One Hundred Little Things

Holding Hands

Kelsey's POV
_____________

After almost an hour, there was still no sign of Pete or Katie and I began to worry. I was a big worrier. Now more than ever, I always had been. I'd be joking around with Katie when we were kids, bringing up crazy ideas all the time, before I knew it she'd be seriously considering pulling some crazy stunt and I'd be the one pointing out everything that could possibly go wrong. It was always like that, without Katie I would more than likely be stuck in some dark corner living in fear of everything that moved and even some things that didn't. I couldn't fathom what life would be like when she… I shuddered. It was easier not to think too far ahead.

We were all ready to go and decided to go look for the two missing persons. Everyone grabbed a flashlight and blindly searched through the dark. Patrick and I teamed up and walked arm and arm on a mission. I didn't say much, I was once again thinking of the worst possible situation, murdered, kidnapped, rolled down a hill and broke their necks… The light beam emitted from my flash light abruptly skimmed the surface of and unidentified figure lying in the grass. I kept my light steady on the foreign object and slowly walked towards with Patrick at my side. I heard Patrick chortle hardily in the dark as my eyes focused on what lie before me. Katie and Pete were laying in an entangled, huddled mass in the cold grass, nearly on top of each other. Katie was balled up inside Pete's jacket, her lips turning blue and her skin becoming paler and slightly transparent as she shook in the freezing night air. I bent over and shined the light directly on Katie's face. She opened her eyes and blinked hard as she looked around.

"This can't look good," she said, barely forming words. A frozen laugh escaped her body and turned to an icy fog before my eyes.

"Let's get you inside before you die of hypothermia," Patrick exclaimed, kicking Pete awake and slowly helping Katie up. I loved this kid so much. He just seemed to care about everything. He was so carefree, almost like a little kid. Pete slowly began to stir and looked at the freezing girl pressed against him for warmth, reluctant to move.

"Nothing happened," he interjected.

"Yeah, but you wish it did," Katie shivered. Even if she was freezing to death, she still had a way of injecting sarcasm and funny little quips to everything. Patrick knocked Pete jokingly on the back of the head.

"You trying to kill this poor girl!?" Patrick accused. Pete looked at Katie.

"Shit, sorry we fell asleep, here take my jacket," he offered. Katie shook her head in refusal.

"I'm fine," she complained. She looked away. I thought about it and realized, she couldn't really look him in the face. It hit me, she had told him everything.

"Take the nice man's jacket and head back to the house, me and Patty-cakes will tell the others we found you," I whispered. Katie hesitantly took the jacket and did she as she was told for once, but always a few paces ahead of Pete. I sighed and headed out to look for the others.

Moments later, we met back at the car. What color Katie had started with returned to her face and the two squished in the back with Andy and Joe. I sat in the front with Patrick. He drove of course, and he held my hand with his free hand. I sighed and gave his hand and extra a squeeze. Soon he would discover the tragic little secret of Katie and me, and things would get really awkward.