Glitter in the air

Squeal

A month later, I was somehow released. The only explanation I got was that Ryder dropped all the charges. I didn’t know you could do that. I’m sure he pulled some strings. I looked back at my cell one last time, and got out, escorted by a warden, who took me to dress in my clothes and I got out of the prison as fast as my legs could carry me.

During that one month, Eliza became my best friend. I told her about the theft of the earrings, and she laughed it off and wondered why I acted like I killed someone. She said that she asked her friends, that were prostitutes and drug dealers, much like she was, to tell her about the situation that Denver Communications was in. They told her that the company was fine and that it survived the scandal. That news made me carry on every day. Eliza told me that she had five kids, and was diagnosed with severe cancer, thus she was expected to die in about a month. A week before my release, her condition got worse. They even took her to a hospital, but they brought her back, confirming her worst fears. She was dying. I knew I’d miss that boisterous personality, that bleached blond hair and those long red nails. I’d miss her kind soul and her honest words. On her death bed, she handed me five letters. She told me the letters were for her kids, whom she had never met, and asked me to deliver it to them, without letting them know who their true mother was, and what she did for a living.
“But don’t you want them to know who you are?” I asked tearfully. She gasped and turned her head to look at me better.

”A what? A drug dealer and prostitute? Let them dream.” She responded and I nodded my head.

“Okay, Eliza. I’ll give them the letters.” I told her and she closed her eyes with a smile on her face.

And that’s how Death took her. With a smile on her face.