One Hundred Little Things

Stars in Her Eyes

Pete's POV
_____________

On our way out, Katie grabbed the bottle of wine and took a huge sip.

"We'll be back soon," she gasped making her way onto the beach.

I watched her slide off her flip-flops and toss them behind her head.

"You're drunk," I said, smothering a laugh.

"You'd like that, wouldn't you?" she smiled in return.

She plopped herself down on the shoreline, just so the ocean waves lapped at her feet.

"So what did you want to talk about?" she examined.

"I never said that. I only wanted to go for a walk," I said, hoping the night blanked my face so she could see me blush.

"Whatever," she said with a giggle and a shrug.

Laying down in the sand, she inhaled deeply. Closing her eyes, only to open them again and gaze at the stars. I couldn't ignore temptation and quickly joined her on the cool beach.

"You know, I grew up near one of the best beaches in the world. Siesta Key, the high concentration of quartz in the sand made it feel like walking on powder sugar, and the water was so inviting, and yet, I never really went there," she whispered.

"Mhm," I breathed, not being able to choose between staring at the see of diamonds over head or the ones in her eyes.

"You aren't even listening are you," she accused with a laugh.

"Mhm," I said again, making my decision to just gaze at the breathtaking creature before me.

She playfully elbowed me and just shut her eyes again in a reminiscent and sorrowful manner.

"Will you marry me?" I joked.

"Shut up," she grumbled.

"Why not? Here we are, in Italy, on the beach beneath the stars, quite romantic if you ask me?" I reasoned.

"And I've known you for like two days, and this is all one elaborate joke, and someday you'll be some damsel's prince charming and I'm pretty sure it won't be me," she replied.

"But I'm sure the parents would love me," I teased.

"No they wouldn't," the mumbled.

"Of course they would. Why wouldn't they?" I questioned.

"Because they're dead," she whispered.

"Oh, I am so sorry," I said.

Talk about putting your foot in your mouth.

"Yeah, my mom died when I was seventeen, and I haven't seen, or talked to my little sister since I ran away because I just couldn't move to Kansas to live with my dad, and I just recently found out my dad died two summers ago. Both of my parents died from cancer, actually, most of my family has," She said with an eerie half laugh.

"That sucks," I muttered not knowing what else to say.

"You know sometimes I wonder about my sister, why she left to stay with him, but I was just lucky to have Kelsey. Hey did Patrick finally get the guts to ask her out?" she asked.

"Yeah he did, he's really excited the she said yes," I giggled.

"Good, I don't want her to be alone," she whispered as a quiet smile crossed her soft, thick lips.

"Why would she be alone? She has you," I interrogated.

Her eyes became glossy and she bit down hard on her lip, fighting back tears.

"We'd better head back," she assumed.

Confused, I nodded and we slowly and silently trudged back to the room.