Status: Active

Breathe Easy the Doctors Are About to Arrive

chapter 11

Image

We walked silently for a while, I only heard the sounds of our shoes scuffling against the not-so-perfect concrete. The sky was pink and orange and also had different shades of red. I smiled to myself at the feeling of it all. I glanced at Max out of the corner of my eye, still with the smile on my face. He was staring at me and chewing on one of his lip rings. I looked down and blushed under his stare and he coughed awkwardly. I laughed at him and I kicked a can that was in my way of walking. It hit the side of his foot and he kicked it back at me. Before I knew it, it all turned into a can-kicking, laughing, yelling, and wrestling fiasco.

"Holy shit!" I squealed as I laughed and landed on a grassy covered hill side on the side of the road. I felt the heaviness of Max's body fall on top of me. "BLEH," I huffed as his stomach pressed against mine.

"Shit, sorry," he laughed as he rolled off of me. I didn't let him roll away, though. I gripped his shoulders and rolled with him so that I ended up on top of him. His hair was all over his face and there was grass all over his arms. I brushed the grass off and tucked my hair behind my ears. Max stared up at the sky for a second and looked around before he wrapped his arms around my form and pulled me closer to him. I gave up trying to hold myself up to look at him and I just plopped against his chest. My cheek rested against him and it was dangerously comfortable. I felt his flustered heart beat through my cheek and I laughed at it.

"That's the best work-out you've gotten in a while, huh?" I asked, resting my hand on his chest as well.

"Yeah," he chuckled, shaking his head to get the hair out of his face. I raised up a little bit and helped him brush it away. "Gee, thanks," he smirked. I just smiled and enjoyed the moment. I closed my eyes and right when I realized I was falling asleep I heard his voice booming in my ear like loud, but enjoyable music. A chilly breeze flew passed my face and it made me shiver. Max cuddled against me harder like it would keep me warmer and I giggled at his efforts. "Why'd you bring me out in the cold?" he asked me. I smiled up at him and began asking him questions, just like I had wanted to.

"Did you grow up in Vegas?" I asked, pulling some more grass off of his shirt. He paused and messed with the hem of my shirt. He cleared his throat and began to answer.

"No, I used to live in Ohio," he said, like he was being interviewed. Which, in a way, I guess he was.

"Go on..." I urged. I knew there was more.

"I moved here when I was 12," he confirmed, bringing his hand up and messing with his lip. I glanced up at his chin and smiled.

"Your turn," I chimed.

"Huh?" he asked, obviously clueless.

"Your turn to ask me a question," I smiled to myself.

"Oh, right," he answered playfully. "Hmm...were you always this pretty?" he asked, and he made a dorky face.

"....What the fuck is with you and these lame, flirty pick-up lines?" I teased him, raising up so I could look him in the eyes. He tried to keep a straight face but failed and stifled some laughs. "You're a loser," I giggled, and layed my head back down on his chest. He didn't say anything for a second, and I thought I had hurt his feelings. "But you're my loser," I said cutely, patting his stomach. He laughed, but quickly put a serious face on.

"Alright, I got one," he said, squinting his eyes and clearing his throat. "What about you? Did you grow up here?" he asked carefully. I pressed my lips together, letting out a sigh.

"No," I stated simply, hoping he wouldn't urge me to go on like I had him.

"Mhm?" he asked, pulling a strand of my hair out of his mouth, which made me laugh way more than it should have.

"Sorry, sorry," I choked out after he narrowed his eyes at me for the third time. I finally calmed down and began talking. "My dad was an alcoholic..." I said, trying to sound plain. I winced, attempting to not bring any memories back. Who was I kidding? My conscious and I both knew that as soon as it came out of my mouth, images would come flooding back, and sure enough, images of broken glass and yelling scattered my brain like a broken picture frame, making me smash my face into Max's chest.

"Oh..?" Max uttered, unsure of what to say.

"I'm okay," I answered, my words a bit muffled by his shirt.

"Bad memories?" he asked, moving his head so he could look at me.

"Yeah," I sighed, rolling off of him calmly and plopping next to him in the fresh smelling grass.

I almost got caught off guard by the beauty of my surroundings. I chewed on one of my nails and made shapes out of the clouds before Max broke me out of my thoughts once more.

"We don't have to talk about it anymore," he assured me. I smirked at him and grabbed his hand that he had rested on my stomach.

"You were a momma's boy weren't you?" I half asked him, half teased him. He just laughed a little and messed with my fingers.

"Yeah I was actually, why?" he said, turning his face toward mine.

"Because you're a really sensitive guy." I smiled at him as I wiped a stray smudge of eyeliner off of his cheek. He scooted closer to me and traced the shape of my face with his finger tips very slowly and I just closed my eyes and tried to memorize the feeling.

"...and chicks dig us sensitive guys," Max whispered, and I could feel his breath on my face.

"You're right," I croaked, opening my eyes and being surprised at how close he ended up being. I smiled and he chuckled at me. I leaned in and so did he. The skin on his bottom lip brushed against mine and I closed my eyes as he rested his arm around my hip.

"Where the shit have you guys been?!" Jessi's voice boomed from the street. I shot up and rested back on the hillside with my elbows and Max just looked up from his spot.

"You ruin everything!" I shouted at Jessi as I got up and brushed my knees off.

"Bull fucking shit! You two have been gone for three fucking hours. I think I have a right to be worried!" Jessi growled. I just shut my mouth and walked to their car, with Max following closely behind me.

"Since when did you become our mom?" Max teased, opening the door for me and letting me crawl into the backseat.

"Shut the hell up and just get in the damn car! Is that so hard?!" Jessi snapped. Max's eyes got wide and he exchanged glances with me. I smirked and just shook my head.

"Sorry mother," Max mumbled, and I laughed.

"Why were you two gone for three fucking hours?!" Jessi shrieked, ignoring Max's smart remark.

"I don't know Jessi! God damn! We were just taking a walk, calm the fuck down will you!" I yelled, fed up with her snapping at me. Max and Jessi both got quiet and I just stared out the window in frustration.

"Sorry...I just don't want you to get hurt again," Jessi confessed.

"I'm sorry too," I nodded. "But we're okay and that's all that matters," I assured her. Jessi chewed on her lip ring and watched the road as she drove home. I scooted closer to Max as we arrived at Bryan's and she honked the horn for him to come out so we could go out and have some fun and not worry about anything for once in a long time.