Status: Active

Breathe Easy the Doctors Are About to Arrive

chapter 5

Image

I must have been walking for an hour or so, but it felt so good to be able to walk around with something happy to think about. The sky was beginning to turn pink and orange as the sun got ready to set. I heard the sound of locust in the trees, and I heard children's laughter every where. I sat down at a park bench that was seated on the outside perimeter of a school playground and I decided I'd text Jessi and tell her I was okay and that I didn't walk out in front of a huge semi or anything. I crossed my legs and pulled the jacket, that I now recognized as Jessi's, closer together as the weather was incredibly chilly for this time of year; or maybe it was just me. I realized I still had nothing but Max's shirt and boxers on. I laughed at myself and I then knew the reason I kept getting stared at. I didn't care though, it's not like I could do anything about it. I opened my phone that I had grabbed a long with Jessi's jacket before I left, and I started on the text message. I'm alive [: and pressed send. I looked down at my long, pale legs as I waited for Jessi to answer me. I looked kind of good in shorts, and his shirt made my boobs look better than usual. I laughed and I wanted to smack myself as soon as I thought those things. I wouldn't let myself believe lies. I looked at my reflection in the screen of the phone and saw my puffy red eyes, and my hair was sticking up everywhere. I grimaced and I had the urge to throw my phone to get rid of the ugly reflection, but I just turned it over instead. After a couple minutes of re-gaining the content feeling I had, I replayed what had happened back at the house with Max in my head. I re-lived the feelings both of the kisses had given me and I shivered, and I couldn't help but smile.

I was lost in thought and staring at the ground when I noticed a group of people in a car driving by and shouting obnoxious things at random people.

"Hey! Isn't she that girl you had the other night, man?" I heard a voice yell.

"Yeah," a familiar voice said boredly. My stomach instantly dropped and I started shaking my legs. I put my hood up, trying to block them out, afraid that if I got up and walked away that they would follow me.

"Yeah. she's a nasty one, but eh she has nice tits," the guy that answered spoke while laughing. I clenched my teeth and shut my eyes tightly.

"Hey Randi!...isn't her name Randi?" the guy driving asked. I heard a bunch of mumbling as I stood and started to walk away. I couldn't sit here and take it. I couldn't believe they'd even try this near a school playground and children. I crossed my arms tightly, gripping my phone in one hand and messing with the strings of Jessi's jacket in the other. I stared at the ground for a good 20 minutes, until I heard the same car engine beside me. My heart started racing. I had a bad feeling about this. I picked up walking speed, I was almost to Bryan's house, I would be safe and warm soon.

"Randi, baby, you look....horrible, wanna give us a ride? I mean, want us to give you a ride somewhere?" the guy that was driving joked, as his friends broke out in roars of laughter. I growled underneath my breath. I couldn't take it anymore, if he said anything else I was going to explode with anger and kill all of them. My instincts caused me to bust into a run and they just drove faster to catch up with me. I wasn't running for long when I stumbled over a crooked sidewalk patch and I fell, hitting the side of my face hard on the concrete, feeling my neck pop and my face hit the ground roughly. I screamed as I felt a little bit of my flesh being scratched, and I started crying instantly.

"Nice going," the guy snorted, not even caring that I was probably hurt very badly. But who was I kidding, right? I heard a door open from a house nearby, as I just layed there in pain, too much pain to get up. I heard massive yelling and I heard foot steps running over to me.

"IF YOU DON'T LEAVE RIGHT NOW I'M CALLING THE FUCKING COPS!" I heard Bryan yell. I was thankful for my friends, again. I furrowed my eyebrows in pain as my whole head throbbed, sending stinging sensations to my cheek. The guys in the car yelled something obnoxious at Bryan and made a crude joke about Jessi bending over to help me. "OR I'LL JUST KILL ALL OF YOU," Bryan roared loudly, walking toward the car like a crazy man.

"BRYAN!" Jessi growled, trying to keep herself under control. "Don't," she said more quietly when he turned to look at her. Bryan looked the maddest I've ever seen him, even in my state. The car full of guys finally drove off, after they heard sirens nearby, although no one called the cops on them. "AND DON'T EVER FUCKING COME BACK!" Bryan screamed angrily, making me jump. A couple of the guys in the car flipped Bryan off as they sped off. Bryan, and Max who was standing behind Jessi, shouted profanities at the car as it drove around the corner. I wanted to laugh so bad, but I couldn't.

Jessi put her hand under my arm and Max rushed over to help, as did Bryan.

"We heard you scream," Jessi said, breathing heavily from the anxiety of the situation. Max looked down at me, his eyes bugged with worry. Bryan looked down at me calmly, I could still read the anger in his face. I blinked softly and tried to get up. I moaned, my ankle felt like it was broken, although I knew it wasn't.

"I can carry you," Max offered quickly.

"I'm fine, really," I said, not wanting to worry my friends anymore. Max ignored me and scooped my flimsy, sore body up anyway. I sighed angrily and narrowed my eyes, although it hurt. "This really isn't necessary," I said, annoyed at myself and gritting my teeth. Max just didn't talk to me. He went in the house, layed me down on the couch, and then walked up the stairs slowly to the room I presumed was his. I sighed and brought my arm up slowly, resting my hand over my eyes. Jessi went in the kitchen and got a rag and wet it, bringing it to me as I sat up. "Why is he acting like that?" I asked, wincing as I dabbed at the cut, trying to get the blood off of my face.

"Who, you mean Max?" Jessi confirmed before she answered me. "Yeah, I think he thinks you left because you didn't want to 'try things out'" Jessi answered, furrowing her eyebrows at me as I moved my ankle around and didn't answer her.

"He was talking about it with Bryan, he really wants to help you, Randi....It's just Max, the way he is. He may be a big flirt, but he's also a very good guy," Jessi said, glancing at the ceiling. "Listen to me saying good things about my friends," she said, laughing.

"I don't want to be with someone just because they wanna help me..." I trailed off, staring at the wall in front of me.

"I think it's more than that," Jessi answered sincerely, curling her lips inside her mouth and sucking on her lip ring as she looked over my face.

"I don't see how, he's only spent a day and a half with me, and there's nothing that great about me," I told her.

"Shut the hell up. You have no idea how cool you are," she said while laughing at herself. I snickered too. "But seriously, you're a really good person, and you're really pretty, which makes guys fall for you more easily," she said, smiling at me. I shook my head and rolled my eyes, I wasn't convinced. "I also think Max can see things in you that even you can't, I think you guys would be good together. I think you need each other in a lot of ways," Jessi said, chuckling softly.

"Why would he need me?" I asked, baffled beyond belief.

"Because he needs someone real, who doesn't want him just because of his looks or because he's in a band, you should know that Randi," Jessi said, making it sound obvious. I frowned.

"I'll only cause problems," I mumbled.

"I think he's willing to take that risk," Jessi smirked, getting up and walking into the kitchen to get some medicine to put on my injury. I thought about it for a minute, and I almost wanted to march right up there and tell him I was his, but I knew I had to think this through a little bit more. I wouldn't let myself be happy that easily. I figured I would be done "thinking" when I was done cleaning myself up, and then I would go talk to him and see just what he had to say for himself.