Glitter in the air

Hope

The next month I did nothing but give out the letters. I visited high schools, kindergartens, I went to various apartments where I slid the letters underneath the doors. I hoped everyone believed and everyone had the curiosity to look up their mother. Let me tell you, the fact that Eliza got their names, helped me a great deal. I made a friend at a post office who kindly helped me, but who now I owed a cup of coffee for the rest of his life. But it was worth it. I helped Eliza like she had helped me survive in that prison, protected me and advised me never to do something as stupid ever again. I agreed.

I was astounded to discover that I only had one letter left. I looked at the front of the envelope, carefully making out the sloppy handwriting.

Ryder Denvers.

I dropped the letter in amazement. I picked it up and probably read it thirty more times, just to make sure I wasn’t making things up or imagining crazy stuff. But no matter. It said that. I felt bad for Ryder that he never met his mom. She was an amazing woman, who made a few mistakes but had a heavenly soul. I knew what I had to do. I had to go back to Iris.

I put on a dark green shirt, black jeans, a dark blue leopard print cardigan and black shoes. I grabbed the beat up bag that I used to carry my letters in, and made my way out, drawing a breath in. I walked slowly on the well known road, trying my best to calm my nerves and trying to think of a way to get into Iris without someone seeing me and stopping me. It was the last and most important letter. I also knew that if I gave it to Edith or someone else they would quickly disregard it as being a cruel joke.

As soon as I got there, I climbed up the gates, and got into the house through the back door. However, luck was not on my side that day and I ran into Edith of all people. She stopped in her place and her hands fell limp by her sides. She still looked angry at me, and as much as I cared, I couldn’t be bothered by it at that time, because I was extremely close to finishing my mission.

“What are you doing here? Get out!” She shrilled and I shook my head. I took a step in, but she quickly ran in front of me, blocking my way.

“Edith, let me in. I have something important for Ryder.” I said and she pushed me slightly, making it clear that she did not want me anywhere near the house. Much less in it. “Edith..” I warned her, and she stood her ground. “I’m sorry.” I said and pushed her gently, squeezing in and running up the stairs. I stopped for a few seconds, thinking of where Ryder could be. I decided to check his room first, and I ran up the stairs, remembering which door led to his room, and opening it hurriedly. I could hear Edith screaming for the guards.

As soon as I entered the room, I couldn’t see anything. It was pitch black, yet I could make out a form laying in the bed.

“Who is it?” Ryder asked bored and I took a step forward.

“Ryder?” I asked shyly. “It’s me, Olive.” I said and he jumped up. I was glad I couldn’t see him, or the vicious glare he was probably throwing me. “Look, I came to give you a letter.”
“I don’t need your letter.” He bit and I frowned, glad that he couldn’t see me now.

“It’s not from me.” I gently said. “It’s from your mother. I knew her and she asked me to give this to you. You can either believe me, and read the letter or throw out the letter, and choose distrust. But know this, if you chose the latter, you’ll regret it. Here, it’s on your desk.” I said and set it where I said I did.

“Guards!” Ryder yelled and people entered the room not even a few minutes later, yanking me out of the room and throwing me out of Iris. By that time, I got hurt so many times, this scar from Ryder, was nothing.

I hope you read it.