Glitter in the air

Laugh

Needless to say, I felt like dying. The TV stopped and turned off. Someone entered the room, and I sighed, exasperated. I looked up, ready to face whoever came to make my life a living hell, but I was truly surprised to see Edith there. She made her way to the seat in front of me and sat down, all the while avoiding any kind of eye contact with me. I felt a little hurt, and I knew I should explain everything, but in a sea of thoughts, I didn’t know which one to pick first.

“Edith,..” I began my apology, but she put a hand up, silencing me. We sat in silence for quite some time, before she looked up at me, with angry tears in her eyes. I drew back, and looked at her. It was as if she wasn’t Edith anymore, the kind grandmother, but another Edith, seeking revenge.

“You – you ungrateful little scum! How could you?” Edith shouted.

“Edith – “ I tried again, only to be interrupted again.

“No! You listen to me, you thief! Ryder trusted you and gave you a job and if it weren’t for him you would have probably ended up on the streets! I deeply regret trusting him with your interview. Who knows, maybe it could have saved us all this trouble! I am very disappointed in you. I’m glad that you are know where you belong!” She shouted through tears, shaking and grasping tightly on her dress.

That moment, right there, my heart shattered, It felt like I lost my family. I felt like leper.

“I’m –“ I began and Edith got out before I could finish my sentence. “sorry.”

Hours dripped by, and I felt numb. I couldn’t even cry. All I did was hiccup and sob, but tears just refused to fall. I heard the door open again, but I didn’t even look at who entered. I didn’t care anymore. Things couldn’t possibly get any worse than they already were. A chair was drawn back, scratching against the floor and I peaked at who sat.

Ryder sat in front of me, his hair a mess and his tie undone, his shirt out of his jeans and his eyes red. I looked away ashamed, his eyes resembling those of Edith. He slammed something on the table, right in front of me, and I looked at what was thrown. It was a newspaper. The letters were blurry, probably due to my lack of sleep, but I managed to make out ‘Denvers Communicatios crashes and burns’. I felt a tear trickle down my cheek. I didn’t know what to say.

“I’m a step away from losing the company. The company that’s been in the family for generations and down I can lose it because of a maid! Can you fucking believe it?!” He shouted angrily and I flinched, but figured I should let him vent and take all his anger out on me, because I was in fact guilty. “I stay awake at night, beating myself up, cursing the day I hired you. I hope you have fun in jail, Olive, because that’s where you’re going to be for a long time.” He spat and got up. At this point, I was crying hysterically, and I got up and grabbed his shirt, but he shook me off like a disease and escaped the damnation room.

Things could always get worse. Especially when Lena came in, perfectly dressed dressed up and coiffed, lacking the decency to feel sorry for me.

“Oh, Olive. How could you?” She began and I kept myself from punching her. “What will the people say? You know how many clients I could lose if your name comes out? Do you have any idea how many hours I put in this job, just to see it all come down to nothing because of your reckless behavior? Oh, Olive! I thought you knew better!” She wailed and I honestly could not take it anymore.

“Oh, shut the fuck up, you stuck up bitch. You never helped me with anything and even when you let me stay at your place, you treated me like a fucking slave. You have no idea how to run your family and I’m sure your kids will grow up somewhat retarded because your idea of motherhood is turning on the TV, and placing your kids in front of it with bowls of ice cream and muffins that you didn’t even make! So don’t you dare come here and preach to me, because your own fucking life is a mess! I’m ready to go to my cell now.” I spoke into the mirror-like windows, not even bothering to look at Lena. Soon enough, a detective came and put me in a cell, that already seemed occupied with an older woman, that wore far too tight and small clothes, with fishnets and incredibly high heels, and her wrinkled face that was caked on with make up is what made me realize what she was.

I sat down in my bed, just praying that this day comes to an end. I put my arm over my eyes and tried to sleep on the cold, uncomfortable bed.