Glitter in the air

Shout

Next thing I know, I was being taken to the police station, where some random guy handled me and almost threw me in a interrogation room. And when I say interrogation room, it did not look like the ones in CSI or Criminal Minds. Reality did not resemble TV at all. I guess that’s the reason it’s called reality. It sucked. It was a tiny room, with cement walls, one desk and two chairs on each side of it. There was an old fashioned TV in there, and surely enough, a camera was set up and the red light told me that we – well I – was being taped. I felt my legs turn to jell-o, and I didn’t fight the cop who bruised my arms, nor did I try to remove the cuffs from my arms.

Weren’t they supposed to remove these things?

I waited for what seemed like an hour, who knows, maybe it was an hour, until two detectives came into the room, dressed in suits, just like on TV. At least one aspect matched. One was tall and well built, with blond hair and tired green eyes, while the other was a brunette with angry black eyes, quite skinny, but scary looking. The blond one was dressed in a beige suit with a striped shirt, and the other in a white shirt and black suit. I already cursed in my head for my stupidity, and I drew back when the men came closer.

“Ms. Black, I am detective Ramirez, and this is detective Lee. I’m sure you know why you’re here.” The blond spoke and I huffed.

“No, actually, I don’t. “ Was the reply going through my head, but I decided not to say it, because I would have sounded like a huge hypocrite. Instead, I nodded my head silently, with a desolate look on my head, and for a moment, I think I saw the two detectives shift around uncomfortably, before putting back their work faces.

“Now, could you tell us where the earrings are?” Detective Ramirez asked gently, and I took my time, looking at my fingernails. I didn’t know if they were trustworthy, and plus, what if they stole the earrings? I stole a look at detective Lee, who seemed to kill me with his eyes. I shivered a little and looked at the kind detective, still awaiting my answer.

“They’re somewhere in the bag I was carrying when I got arrested. I don’t really remember where I put them, but they’re surely in there somewhere.” I confessed, and Lee went out of the room, not even looking back. I stood back on the chair, with the crisp air around almost suffocating me. I hated being judged, especially when I knew whoever was doing it was right. I was in such deep shit.

“Did you steal anything else from the house?” The blond detective murdered the silence and my head snapped up, and I looked at him disbelievingly.

“Excuse me?” I asked back, all the nerves I had crawling back into my skin.

“So I’m supposed to believe you didn’t steal anything else except the priciest things in the house? That even when you had a whole mansion filled with precious items, you stopped at a pair of earrings?” Ramirez boomed and I widened my eyes, stunned. Why did he change his attitude so fast? Did Ryder blame his mistakes on me? Because he couldn’t find some random object and suddenly I was the thief in the house?

“Look, I don’t know who you think I am, but those are the only things I took. If you want to blame other shit on me, you better think again!” I yelled.

Just as Ramirez was about to say something, Lee came back into the room with a grim look on his face. “They couldn’t find the bag.”

They both looked back at me and I watched them, already knowing what they were thinking. Lee pulled out a small chair that was underneath the table and exchanged whispers with detective Ramirez. Suddenly, they both pierced me with their eyes and I could see slight madness in them. Were they supposed to kill me, or what?

“Where did you put the bag, miss Black?” Detective Ramirez asked, struggling to keep his composure. I bit my lip, knowing that what I was about to say would definitely set him off.

“I don’t know.”

“What do you mean you don’t know?” The two detectives shot up, yelling the same thing. They slammed their hands against the table, making it shake slightly.

“I’m telling you I don’t fucking know! You took my things when you put me in here! This is all your fault! Hire better people, that are actually capable of doing their job!” I shouted, not feeling their crap anymore. Their mouths dropped open, and in a very short amount of time, their faces were really red.