‹ Prequel: Prove It

I Guess I Just Don't Get It

Three: I'd Find A Way

"Fiacco! Interview outside now! Make them hurry and leave, though. We're conditioning today, and you all need it desperately. Fernando and Iker are after Camry. Go on!" Coach Bosque instructed us. I spun on my heel and jogged outside of the stadium, where I saw a news truck, next to which a man in his early thirties maybe was sitting. He stood up as I approached.
"Carlos Ramirez, you must be Camry," he said as he shook my hand.
"Yes sir, great to meet you!" I smiled.
"Alright, let's get started!" He gave the signal to the camera man to begin recording, then turned back to me and said, "You're the first woman ever to play on an all male league. What was your reaction when you found out you were going to Manchester?"
"Well of course I was excited beyond all reason, at first I didn't really know how to react, of course. Even now it hasn't really sunk in yet," I replied.
"So did you talk to Sir Alex about it? How'd they find out about you?" He asked.
"Oh," I laughed, remembering. "I was actually the trainer for a few months before everything happened, and after practice one day I was messing about and Sir Alex saw me and let me practice with the guys, of course pretending to be a guy the whole time. I assume Coach Bosque would've had a hard time not hearing about a girl playing in the Premier League, so he came to see me as well about the Spanish Team."
The interview continued for a while longer, before he finally released me in order to talk to Fernando and Iker. When I returned to the pitch the team had just finished sprints, so I ran a few warm up laps before joining them in running up and down the bleachers.
The team had been running stairs for about thirty minutes with a few one-minute breaks every occasionally. We took a water break and started up a new drill, where the offenders would start at the midfield line and the defenders would start at the touch line. Iker, who had returned within the last few minutes, would punt a ball out and it would be a 2 v 2 game, two offense against two defense. I was lined up to go with Cesc Fabregas, and figured we would do fairly well. Iker punted out the ball and it came towards me so I called Cesc off and took it down. As Carles sprinted out to me I popped the ball in the air and volleyed it over his head easily. Gerard Pique started over towards me, leaving Cesc for Carles to cover, but I gave Cesc a through pass before Carles could get back. He popped it back up to me and I headed it in easily.
"Nice, Camry!" Cesc congratulated me as we ran back to get in line again. I thanked him, and before I knew it, it was our turn again. This time Pepe was our goalie, and the ball went to Cesc. I sprinted behind and around him for an overlapping run, received the pass, made another through pass back, and sprinted to get to the pass, barely staying onsides. I barely got past Sergio and without realizing what was happening, I was on the ground.
I groaned and rolled over before gasping in pain. The worst pain of my life had erupted in my ankle. I bit my tongue to keep from screaming.
"Back off, give her room!" I heard someone yell before the same voice asked much quieter, "It's your ankle, correct?"
I did my best not to be mad at the person as I nodded. Yes, it's my ankle you twit! I thought before feeling myself being lifted off the ground. Opening my eyes, I saw that Sergio was carrying me to the trainer's, where I got my ankle braced and took some painkillers before John, the trainer, drove me to the hospital, leaving Sergio behind.

&&
When I got back to the stadium, I headed to the locker room, knowing the guys would be done cleaning up. Just as I was about to push open the door, I heard Sergio yelling. "It was reckless! You know there's no slide tackling in practice! Who knows how long she'll be out!"
"Sergio! Shut up! You know he would never have slide tackled her if he knew what would happen!" Iker yelled back.
"I don't know how many times I can say sorry and have you believe me, Sergio! But just remember, she's been telling us this whole time to treat her on the field just the same as we would treat another guy! So lay off!" Gerard said, much quieter than Iker or Sergio had been.
I decided that this was the time to make me presence known and pushed open the door and hobbled in on my crutches. I'd had them only a few hours and they were already driving me insane. "Ya'll shouldn't yell at each other. Teammates don't do that. It's not his fault, Sergio. I don't blame him. It happens."
We didn't leave Sergio much room to do anything else but simply to leave. After he had gone Gerard came up to me and apologized profusely. I stopped him. "Gerard, I know you didn't mean to. It's cool. No hard feelings. And don't worry about Sergio, I'll talk to him. He's just being stupid now. But I guess you know that," I smiled and hugged him before hurrying after Sergio, or as much as I could.
"Sergio!" I yelled as soon as I could see him. He was about to get into his Range Rover but stopped upon hearing me call him. He turned and started towards me to help. "You weren't gonna leave me, were you?" I smiled and joked.
He shook his head, remaining serious. "Of course not. I was just gonna wait in the car. How are you planning on driving with your right foot broken?"
"Pfft. I'd find a way, believe me."
"That's what I'd worry about. Come on, pick up your crutches. I'll carry you."
"That's unnecessary-" he interrupted me but picking me up bridal style easily and placing me in the passenger seat.
"You need to eat more, you're too light."
"I eat a lot and you know it. But that's not the point. Sergio, you shouldn't be so mad at Gerard. Please don't be mad. It was an honest mistake, and you know he wouldn't have done it for million dollars if he'd known what was going to happen."
He gripped the steering wheel so tight his knuckles turned white. Considering how tan he is, it surprised me. "I know, but just seeing your face when you were on the ground, it hurt me just as much. And he really wasn't even going for the ball, it was way in front of you. And if I hadn't let you get by me, it wouldn't have happened at all!"
I punched him in the arm. "In no way was it your fault. It's been too long since I've broken anything anyway, it was bound to happen."
We were both silent for a few minutes before he asked, "How long are you out, anyway?"
"Hopefully only a little longer than a month. Maybe two. It's gonna suck major."
He nodded in agreement. A few minutes later we were pulling into my driveway. Before getting out, I turned to him. "Thanks Sergio. I really do appreciate it," I kissed him before slowly heading inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been a while, I know. Sorry. But I'm starting to get some more ideas for this. SO hopefully I"ll update sooner :] I miss you guys! And those comments....hint hint :)