Glitter in the air

Swear.

"Okay, so, I have to ditch town." I tried talking to myself, hoping to find the best answer as to what I was supposed to do. Of course, I couldn't return to Iris and claim that I mistakenly took the earrings. They were huge. Someone like me would not have that kind of jewelery of laying around. Plus, I was sure that Ryder already called the cops and that it was just a matter of time before they made the connection between my abrupt departure and the cleaning of his room the day before. I couldn't go back there. I wouldn't bear to look at Ryder's disappointed face and Edith's mourning one.

Globs of sweat formed on my forehead as I tried to rationally think everything over. I barely had enough money for a one way ticket to Chicago. I couldn't go out of the country.

Unless...

No. I wouldn't dare pawn something as precious looking as those earrings. Plus, they'd take them for almost nothing. I had to think of something else. I kept looking at the door as if mere seconds were saving me from the police. I knew, realistically speaking, that I wouldn't get out of this safe and secure. Something bad would happen. Maybe I still had time to go back.. But Ryder's not that stupid. He noticed the absent riches. I was in deep, deep crap.

Just then, the phone started ringing. I jumped up and bit my nails. I couldn't risk exposing my whereabouts. Maybe they thought I was some genius who already fled town. It went straight to voice mail.

"Olive, honey, we called because you're quite a bit late and something happened here that really requires your presence. Please come down at Iris as soon as possible. See you later, sweetie."

That was it. They knew. I ran to my small closet, threw open the doors that broke and grabbed a duffel bag. I filled it as fast as I could, not caring about the state my clothes were about to be in. Wrinkles were the least of my worries right now.

"Oh, shit shit shit." I blurted, hearing the phone ring again.

" Olive, we're really sorry about this but some jewelery was stolen and we have to clear everything up. I'm sure you didn't take anything but we had to send a police squad to come check. They should be there in a few minutes."

"Major shit!" I yelled, grabbing onto clothes twice as fast. I filled it with the necessary objects and ran out the door, not bothering to close the door behind me. I wouldn't be returning there anytime soon. I ran down the old stairs, hearing them squeak and crack as my heavy steps made contact with them. I heard a few doors open behind me, probably curious people who wanted to know what the racket was all about. As soon as I reached the sidewalk, I took out a green cap, and put it on my head, making sure that it covered my eyes.

Just as Edith said, a police officer really was driving a car and stopped in front of my building. Luckily, I was watching the scene unfold from the bus station. I desperately prayed that the bus came earlier today. This truly was life and death. As if by magic, I saw the bus approach me, slower than ever, before stopping to a halt near me, I rapidly searched my pockets for 3 bucks. I found the sum in pennies, that I almost threw at the driver, who was watching me, a bit suspicious. I made sure I had my eyes covered still, and went to the back of the truck, where I clutched my duffel bag as if my life depended on it. I then thought that I could have simply thrown the earrings off somewhere after I cleaned my prints off it. That way nobody could hold me responsible. I felt like hitting my head, before I remembered that no strangers were allowed in Iris. I would have still been one of the main suspects. I cursed the decision I made to go to work, and I cursed my luck to be assigned that room specifically. I looked out the window, propping my chin in my right hand. I looked at the trees that disappeared rapidly in a sea of colors. Looks like the driver was also in a rush. I exhaled and noticed that the next stop was mine.

I went near the door, dragging my duffel bag with me and stepped out of the bus as soon as it stopped. I was now at the Intercity Bus Station. This was where I had to climb the bus that would help me escape to Chicago. I really had no plan of what I'd do once I reached it. I just knew I had to get my ass out of here. Fast. Old people were watching me strangely as I darted to the bathroom, mortified to discover that my face was now planted across all the TVs in the Station. I went into a stall, ignoring the pure stench coming out of it, and refraining myself from looking around, because, frankly, I had enough on my plate already, I didn't need vomit on top of it. I heard the speakers blast the news of the bus departing to Chicago. I had twenty minutes to buy a ticket and change my clothes. I grabbed my duffel bag, opened it and threw on a baggy pair of black high-waisted jeans, sandals and a green summer scarf wrapped around my neck. I put on a red wig, that for some reason I bought as soon as I finished high school and put on a large pair of sunglasses. I no longer was Olive. I was now a long-haired redhead that just ended her internship in a blah town. I was Rose Stevenson.

Feeling my new identity, I strutted over to the ticket counter and looked at the cashier confidently.

"A ticket for Chicago, please." I said, in a voice with a strong, Russian accent. I mentally slapped myself. That accent was really not necessary.

"50$ and 22 cents." The cashier replied, in a bored voice and I nodded my head. I handed her the money and she gave me the ticket, whilst looking at me strangely. I got the ticket and shook it off. I made my way to the awaiting bus, only to be stopped by a hand on my shoulder.

I turned back, acid remark at the ready, but I quickly bit my tongue, when I noticed a tall, fat officer stare at me coldly. I shook his arm off and we both stared at each other.

"Excuse me, but I have to go." I excused myself. "I'm late for-

"Save it. Your wig is not properly put on, miss Black.. Now please come with me. We're expected at the station." The cop explain, dragging me off by my arm. I snaked my arm out of his hold and looked at him shocked.

"I am not miss Black. My name is Rose Stevenson." I tried again. The cop sighed and ripped my wig off, along with a few of my own strands and took my sunglasses off. I gasped and he cuffed me, pushing me slowly into the car. As he drove out of the parking space, confidently and silently looking ahead, I was pissing my pants. I was watching my future go down the drain. I had a river of curses, really complex ones too, going through my head, ranging from taking the job as a maid, to meeting Ryder and, finally, taking the earrings. I had no idea a man so wealthy as him, would make this much of a scandal.

Oh, maan.
♠ ♠ ♠
"I just hope you miss me a little when I’m gone."
- Drake