One Hundred Little Things

The Death Of A Beautiful Rose

Pete's POV
_____________

I sulked down the stairs and towards the blinding, flashing lights emitted from the camera Patrick held in his hands. Paolo stood lost between two gorgeous girls. Patrick handed the camera back to Kelsey and the two stepped back. Katie frowned a bit at Paolo's sullen expression and gently kissed his cheek. He blushed, smiled sheepishly, and nudged her playfully. He slipped away and grabbed seven wine glasses and filled them to the brim.

"A toast!" Paolo bellowed, waving his glass in the air.

"To good friends," Katie added as she held her glass out in my direction.

"And maybe something more," I smirked, clinking glasses.

Kelsey managed to snap a picture.

"Aw, cute picture! I'll drink to that," Kelsey giggled and leaned against Patrick as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

Katie rolled her eyes and quickly shot back the contents of her glass. She strolled over to Paolo and discreetly whispered something in his ear. With a smile and an approving nod, she slipped silently outside. Attempting not to make look as though I had followed, I hastily went after her. As I faltered through the, I was beginning to think that finding her was hopeless, when I suddenly stumbled over her small frame and rolled on top of her. After struggling to push me off, we just laid side by side, letting the tall grass swallow us and envelop us into a world of our own. At least, that's how it felt to me.

"See the roses," she whispered.

"Hmm…" I moaned, not wanting the beautiful silence to end just yet.

"The rose bushes, in front of every row every grapes." She repeated.

I looked passed her at the single row of pearly white roses, lit up by the full moons glow.

"Yeah, what about 'em?" I asked.

"They're so beautiful, but they're all there as a sacrifice. When they bloom, if the flowers look sickly, the vineyard owners using extra care with they're grapes, so if you think about it, at least they're dying for a cause. But what happens when they can't save the wine and it goes bad anyway? Did they die for nothing? Was it worth their lives? Did they still die for a cause!?" at this point she was yelling, tears welling in her eyes. Something was wrong, very wrong.

"Stop it! You're scaring me! What is so wrong? Why do you two keep running around doing all this random shit? Why won't you let anyone get close to you? Why are you so untouchable?!" my voice shook violent despite my attempts to keep it steady, my shouts piercing the night like a knife.

A single tear escaped her eyes and raced silently down her cheek. Pulling her self up and joining me at my side, she spoke two words in a whisper, almost an eerie laugh.

"I'm dying."