Status: Active

Breathe Easy the Doctors Are About to Arrive

chapter 20

Max and I awoke to the sound of my cell phone vibrating against the wood of the in-table. I flung my arm over to the table, hitting it on the edge.

"Fuck," I hissed. My hand struggled around on the table until it found the phone. I furrowed my eyebrows. Who would be calling me right now? I found it and opened it, pressing it against my ear. "Hello?" I croaked, glancing at Max. His eyes were open and bloodshot. I kept the crease in my forehead as I waited for the person to answer me. "HELLO?!" I shouted. I was frustrated.

"Don't fucking yell at me, bitch," I heard a familiar voice shriek into the receiver. A smile played on my lips and I could feel my eyes sparkling in their sockets.

"STEVIE! OH MY FUCKING GOD!" I screamed, jumping on top of the bed and standing there. Max sat up and rubbed his eyes. He looked at me like I was weird, but I ignored him. "WHERE ARE YOU? I'LL COME," I told her, still smiling. I bounced up and down. She laughed.

"What the fuck? Alright. I'm staying at a hotel. I just finished college, and I'm taking a break from everything," she stated. My smile disappeared and I swallowed, straightening out my shirt. I had nothing good or successful in my life to tell her about. Well, no, I was wrong. I had Max to tell her about. I smiled again and bit my lip, turning to Max in the process. "Hello?" Stevie's voice rang through my ear.

"We should go out tonight, together, I'll bring Max," I told her excitedly, sitting down on the bed and awaiting for her reply. I didn't care if she said no. I'd drag her out anyways.

"Who the hell's Max?" she asked me. I giggled.

"My one and only," I said lamely, ruffling Max's hair. He smiled like a little kid, which made me smile even bigger. All of this smiling was making my face hurt.

"Really. You have a boyfriend?" Stevie asked me.

"I do," I told her, chewing on the tips of my nails.

"Is he hot?" she asked the typical question she would always ask me when we were younger. I chuckled at her, but ignored her question. "Where are we going tonight?" she asked me. I bounced up and down in my spot again.

"To a bar, somewhere exciting!" I said, enunciating the last part.

"I haven't had an alcoholic beverage in so long," she said, laughing. I squealed.

"What hotel are you staying at, I'm not far from the strip, I can come pick you up," I told her.

"Really Miranda? With no car?" she teased me.

"We can walk," I smirked. "I'm a fatty anyway, I need to lose some," I told her, patting my stomach.

"Shut up," both Stevie and Max snapped at me in unison.

"Who was that?!" Stevie asked me. I was laughing uncontrollably.

"My one and only," I repeated the words exactly as I had said them a few seconds ago.

"Ah. I see. Smart man," she said. I ran my finger across the indent on the smooth wood of the in-table. "I'm staying at......hmm, you know the hotel with the big painting of a sky and a sun on it...looks kind of Hispanic," Stevie explained to me.

"Yes, I do," I told her, nodding my head and running my fingertips over my face. "Well don't go anywhere, cause we're gonna come get you later," I told her. "I'll call you on my cell phone before we leave," I told her before she could even ask. I smiled; I knew her too well.

"Alright," she said. I could hear the smile in her voice as well.

"BYE!" I squealed. I hung up the phone and practically threw it down. "Oh my god!" I exhaled exasperatedly.

"Who..?" Max asked, crossing his arms and waiting for an explanation.

"Oh my god...do you know how GREAT this is?!" I asked him, jumping on him and planting a big kiss on his lips. I deepened it and layed on top of him, forcing him to lay down too.

"Mm..okay?" he said, staring up at my smiling face once I had broken away. A small smirk played on his face. "Am I allowed to go back to bed?" he asked me, laughing to make it light. I could tell he was a little bit grumpy. I stuck my finger in my mouth for a second and looked around the room. I smiled down at him.

"If you want to," I told him. I sounded much more calm now, although I wasn't. He smiled at me and raised up to kiss me before he went back to sleep. "Can I ask you a quick question before you do though?" I asked him sweetly, laying my head on his chest and looking up at him.

"And what would that be?" he asked me, yawning.

"Why are your eyes blood shot?" I said, frowning and looking over his face for some type of reaction. He cleared his throat, and blinked. He blinked again...and then again. "Why are they bloo-" I began again, but he cut me off.

"It doesn't matter," he said quietly, kissing me and turning on his side.

"Yes it does," I said firmly.

"I'm just tired!" he raised his voice. I flinched back and chewed on the inside of my lip to keep myself from lashing back at him.

"Oh...okay...sorry..." I said. I got up off of him, but he turned back onto his backside and pulled me back down gently.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you, I'm just tired," he told me. His voice was soft and drought. I frowned and tilted my head to the side. I layed down beside him.

"I'm sorry for keeping you up all night," I said to him. I honestly did feel bad.

"Nooo, it's okay," he said, smiling a little bit. His eyes were already half closed.

"You're scary when you're deathly tired," I told him, frowning at him and glancing over his face. His skin still looked flawless, but the whites of his eyes made him look almost sick. I stroked his face with my hand and kissed him softly. "Go to sleep," I told him, rubbing his chest comfortingly. He sighed with his eyes closed and pulled me closer to him. I pressed my cheek against him and I realized I could probably use a couple more hours of sleep as well.

"It's fucking six o clock in the afternoon, are you two dead?!" Jessi shrieked as she opened the door.

"Mmm. Jessica, what makes you feel the need to barge in on us all of the time?" I asked her, as I stretched and wiped the tiredness out of my eyes. Max wouldn't let me loose. I smiled.

"It's my house, Miranda," Jessi joked back.

"Nope. It's Bryan's," I smirked, pushing Max's hair back out of his face.

"Whatever Randi," Jessi smirked back, closing the door. I laughed and so did Max. He planted a big kiss on the side of my lips and I giggled.

"Well you're in a better mood," I said, smiling up at him.

"You made it better," he told me. I blushed a little bit and pressed my face into his chest, squealing. "Okay?!" he said, jumping a little bit. I let my head fall back a little bit and I laughed at him. I sat up and shook my hair so it fell down all around my face. I smiled at nothing in particular and I flipped my hair back. I felt Max sit up too.

"You might want to get ready," I told him, standing up and fully stretching my entire body.

"Volunteering me for things are we?" he retorted.

"Yep," I shot back, still smiling. He grabbed me around the waist and walked me back to the wall until he could pin me against it, which wasn't that far.

"What if I say no?" he smirked as he got all the way into my face.

"Then I drag you along anyway," I told him, not budging.

"I'm going to punch you in the face," he said to me playfully.

"I will take you down, Green," I told him, putting a 'tough' face on. He smirked.

"I'd like that," he said, raising an eyebrow. "We can mud wrestle," he said, laughing at his lame joke. I laughed at him too, and rolled my eyes as well.

"Go get ready," I told him, yawning and patting his chest. He obeyed me like a child and walked into the bathroom as I gathered some clean clothes.