Glitter in the air

Run

Meanwhile, unknown to me, Ryder paced around the room, trying to think of what to do. He felt bad that he had thrown out Olive the way he did, after all, the publicity she gave him when she admitted her deed, prompted Takashi Daisuke to rethink his decision and became his partner. But, on the other hand, none of this would have happened if he stayed at office, as he planned. He didn’t know what took over him, but he suddenly felt the need to be home.

He looked at the letter again.

Oh what the hell.

He opened it, and two pieces of paper fell out of it. He picked up both pieces and looked at one, and came to realize it was a maternity test. After calling various people over to look at it, they said it was genuine. He had a name, and nothing else. But what Ryder didn’t know, is that none of the other kids had that luxury. He was the only one who had a name.

“Dear Ryder,

I’m not going to waste what’s left of my time thinking up excuses and then writing them on this piece of paper. I have to respect you and I want to thank you for opening this letter and reading it. I know you probably have a lot of questions for me, and I’m sorry, but I can’t answer them. I lived on this Earth and I’ve done some pretty horrible things, but the most evil was leaving my kids in the hands of strangers. If you had known me, you would have understood that was the wisest choice I had made in my entire life. It was also the most painful one. I’m sorry for leaving you on your own, but you turned out to be a pretty amazing kid, right?
I remember the night I gave you up. There was this rich couple who couldn’t conceive and begged me to give you to them. I agreed and they paid me. I took the money, as horrible as that sounds, and.. well you can figure out the rest. You shouldn’t regret not meeting me. God did you a favor. I just wanted to say I love you, and I’m proud of the man you have become.
Also, know that none of this would have been possible without Olive. Son, that girl loves you. She never says it, she never whispers it in her sleep, but you can see it in her eyes, and the way she lights up when she hears your name. I consider her punishment to be done, and you should too. She helped me give this letter to you, even though she had no obligation to do so.
Forgive her. We all do stupid things. We’re all human, right, Ryder?

Love,
Mom”

He set the letter on his bed, feeling a headache coming on. Olive loved him? But how? When he treated her like nothing? When she made her suffer and turned the whole country against her? He was sure she’d never get a job.

Fuck logic.