Glitter in the air

Feel

I carried my bags down the stairwell, almost breaking my neck a few times. I looked down and Bill was down, eating toast and reading the newspaper. I got up, opened the fridge and ate a honey sandwich. Bill looked up and nodded his head. He got up to get ready and I waited patiently, reading the announcement pages of the newspaper.

Needed: Bank manager with experience.

Okay, I suck at numbers. Next!

Needed: Journalist for local newspaper, covering the entertainment section.

I think you have to have some kind of diploma for that. Next.

Needed: Health teacher, fit for high school environment.

Sex talk all day with horny teenagers? No thanks.

Needed: Cashier for local supermarket, college required.

Great. This is going well.

Needed: Maid for cleaning a mansion. No higher level of school required. Background checks necessary. Interview required.

Background checks? Um, okay. I’ll handle the interview. Well, this is it.

I dialed the number shown down, and an old lady picked up. Or a young lady with too much smoking going on. I prepared myself mentally for what I should say, and I heard her speak.

“Iris residence.” I heard her professional voice answer in a very confident manner. I coughed.

“Yes, hello. I read the announcement you posted in – um – News Daily and I’d like to apply for it, if that’s possible.” I announced in a clean, half confident voice.

“Oh, but of course! What’s your name, honey?” She asked in a slight Irish accent. I smiled a bit. I liked this lady already.

“Olive. Olive Black. If you don’t mind. Could you tell me where this mansion is?” I asked and I waited patiently for her answer.

“It’s in a more private part of the city. It’s in Tower Hills.” She said in a serious voice and I nodded my head. I then slapped my forehead, reminding myself that she couldn’t see that.

“Oh, okay. Well, what time should I be there?”

“Tomorrow at eight o’clock sharp.” She replied in a nice tone. I told her I would be there, and then I hanged up the phone, telling her goodbye and waiting for her to reply. I had a nervous feeling towards this job.

I hope I won’t be doing this for the rest of my life.

Bill came down and grabbed two of my suitcases. I grabbed the other two and we got up in his car. He started the radio and didn’t try to make small talk. He and I both knew he was happy, and I was too. We never were the kind of family where we’re tighter than possible. No. We always left extra room.

ImageImageImage

“Where’s the apartment?” Bill’s voice broke the silence. I looked at him through the mirror and his eyes alternated between looking at me and the road.

“It’s above the Tea House shop.” I replied in a small voice and he nodded his head. I knew what was going on through his head: it was a crappy place for apartments. I knew he’d tell Lena and she’d call me in less than five minutes from my arrival yelling at me at how she could have gotten a better deal.

“Well, we're here.” Bill replied and got out of his car. He got my bags out and I got out of the car, grabbing the remaining two. He walked with fright because he saw a lot of people. He wasn’t a crowd person. And these people didn’t look great in his eyes either. Anyone who didn’t have a white tie and an Armani business suit wasn’t worth his time.

I sighed annoyed at his ignorance and we waited for the elevator. It screeched and the inside of it had graffiti and the doors didn’t close right. He anxiously got in, and I did too after him. I pressed the three button, and we waited for it to arrive there. It hit the walls a few times, and dust floated into the elevator, making Bill cough.

I got my key out and kicked the door open. The apartment only had three rooms. Bathroom, kitchen and one bedroom/living room. Bill started to get frightened and he dropped my bags in front of the apartment.

“I’ve got to –uh - go. Bye Olive.” He said and ran down the stairs. I chuckled at his fright but soon stopped. I was kinda scared too.

“Bye, Bill.” I whispered and carried the heavy bags in the room. There was a small TV, and I opened it, watching the local news for a bit before arranging all of my clothes into the small drawers. After I did that, I got up and grabbed some yogurt from the food bag.

It didn’t go bad. Yes!

I ate it fast and after that I flopped on the bed. I got out my cellphone and set the alarm for six o’clock. I had to walk for an hour if I wanted to get to Iris in time. I sighed and fell asleep, right then and there.
♠ ♠ ♠
"When somethings broke, I wanna put a bit of fixing on it."
- Pearl Jam

Guys, I seriously can't tell you how glad I am they're back. Yesh.