineteen, yet everything around her looked the same as it did six years ago. Nothing changed.

Too bad all those stories make you think the leading girl is an understated girl. No. Olive wasn’t like that. Olive was a random girl. She didn’t have a cheerful personality. She didn’t have special talents. She didn’t like quirky things.

No.

Olive was just a city girl. And that’s where it ended.

“Hey, Bill!” Lena bid back and she let out a breath-taking smile. Her full lips graciously showed her model worthy smile and her cat-like eyes closed, revealing the really long lashes she had. She offered Bill a cup of coffee and her palms rested on top of his, showing her long fingers and even longer nails. People always used to tell her she has a piano player’s fingers or that she should be a hand model.

“Your hand is your card.” Lena always used to say to Olive. She glanced down at her own nails: bitten and quite normal. She shuddered and occupied herself with looking at Lena. Analyzing her.

She used to be a thin girl, but once she had her first child, the pounds were packed on, and she couldn’t shake them off, so this was her greatest flaw, she supposed. Her hair was long and straight, blond and her big blue eyes always had a mischievous glint in them. Olive had black, thick, wavy hair. It had a mind of it’s own. Her eyes were small and black and her lips were somewhat small and rosy. There really was nothing special about Olive.

She was fit, yes, but her curves always made her nervous. She didn’t dress baggy, no. She dressed normal but she always had her arms around her forearms. Her mother always used to say how Asian Olive looked. It didn’t help her. She still saw herself as average. And she was.

“How are you, Olive?” Bill asked her, smiling gently. She knew she was a burden.

“Good, Bill. I found an apartment today.” She said, looking at her nails, tiredly.

One, two, three..

“You did?!” Lena and Bill asked in one breath. Olive laughed lightly and nodded her head.

“Yeah. It’s kinda small, but I managed to get it.” At last, Olive didn’t have to babysit the children anymore. Didn’t have to clean the house or watch the undying display of love courtesy of Bill and Lena.

Lena looked a bit apprehensive. Her little sister rented an apartment without her knowing, or approval. Nobody would babysit the babies anymore and their program would be much more hectic. Olive just smiled a bit and poured herself some cold milk.
♠ ♠ ♠
"I just haven't met you yet."
- Michael Buble

This is just because I've been gone for so long and no one unsubscribed. Thank you guys! You're the best.
xo, lynn