One Hundred Little Things

Viva La Dolce Vita

Kelsey's POV
_____________

I nervously chewed on a hang nail as we pulled into the parking lot and breathed deeply. I t was all happening so fast. I looked around the car and carefully observed each person. Pete was in his own little world, gazing at Katie who was carefully following the car in front of us. He had no idea how much trouble and excitement she truly was. Even if he could have her, he would have no idea what to do with her. I laughed quietly to myself; I knew Katie liked him too. The both of them would be quite an interesting couple, but she just… couldn't, or at least she wouldn't let herself. Katie was intently watching the road, her eyes intense; I could tell her heart was racing by the fire that burned beneath her eyes. I smiled and reminisced on the days where we sat on the swings of an abandoned play ground. She was always so sentimental. Katie was the only person who understood what I was saying. I remember one day, as the sun was sinking in to the water I told her that I would go insane if she died.

She simply smiled and said, "Because together our insanity makes each other sane."

I never quite understood that, until now that is. Everything was so different now. I looked at Patrick and bit my lip to keep from smiling too much. I swore to God if he didn't buck up and ask me out soon I just would've died. His head was pressed up against the window. His hat pulled over his closed eyes and his lips curved into a slight smile, just taking in the warm sunlight.

"Were stopping," Katie sang attempting to hide the excitement in her voice.

She pulled the keys out of the ignition and jumped out of the car.

"Stopping where," Pete shout.

"Here we are, the tattoo parlor," the stranger grinned.

"You're getting a tattoo," Patrick acknowledged.

"You'll see," Katie beamed.

"Cosa si puo io fare per voi?" a short, stout man, covered in ink asked.

"Un attimo prima," Katie answered.

"He wants to know what we want and I have an idea," she smiled.

I shrugged; I just wanted something small and as painless as possible.

She turned to the man and began to babble on about what she wanted for us.

Turning to Paolo (I think that was his name) she said," Why don't you get one too."

"What to do?" he laughed.

"How about something to match ours," she said playfully bumping into him.

"Whatever you say bella," he nodded.

Two more people came from behind a large deep blue curtain. I sat on the bench as a slender severely pierced and tattooed boy sat on the stool next to me.

"Nope I'm done, number eight will never be completed," I panicked, beginning to leave.

Patrick kneeled next to me and held my hand, gently stroking the back with his thumb. I breathed deeply and shut my eyes tight as the needle buzzed and whined.

*****************

"It's awesome," I said tracing the lines.

Viva la dolce vita, it read, long live the sweet life. Cupcakes, lollipops, and other sugary treats erupted in a colorful explosion around the simple script. Paolo got the exact same thing (minus the girly looking sweets).

"Es magnifico, garzie," Katie said paying the man and walking out the door.

We filed in to the car.

"See you around, Paolo," she thanked.

He waved and smiled and took off. Katie drove with a huge grin on her face.

"Will you do the honors?" she asked handing me a pen.

I scribbled outnumber eight: Get at least two tattoos (or combine them) one to match each other, and another to match a stranger. In away I was sad to see it go, it only meant we were one step closer to the end.