Even the Flowers are Purple

But that's just the way the wind blows

"Forget-me-nots; forget-me-nots are..."

"They're blue," Lyla said softly twirling the stem of a dandelion around her finger absently. The breeze whispered old promises to the oblivious couple. Neither of them spoke for awhile and the only thing that seemed real to either was the clear blue sky, the glistening green grass, and the stem of the wilting dandelion.

Alex sighed and leaned his back against the healthy cypress that grew straight towards the bright blue dome. His gaze finally travelled down from the sky to Lyla's eyes. Her far-off expression alerted him that she was not with him anymore, at least not in mind and he sighed once more. He knew that he was in love with her but the fact was she did not feel the same way about him. Sometimes Alex wished that she would just say it and stop lying to him, to herself but he knew he would be devastated if she did.

Finally after what seemed like a millennia she spoke. Her voice though still distant was carried to him on a passing breeze. "I was thinking of the Michaelmas daisy actually. Those are so pretty...sweet."

"Those are alright," Alex said with very little interest. He began to pull at the long blades of grass surrounding him preventing them from bowing down to the whispering wind.

"You really think so?" Lyla asked suddenly lifting herself into sitting position. She dropped the damaged dandelion onto the gingham picnic blanket and smiled. "Do you think they'll like them?"

Alex thought for a moment and looked up into the sky thinking. The leaves' shadows danced across his face as they danced in the wind. "I think they would and I know I would," he answered honestly.

Lyla stood up and her white summer dress fluttered around her as turned and began to walk away. "It's settled then, I'll be right back."

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to gather a bouquet for my mom," Lyla called over her shoulder.

Alex watched her retreating figure until she disappeared from view then he looked about him for some form of entertainment that didn't involve ripping out the living blades from the only home they knew. It was then that he spotted it. It was a small purple flower standing out majestically against the backdrop of green. The daisy was a princess surrounded by her adoring subjects; a princess so wrapped up in its loss that it barely noticed the love coming from all sides.

Without hesitating another moment Alex reached into his pocket, pulled out a pen and paper and scribbled a note for her. He hadn't been willing to sacrifice his love though he knew that it was what he had to do. He stood and walked carefully to the flower then plucked it from the ground gingerly. He had to admit that it was a pretty flower and rather sweet.

After he arranged everything he began to walk away from the make-shift picnic and the strong cypress tree. He glanced back over his shoulder and saw a dove flying into the forest at the edge of the meadow. It was then that he knew he was doing the right thing; with a sad smile he walked began walking again and this time did not stop until he was home.
♠ ♠ ♠
To understand a bit more keep in mind what the flowers, trees, and colors symbolize. It might help if you don't get it already.
Hope you liked it.