One Hundred Little Things

Hopless

Kelsey's POV
_____________

As we pulled up to the Casa De Rosaria, the entire backseat was jolted awake. I suddenly dropped Patrick's hand and wiped the moist sweat that laced my palms off on my jeans, but it was too late, Katie had seen enough. She smirked widely; I knew something was coming from the spark in her eyes.

"OoOoO! Kelsey's gotta boyfriend! Kissy, Kissy, but if you could please GET A ROOM!" she teased. The whole car erupted in laughter and began to make kissy faces at us and started smacking their lips. I watched Patrick grip the wheel tighter, his knuckles turning white as his cheeks changed to a bright red. I myself felt heat gushing into my face a it slowly turned to as rosy pink.

"Fine! We'll get a room, and then the car can veer off the road and you all can crash and burn in the back! Besides Katie, like you have room to talk! Do my eyes deceive me or were you two getting pretty cozy back there," I fired back, referring to just moments ago when she and Pete were passed out once again practically on top of each other, neither one of them particularly dreading the fact. Katie turned and exchanged a flirtatious glance with Pete and sighed.

"Well, I guess I can hide my love no longer," she breathed. I looked back at her, slightly confused, and then I saw it, the spark. Just then she hopped out of her seat and straddled Joe. She looked him straight in the eye and planted a long, deep kiss right on his lips. She sat on his lap and pulled his arms around her waist. Andy laughed hysterically, flinging his head against the door of the car. Joe just sat there in awe, while Pete forced a smile. Patrick and I were laughing so hard we nearly hit a tree. Katie just casually wriggled in Joe's now firm hold.

"Glad that's out in the open," she said, smoothing her jeans.

"You're insane," Joe complained, rolling his eyes.

"You know it, babe," Katie teased. She leaned in closely so her face was nearly pressed against his. Joe pulled backed sharply, suddenly finding himself pinned against the upholstered car seat. Katie giggled and took her place in between Pete and Joe as we pulled in to the parking garage.

We wound up in the guys room and chatted for a little while. I sat nervously next to Patrick. I guess we were sorta going out. Well, he asked me, we just hadn't gotten around to it. This just made things more awkward. I didn't know whether to sit on his lap or across the room. I just never knew how to act around the opposite sex just shy. Whenever Katie and I would go out to bars (on those rare occasions where she'd manage to drag me there and flirt with the bouncer until he let us in) we'd sit there and Katie would get hit on by some drunken bastard. Sometimes she'd ignore them, and sometimes she's mess with their heads and try to get their hopes up only to crush them later, but know matter what she would always attempt to find me a nice, cute quiet guy, and I would always leave abruptly without saying two words to the guy. Patrick was different though, I really liked him a lot.

Soon, it was late and time to head in. Katie hugged everyone good night and I did the same. Katie managed to smoothly avoid Pete's gaze the entire night. Finally it was my turn to say good night to Patrick. Shit! I took a deep breath and took a step closer to him. I did nothing, just stared at the ground hoping my face wasn't as red as it felt. Katie nonchalantly walked behind me and gave me a gentle push into his arms.

"Go get 'em tiger," she whispered so low only I could hear her. I smiled.

"Well, I guess this is good night," I muttered. He nodded, shifting his weight.

"Kiss her already!" Pete yelled from the side lines. Finally, something smart out of his mouth.

"What!? I don't know… Um... I-uh…" he tripped over every word.

"Make you move," Katie whispered again. Only this time it didn't sound like her. It sounded like… me. I was telling myself to do something outrageous.

Before I could think any harder I grabbed him by his collar and pulled him in to a romantic kiss. A chorus of oooooo's exploded around me, but for once, I didn't care.

"See you in the morning," I smiled, tugging down on his trucker hat. He straightened himself out and nodded again. I slowly sauntered out the door and back to our room as Katie followed in awe. We finally got back to the room and Katie high fived me. We laughed and joked about what had just happened and I could feel myself shaking with excitement. The energy and thrill slowly died and we hit the sack and turned out the light. It was so quiet I could hear the waves crashing on shore. I decided to let my mind wander though at times that could be dangerous.

"So how did he take it?" I remembered the incident in the vineyard.

"How did who take-" she froze.

"How did you know?" she whispered.

"We both know that we know each other better than we know ourselves," I laughed.

"Okay I guess. I don't know. I just, I don't want things to be awkward, and I need him to understand that no one can get too attached because… well… you know," she huffed.

"And you don't want to get too attached to anyone either," I said.

Silence.

I knew she wasn't asleep, she was breathing heavily and I could almost feel her hear beat. I should've kept my mouth shut. Life was hard enough without me bringing up life's issues, but it was true. That's the way it had to be if she was going to leave. I shut my eyes tightly and listened ever so closely, not for the waves, but for any trace of noise from the room next door. I just had to know what he was telling them (if anything). I gave up, it was hopeless, this was hopeless. What nothing I had with Patrick was a hopeless whatever it was and it was about to become even more of a hopeless nothing even though I hoped it wouldn't, I prayed it wouldn't.