Glitter in the air

Kill

I thought about heading to Ryder’s place and thanking him for not letting me rot in that God forsaken place, but I felt a slight tug at my heart. I knew I wasn’t forgiven and he probably didn’t want to see me ever again, but while I was in there, I realized something. And I had to tell Ryder that.

I hailed a cab, and I got in. Luckily, I didn’t have to make an ass out of myself, because the radio was on and announced that Ryder was at a local mall, holding a press conference, before going out of the country for some other business.

”LaRoque Mall, please.” I told the cab driver who just looked at me weirdly in the mirror, and he drove off to the destination. The whole way there, I looked at the streets we passed, at the people who smiled and ran around with their kids, holding arms with their lovers or just out, on a random walk. I never thought I’d come to say this, but I missed waiting at a red light. I missed living in a crappy apartment and sleeping in my own small bed. I missed being cursed by the rushed drivers and climbing Iris’ gates just to go home. I missed every single aspect I thought made my life a living hell.

“We’re here.” The cab driver said and I handed him the money, $20, and got out, scurrying to the busy entrance, that was filled with reporters and the local media.

I tried making my way in, but I was stopped by a bulky security guy.

“I’m a reporter.” I said and hurried in, before he could reach me.

When I reached the room, I was astounded at the sheer size of it. It used to be some kind of empty space, probably a new shop, but was now filled with what looked like a ton of plastic chairs and a long black table, that had wooden chairs behind it, accompanied by glasses and various drinks and cards that sat on it. I took a seat somewhere in the back, and waited for the conference to begin. After half an hour, the people from the company started filling the seats, the last being Ryder. He took a seat casually, with a thoughtful gaze, but snapped out of it as soon as the reporters started shouting questions that mixed together. He sat back patiently, probably being used to this kind of thing. I looked at the clock, and I decided my cause could not wait any longer. I still had the letters that Eliza gave me. I figured I’d give them when I was done with this.

“I have something to say!” I yelled above all the rest and the room went dead quiet. I shuffled around a bit, awkwardly looking around, and avoiding Ryder’s stunned gaze. I turned to the reporters, letting them all look at me. “My name is Olive Black. You all know me as the maid who stole Mr. Denvers’ earrings. For that, I am deeply sorry.

However, I am here to make things right, thus I admit to stealing them, and I take full responsibility for everything bad that has happened because of my actions. Here are the earrings, Mr. Denvers.” I said, holding them up, watching as they glinted in the light. An employee of his came up to me and handed him the earrings, which he took and analyzed carefully. “And as for the rest of you, I know that your job is to show everything as it is, but Mr. Denvers was a victim in this case. He’s an amazing man, that hired me when I had nothing, and I broke his trust. So please, show this everywhere. Show this to everyone. Make it reach Mr. Takashi, and see who was the one behind all of this mess. Thank you.” I concluded, and the room was dead silent for a few seconds, before it exploded with questions. A security guard came up beside me and escorted me out, asking me kindly to leave. I nodded my head and wondered where I should go. I tried to go to my old apartment, and when I reached it, the landlord came up to me and hugged me.

“Good job, miss Black. You can have your apartment back. No one wanted to take it, anyway.”

“Thank you.” I smiled and went back, memories crashing into me like a wave.

I did the right thing. I did.