One Hundred Little Things

Different Circumstances

Katie's POV
_____________

"That's not funny! Don't ever say that!" he yelled.

"Do I look like I'm laughing?" I retorted.

Nothing.

I breathed in deeply.

"When Kelsey and I met in middle school, we were automatically best friends. I don't think we've ever fought a day in out lives. One night on her boat, I don't remember which night, there was so many, we were talking about… well about death… and life and how there was so much to do in so little time, so we made a list. A list of one hundred things to do before we died. One hundred little things. After high school, we did our best to keep to keep in touch, but it was hard. The sad part is we went to college in the same state. We were luck if we talked to each other every two months. "I found out I had cancer five months, two weeks and three days ago. But who's counting? Almost as soon as I left the doctors office, I showed up at Kelsey's dorm room. It's funny; I don't remember crying at all. Well next thing I knew, she was diving in and out of boxes and she found it, the list, the original copy. Before, I could think twice we were going around the world, just like we had planned, only on different circumstances," I explained.

More nothing.

"Well can't you go through-"

"Don't finish that sentence," I barked, "Especially if it ends in chemo therapy. I've watched almost my entire family suffer through chemo on top of cancer. You can't do anything but sit there and watch them become weak, fragile, their hair fall out, it's more painful that you can ever imagine It's horrible and you know what? The cancer always comes back, and it always kills."

I blinked back tears and shivered. Jeans and a t-shirt were not the best attire for braving cold January nights in Italy and my Florida blood just couldn't that and all the excitement.
My teeth chattered and all I could do was sit there, my warm breath turning to fog as it escaped my lips and my arms uselessly rubbing each other for warmth, my eyes still closed. I just couldn't live with myself if he saw me cry. I suddenly felt the warmth of Pete's arms around me, pulling me into a hug, then back down in to the coal grass. I rested my head on his shoulder and began shaking uncontrollably. Not because I was cold, but because I was scared. Was I really ready to leave all my friends? To die? The shaking worsened and tear blurred my vision, I bit down hard on my lip but that only caused a cut which worsened the tears. Pete rubbed my shoulders soothingly.

"It's alright, I'm here," he cooed.

I nodded and wrapped my arms around his waist. My eyelids growing heavier, he gently kissed my forehead. I relaxed a bit and stared up at the huge moon in a see a stars overhead as I began to drift to sleep.