Status: Active

Breathe Easy the Doctors Are About to Arrive

chapter 7

Image

I ran, and just kept at it as fast as I could. Houses were passing me by and the coolness of the night time air rushed past my cheeks, freezing them a little bit. I turned corners sharply, letting the street lights illuminate my way. I finally got to my destination, and it felt like I was needing to do so in a hurry. I glanced around and all I could see was brick walls surrounding me and a fence ahead. I ran through the fence, like I was a ghost. I glanced around again, and this time I saw someone I knew. They weren't alive, and they weren't in good shape either. I carefully walked up to the stone table and I then knew who it was; it was me. My body was cold and pale, and my lips were blue. I touched the hand of my dead corpse, and then I saw a bright light with demons emerging from it in an eerie way. I didn't expect this, I always thought bright lights were the enigma of all things good. The demons took an odd looking object that looked sharper than necessary and they split my dead body in half. I felt the pain rip through me like I had felt it in my own state. I screamed and I screamed. I screamed until I couldn't scream anymore, and I cried too. I just let the screams and tears pour out of me until I woke myself up.

I shot up and I couldn't breathe. I screamed the loudest I could muster, thinking about how the demons in my dream looked. I could feel sweat covering my entire body, as Max just engulfed me from the other side of the bed and rocked me back and forth. I trembled and cried my eyes out as he cradled me in his arms. I felt like a 5 year old little girl that had a nightmare. I gasped and struggled for air until I calmed down just enough to assure myself it was just a dream. I broke away from Max just a little bit, to make sure my body was still in place.

"I am so fucking crazy," I said between sobs.

"It was just a dream," Max whispered into my ear as he pulled me onto his lap. Now I really felt like a little girl. I would have laughed if I hadn't just dreamed about getting cut in half. I took advantage of the position, nonetheless. I cuddled against his chest, and I already started getting sleepy again. But I really didn't want to go to sleep again.

"I had a dream I got cut in half by demons, Max, what the fuck is that supposed to mean?" I asked, my voice cracking as I wiped my nose. My eyes were wide with insanity and I just tried to calm myself. Max chuckled and started laughing more than he should have. "What?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows up at him.

"I don't know, it just makes me laugh," he said, putting his arms around my stomach and resting them there casually. He noticed I wasn't laughing back, so he stopped and rested his hand on my back in comfort. "Now I can't sleep," I moaned, falling back on the bed, my legs resting on his lap. "Why'd we have to go to bed," I moaned again, putting my hand over my face.

"Because it was 3 AM and we didn't have anything else to talk about," Max chuckled. I raised my eyebrows in surprise even then. I couldn't believe we stayed up that long just talking.

"Ugh," I grunted. Now I felt heated and sick all of a sudden and I didn't know why. I heard the bedroom door open, and it made me jump.

"What the hell was all of that noise?" Bryan asked, annoyed.

"Shut up Bryan, don't act annoyed," I told him. Bryan just slammed the door in more annoyance at my smart remark and I chuckled darkly. "I HAD A BAD DREAM!" I yelled after him, as Max laughed.

"I HOPE YOU DIED IN IT!" Bryan yelled. He never talked too much or showed much emotion most of the time, but waking Bryan up in the middle of the night was something you just didn't do. I simply just laughed at his remark, because I was used to it. Max however, looked kind of bothered by Bryan's words. I turned around so my head was where it was supposed to be and fluffed my pillow. Max layed back down too and he turned the light off, which made my heart race in fear.

"Can you turn it back on?" I asked, my words came out all in one.

"Awww," Max said as he turned the light back on.

"Shut up," I said, blushing.

"No, I think it's cute. You're afraid of the dark," Max laughed, turning over to face me.

"Am not," I said, yawning.

"Are too," he said, raising his eyebrows.

"Am not," I said quickly, making lines in my forehead with the look I gave him.

"Are too," he said, mocking me.

"I'll go sleep on the couch," I said, getting up and acting like I was leaving, when in reality I was kidding the hell out of myself because there was no way I was sleeping alone after that dream. I heard a girly scream come from Max's throat and he grabbed onto the hem of the shirt I was wearing. I looked at him in so many weird ways, but just burst out laughing afterwards. "What the fuck?!" I shrieked between fits of laughter.

"SHUT UP!" I heard Bryan roar from the room down the hall.

"I LOVE YOU!" I yelled back at him, all smiles. Max and I just drowned in our laughter until we couldn't laugh anymore. "You're a fucking wierdo," I mumbled at Max when I finally stopped laughing.

"So are you," he said, smiling at me with gratitude. I giggled at him and scooted closer towards his body. "If I protect you from the scary monsters, can we sleep with the light off?" he asked me, scanning my face with his eyes.

"It depends on your definition of "protect"," I told him. He leaned over and turned the light off and I felt the fear inside of me again as I began to hallucinate and see frightening objects in the dark. I whined and pulled the blanket over my head. I felt Max grab me around my waist and pull me up against him like I was a teddy bear of some sort.

"Shhh," he said into my hair. My heart started beating at unbelievable rates again, but not from fear this time. He squeezed me once and I could feel his breathing getting more and more relaxed, relaxing me as well. I cuddled my face into the pillow and closed my eyes, fighting to keep them open but failing. Sleep slowly won me over, and this time my dreams weren't scary at all.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I awoke in the same comfortable position we fell asleep the night before, and I smiled. I turned over so that I was facing him, and thanked the fact that Max was a heavy sleeper. I glanced over his face and took in everything about it. His face looked more boyish than manly, and he had the most soft looking skin I had ever seen. No sign of bumps, abrasions, scars, or facial hair at all. I was jealous. His eyelashes were long like mine, while his lips were full and luscious, which made him look more feminine than necessary. Although he looked like he was in his early teens, his jaw bones were pronounced like that of a man's. I didn't notice how long I was admiring him until I noticed the room had gotten lighter. I stretched and stared up at the ceiling until I couldn't handle staying in bed any longer. I leaned up slowly and carefully and kissed him on the cheek. His skin felt cold against my lips, and I enjoyed the feeling. I wriggled out of his now loosened grip, and got out of the bed. I stretched my whole body and walked out the door and basically skipped down the stairs.

"Hey Randi, I found a couple pairs of jeans that you left over here a long time ago, they're in mine and Jessi's room if you want to change or anything," Bryan told me, staring me down at the fact that I'd been wearing the same clothes for two days. I rolled my eyes and chuckled.

"You fucking health freak...I don't remember leaving my shit over here," I said, my voice sounding tired still. I half expected Jessi to glare at me and think I had sex with her boyfriend in the past many times, but she proved me wrong. I suspected that she knew both me and him better than that. I ran up the stairs again and walked into Bryan's room, seeing two folded pairs of jeans on his dresser. I looked around the room and smirked at how organized he was. I rummaged through some of his drawers, looking for shirts that belonged to Jessi, trying not to mess up their order. I took out her Avenged Sevenfold shirt and decided I would take a shower. I ran down stairs with the clothes in my hands and went into their laundry room. I opened the dryer, and took out my underwear and my bra. I was happy to have them back. I walked down the hall into the bathroom and closed the door behind me. I stripped myself of my clothes quickly and ran the water until it was hot enough to satisfy me. I took longer than usual in the shower, using Jessi's razor to shave my legs and washing over my body twice. I finally turned the water off, and grabbed for a towel, only to figure out that there wasn't one. I scoffed at my forgetful ways and carefully stepped out onto the tiled floor and cracked open the door.

"Unless anyone wants to see my naked ass they should look away," I warned as I covered my chest and opened the hall closet and took out a towel, wrapping it around myself quickly. I looked over toward the couch, seeing both Jessi and Bryan curled together watching TV under a blanket. Jessi had her hand over her eyes, and Bryan just focused on the TV. I laughed at them and walked back into the bathroom to dry off.

After I was fully dressed I waltzed up the stairs to wake my sleeping beauty. I smiled a big smile as I opened the door and noticed there was no one in the bed. I looked at the bathroom door and it was closed. He was using the bathroom.

"I was just coming in here to wake you up," I said cheerfully. He didn't answer me. I laughed. "Max?" I called, still smiling. He still didn't answer me. He sighed with frustration after a couple of seconds.

"What do you want Randi?" he snapped at me. I glared at him through the bathroom door, and the tone he used with me made me want to smack him across the face.

"What the hell is your problem?!" I snapped back. He didn't say anything back. I tried to turn the door knob, to see what he was doing, I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. "Max what are you doing?" I asked him, furrowing my eyebrows at the locked door. "Can I come in?" I asked, trying to open the door even though I knew it was locked.

"NO DON'T COME IN HERE," he yelled anxiously. My heart started beating faster and faster and I got a nail from one of the drawers of the night stand beside the bed. I pushed it through the hole and the door clicked. I pressed it open fast so he couldn't shut it and I stood in the door way. I saw two lines of white powder on the toilet seat that had been smeared in his efforts to hide it, and I gulped. I glanced up at his face, and it looked distressed, anxious, angry, and embarrassed all at the same time. "What the fuck is this?!" I hissed, as I felt my cheeks growing hot with disbelief.

"Maybe if you wouldn't have barged in like you did you wouldn't have seen it," Max hissed in my face. I raised my hand and slapped him hard across the cheek, and I could already see the red mark forming. I clenched my jaws to keep myself from doing anything else.

"Don't you ever get in my face like that, I get disrespected by guys enough, I don't need you to disrespect me like that too," I spat at him. He rolled his eyes at me. "Do you see what these drugs do to you Max? The three days that I've been here you've been nothing but love able and sweet to me, you've been helping me so much. And then I come in here and you're squatting down over a toilet seat snorting lines of coke and you treat me like I'm dirt. Are these the good feelings you were talking about because I don't fucking see anything good that they could be doing for you. Do you know what Jessi or Bryan would do if they came up here and saw you doing this?" I vented at him through clenched teeth. He pushed me out of the way gently and closed the door in my face, locking it and sitting against it so I couldn't come back in. I kicked the door as hard as I could, and went to tell Jessi and Bryan what I had just saw, but half way toward the door I decided against it. So I just sat at the foot of the bed and put my head in my hands, trying to calm myself of the guilt, anger, and worry that filled me from head to toe.