Glitter in the air

Cry

“Yes. At such a young age, he’s expected to do the best he can. His parents are on the board, surveying his every move. They think business first, family second. So, Master was deprived of all the notions family stands by. He was trained all his life for this, and he always works. He doesn’t have friends just because of that. But he sure has work people and CEO’s breathing down his neck.”

“Poor him. What’s his name anyway?”

“His name is Ryder Denvers. And before you can ask, this mansion was bought by him, with the money he saved. His parents brought us here to take care of him and make sure he works. At first you think he’s mean, but he’s stressed from work. He tried having girlfriends but they stuck on him for attention or money, so he put work first.” Edith finished, sighing sadly. I could feel the corners of my mouth coming down as well.

“You been here a long time?”

“I’ve known him since he was a baby.” Edith beamed proudly. “His parents were gone a lot, so I was his playing buddy.”

“Oh.” With that, I felt my thoughts engulf me entirely.

Poor guy. I know all about choosing favorites, though.

“Come on, now. You must deliver Master his breakfast.” Edith said and I nodded my head.

I’ll be your friend, Ryder Denvers. I will.

ImageImageImage

“You start from the fourth floor down. Don’t worry. You’ll only have to clean the offices and bedrooms today.” Edith said smiling at me and I nodded my head. She gave me the tool of my trade and I climbed up the flight of stairs until I reached the fourth floor.

I looked at the long hall fearfully. Of course, there would be an insane amount of work to do, but the silence of it all freaked me out the most. Each step I took echoed into distance and I found myself walking like ballerinas do. I looked at the marble floor and the paintings hanging on the walls, along with some statues hanging on small expensive tables.

Among the paintings, there were some of Ryder’s portraits, showing his growth. From being a toddler, until he was 5 or 6, the next one at 10 or 11, after that 16, 18 and the last one at 24.

Wow. He was one funky looking kid.

I giggled and shyly opened one room. It had papers everywhere and one computer that was still open. The papers were carelessly scattered everywhere, the seat was thrown back and glasses sat on the desk. Everything was slightly dusty and I widened my eyes. I never was this messy. I sighed and picked up the papers. I couldn’t help but look at what they were about: numbers. Big numbers put on some kind of paper.

“This certainly would have been my nightmare. Numbers sch-numbers.” I frowned and decided to just clean the place up a bit; not bothering with the papers hanging there. I wouldn’t like to be the reason why some account will be messed up.

I looked at the room and noticed it was beautifully decorated. Wooden small statues hanging everywhere in the room, a big bookcase in the back filled with excellent books. I read the titles and the books looked dated, but in good hands. I dusted everything off, and cleaned the windows and the computer screen.

I heard steps coming closer and closer and I jumped up and prepared myself for whoever was coming. I put the tools back into their bags and I turned around to inspect the room one last time. Everything looked freshly cleaned.

Job done.

“Oh, my! Olive, you’re not allowed in here yet!” I heard a voice shout and I rapidly turned around.

Just Edith. Phew.

“Why? You said to clean the fourth floor and down.” I said, letting out a breath. She nodded her head and drew me out of the room.

“Yes, Olive. But not in Master’s office. That will be your assignment next week. You’re only allowed in the hallways, bathrooms and bedrooms.” Edith reminded me patiently and I bit my lip.

“I’m sorry. I’ll just go.” I said and continued to bite on my lower lip until it felt bigger then before. I then chewed on my lip and Edith closed the door of the office and started walking to wherever she came from.

“Take care, Olive!” She yelled and went down the stairs. I sighed and kept on letting myself be embraced in the magic of this outrageously beautiful mansion.

“Care.. Right..” I whispered to myself and did my job, as required.
♠ ♠ ♠
"Don't know what you had in mind, but I'm sure it wasn't this."
-Jessie James

intense song. Love her voice.