One Hundred Little Things

Don't Ever Tell Me You Love Me

Pete's POV
_____________

I sat on the beach, waiting for anything. Kelsey's words rang like church bells ion my ears as the cool ocean water lapped at my toes. I sighed and recalled the night's previous events.

Almost as soon as the door slammed shut I jumped up to go after Katie.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," Kelsey warned, "Many have tried, but none have succeeded. You're crazy if you think chasing after her will make things better."

"And why is that?" I hissed angrily.

"Because, if there is any hope of Katie changing her mind, you have to let her simmer. Trying to talk to her only makes things worse, and even if you do leave her alone, if her mind is made up, there is no changing it. Talk to her all you want, all you'll do is make things worse," she continued.

"How do you know that talking to her won't help," I shouted.

"One, I've known her forever, it has never worked, and two, if it worked my best friend wouldn't letting cancer take her life," she retorted darkly. With that, I headed out the door to the only place where I could think she would be, the beach, and here I was with no sign of her.

I sat quietly and thought to myself. I had known Katie for… what… four days? She was one of the most more so the most difficult and complicated girls I had ever gone for, yet here I was, returning yet again for more rejection. I sighed. I was defeated, done, giving up, whatever you call it I just felt as though it was all too much. However, I suddenly found myself laughing softly, like that would ever happen. Why I kept coming back was beyond me, all I knew was that I wasn't about to quit.

Just then, a flip-flop came flying from the sky and hit me in the back of the head. I looked around but all I saw was a tall blue lifeguard stand behind me. I examined the shoe closer and noticed it was a size eight and a half, top portion bent slightly inward from walking at a slant, and it also has a slight heel to it. A smiled curved my lips as a got a closer look at the old wooden structure that stood behind me. A streak of bright blonde hair hung from the roof reflected in the moonlight. I climbed the steps but couldn't quite manage to get on the roof.

"Hey," I whispered.

"Damn shoe," she growled in return.

"You're not really going home, are you?" I interrogated as I struggled to join her on the rooftop.

"That's what I said," she sighed as she chewed on a hangnail and completely ignored my frustration.

"Please go on your trip. Look, I won't even go with you guys, but I think it's important for you to go. Don't miss out on my account," I stated.

"You think you're really that special," she hissed. I had managed to pull my chin up to the ledge and was clinging on for dear life.

"I'm not stupid. I know you like me," I huffed. She raised her eyebrows and looked at me, almost to say "psh, as if." "Well, at least deep down," I stressed. I got the same look. "A little." She turned away but said nothing. "Um, some help?" I begged, still clinging to the roof. She hesitated, but then helped pull me up. I didn't bother asking how the hell she got up there in the first place. "Look, I just want you to be happy, whatever that means. If you find some one that makes you happy, I'll feel better just knowing that much. But your happiness is all that really matters to me right now." I said. She just sat cross-legged, unblinkingly staring out across the ocean. "Don't just sit there, say something," I begged.

"Okay," she whispered.

"Okay?" I questioned, slightly confused. A small smile graced her face. She slowly leaned in, eyes shimmering that gorgeous bright blue, and just like that, I felt immersed in another passionate kiss. She nuzzled her face into neck, her hot breath sending chills down my spine.

"Okay," she repeated. Nothing could keep me from grinning as we walked back to the hotel room, hand in hand.
---

We entered the hotel room to find Kelsey and Patrick in a plastic sword fight. The door came to a loud close and the two froze and looked up at us.

"Where did you guys get plastic'" I stopped. I had learned not to ask questions. Kelsey edged slightly closer to me.

"Okay?" she asked in a hushed tone.

"Okay!" I beamed, unable to hide the huge smile still present on my face.

"Okay?" she repeated, turning to Katie in a confused manner.

"Okay," Katie replied. Katie squeezed my hand and rested her head on my shoulder as I pulled her closer to me by the waist.

"Okay!" Kelsey squealed. She brought Katie and into a frantic, spazzy, jumping hug, unaware that she was the only one freaking out. "I hoped this would happen, no… I KNEW IT!" she declared. We both laughed as we flopped down on the two beds, still pushed together.

The six of us talked the whole trip over and despite our attempts; Andy and Joe decided to head home. They said that they felt like a third wheel now that Katie and I were… whatever we were (dating I think) and Kelsey and Patrick were dating. Let's face it, two girls don't exactly divide evenly among four guys. However the two insisted it would be alright for us to go without them. They said they wanted to help Dirty promote some demos anyway. We all decided to sleep on the one giant bed in a giant heap for our last night together, and the whole thing was dreadfully adorable. Andy and Joe lest terribly early for Wilmette the next morning, but our flight into Tokyo didn't leave until late afternoon, so after dropping the two off, the remaining four of us decided to sleep in. Still in a pile of sleeping bodies, I began to detect a slight disturbance in the sea of people. Assuming it was just some one getting up to use the bathroom, I ignored it and attempted to get some more rest. However, the rustling continued through out the room. By the time I had gathered the energy to open my eyes and my vision had cleared Katie and Kelsey were half way out the door.

"Where are you two going," I yawned. Katie put a finger to her lips and pointed to Patrick, who was still curled up fast asleep. My head plopped back down on the pillow as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. Katie walked over to me and leaned in close to me.

"Number eight-four, be back soon, mkay hun?" she whispered. She kissed my cheek and started off. At first, I was confused, but then I remembered the list. I quickly jumped up and flung my arms around her neck.

"No! Don't go," I whined. She chuckled softly.

"Stop that, you're acting like a little kid. Now I'll be back in fifteen minutes," she said, trying to sound serious.

"But I wanna come too," I pouted. Patrick had begun to stir and Katie rolled her eyes.

"Alright, hurry up and get dressed," she sighed, "We don't have much time."

I hurriedly threw on some clothes and instructed Patrick to do the same, though he still hadn't a clue as to what was happening. We rushed out the door and hopped in the car. Kelsey and "Patty-cakes" sat in the back with me in the passenger seat as Katie drove. Kelsey giggled happily and poked Patrick's "tummy" every time we turned or hit a speed bump, or anytime for that matter. I grinned and turned to Katie as she drove with a smirk on her face and a fire in her eyes; I loved it. I slowly moved my hand to her knee and let it rest there, and for once, that's where she let it stay.

""Where are we going?" I smiled.

"Well, perhaps you should've asked that before you begged to come along," she stated. I turned to gaze at the scenery that passed my window. That was her way of saying it was another surprise.

After a good bit of driving, we arrived at our apparent destination. It was an Old Italian style square with a huge, beautiful, rustic fountain in the center, complete with Roman-esque. It was the famous Trevi fountain. Katie parked the car and we followed her to the edge.

"Ready? Kelsey interrogated.

"Always," Katie replied. Patrick and I glanced at each other, still lost. I had no idea what was going on until it was too late.

The two girls had climbed up on the ledge, hand in hand. By the count of three, there was no stopping them. Water splashed everywhere and they became suddenly cradled in shallow water. They came up for air and slowly crawled out, their soaked clothes hanging limply to their thin frames. Tourists gasped in utter shock and disgust, while locals laughed as they looked on to this amusing sight. Patrick snapped a picture and Katie snatched a coin from the bottom.

"You're stealing someone's wish you know," I teased. She scoured her pockets and tossed a penny back over her shoulder.

"That should make up for it," she retorted. I shuffled my feet and stared at the ground. Her blonde hair had turned a light brown with a golden-red shine with the water. Sections of her baggy pants clung to her legs, her shirt swayed lifelessly in the wind as her teeth chattered and her body shivered. I just wanted to hug her, but I considered the fact that it might be really awkward considering the fact that she was all wet. I looked up at her and smiled shyly. Just then, as if she could read my mind, she jumped up, wrapped her legs around my waist, her arms around my shoulders, and kissed me right in the middle of the square. Camera lights flashed. I was in shock.

"Alright, your turn," Katie sang, seizing the camera. Kelsey and Patrick scooted closer and right when Katie said "say cheese" Kelsey got on her toes and kissed Patrick. Patrick's surprise communicated into the picture and it was so cute, it was almost disgusting.

We arrived, back at the Casa de Rosaria, no problem. Almost as soon as we all got in the elevator, Kelsey saw something "neato" and ran out. Patrick chased after her, leaving me and Katie alone. I stood silent, eyes wide as I tugged at the sleeve of my now soaked hoodie.

"Um, hey, question: how did you know…" I began. She turned to me bright-eyed and smiling, but the expression quickly faded as she realized what I meant.

"I figured it out. I was just… watching you I guess, and I noticed a bunch of little thing that you do, the scars of course, but I observe people, it's what I do," she stated, clearing her throat. The elevator doors chugged open and I quickly pressed "door close".

"And it doesn't, I don't know, freak you out? I mean, I've been with some girls, who just can't take it, or don't get it, and well-- the rest is history," I breathed.

"Silly Peter, haven't you realized it yet? I'm not "some girl." Besides, it's stupid that they would do that. I've dealt with this before and you're all better now anyways. Like I said, we all have our problems, some are just better at dealing with them. I couldn't deal with my problems 'properly,' so why should I disown you for not knowing how to handle your's," she said.

"And just how did you deal with your problems?" I asked.

"Another story for another day. I just need you to promise me one thing," she replied.

"Anything," I answered.

"Don't ever do it again. I never ever want you to hurt yourself because… well because it would hurt me to see you go through that. Just… don’t, okay? Promise?" she pleaded. I kissed her cheek as the doors reopened.

"Promise," I said, and for the first time, I meant it. I would do anything for her.

------

When we got back to the hotel room Patrick and Kelsey were already there, and very confused as to how they got back before us. I didn't bother explaining. We all changed quickly and, having packed last night, were ready to head out. Katie slipped her coin in to a large, old wooden jewelry box, and put on a charm belt decorated with tiny ornaments. At the airport gift shop, she even bough another. It was the Trevi Fountain with the words "Viva Italia" surrounding it on a banner in red, white, and green lettering. We soon boarded the plane without hesitation, list in hand.

"What's with the coolio belt thingy?" I asked.

"One charm for every place I've been," she answered. My eyes widened.

"You've been to all those places!?" I exclaimed.

"All fifty states, Canada, Mexico, Peru, Brazil, Puerto Rico, Jamaica and most of the Caribbean, France, England, Germany, Italy, Ireland and… I think that’s it," she replied, nonchalantly.

"That's amazing," I gasped.

"I guess," she shrugged. I almost asked her what was wrong, but then I realized it. It was all under poor conditions. Katie let out a huge yawn. I smiled and pulled her close.

"You tired, sleepy-head?" I sang. She nodded.

"A little," she replied meekly, "but it's usually hard for me to get comfortable on these flights," I pushed the call button and a nice lady came to assist us,

"Can I help you?" she offered. I thought of how terrible it had to be to have a job that required you to constantly smile and be happy.

"Two pillows and one blanket please," I requested. The woman was gone in an instant, but back in a flash with the items I had requested. I politely thanked her and she was gone as quickly as she came. I moved my back so it faced the aisle and leaned against the arm rest and my feet were pushed up under the wall just below the window. Katie curled up in my lap and began to fall asleep.

"Petey?" she whimpered/

"Shhh, go to sleep," I cooed.

"I need you to promise me one more thing," she cried.

"And what would that be?" I asked.

"Don't ever tell me you love me," she whispered.

"Whatever you say, babe," I agreed, thinking of what a strange request it truly was. Usually a girl would get pissed if you didn't say "I love you" every five seconds. Then, I reminded myself of "the conditions," and began to drift off to sleep myself. What seemed like moments later I began to feel the plane jolt. It dipped and rose and a frantic flight attendant rushed up to me.

"Sir, if you two could please buckle your seat belts. We are experiencing some sever turbulence due to some air pockets in the atmosphere." She informed. I looked at Katie, who was still sleeping.

"Just let her sleep, okay? We'll be fine," I urged. She hesitated, but then nodded with a sigh and an unsure smile. The plane shook again and Katie let a groan.

"What's wrong?" she growled. I ran my fingers through her hair.

"Nothing, just some turbulence. You can go back to sleep," I updated. She quickly sat up, buckled her seat belt, and pulled the strap extra tight across her lap.

"Nope, can't! I gotta buckle my seat belt," she stuttered, her eyes filled with terror.

"Hey, what's the matter with you?" I inquired.

"Um, it kinda freaks me out when the plane goes all weird like this," she muttered, blushing slightly. I tilted my head.

"You seemed fine last time," I shrugged.

"That's because Kelsey was right across the aisle, and she is afraid of… well, a lot of stuff. If she saw me get even slightly nervous, she would land this plane into the ocean," she said.

"For some who is trying to 'set her free,' you do an awful lot to protect her," I remarked. She turned to me with narrowed eyes.

"I'm not dead yet," she replied.

The plane dove again and she cringed. I put my arms around her and she seemed to ease up a bit. I knew eventually she would have to take down her brave front. I just didn't know if she knew how fast that time was truly coming.