‹ Prequel: Prove It

I Guess I Just Don't Get It

Six. I Like It

"This is so awesome!" I exclaimed as I found my seat at the United States game against England with Sergio, Fernando, Carles, and Iker. I had convinced Coach Bosque I should go, and of course the guys just had to tag along.
"So why do you really wanna see this game?" Fernando asked.
"Uh, possibly because it's my home country?" I replied, scanning the field for my favorite American player.
"Sure, sure, I'll be more specific. Who do you want to see?" He corrected himself.
I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye. "The American players. Believe it or not, some of them are friends."
"How much did you pay them?" Carles asked, making the guys laugh.
"Shut up, ya'll. I am a very fun, nice person, whether you think so or not," I crossed my arms. "But, I'll admit, I really wanna talk to Carlos Bocanegra and Tim Howard."
"Not Landon or Jozy?" Iker asked.
I scoffed. "Jozy Altidore is a lazy bum, and Landon Donovan gets lucky. Tim Howard is just full out beast, and Carlos Bocanegra is just completely awesome." It was after saying this that the inquisition ended, and I realized how quiet Sergio had been the whole time. "You okay?" I asked him.
He turned to me, smiled, and nodded. "Of course. Just thinking."
I felt like he didn't really want to talk about it, so I dropped it and turned to the pitch, where they were seconds away from kick off. I squealed as I saw Carlos, Tim Howard, and Jay Demerit. I then turned the other way and laid eyes on Wayne Rooney. I gasped and clutched Sergio's arm, "It's Wayne freaking Rooney! Oh my gosh!"
This caused the guys to laugh. "Why weren't you like this when you met us?" Sergio asked.
"Oh believe me, I was on the inside. Flipping out. I still do, sometimes."
"Oh really?"
I nodded. "Definitely. You know how sometimes you have those moments where you suddenly really think about what's going on? Or am I the only one that happens to?"
"That happens to me, too," he laughed.
"Good. Well, yeah, like sometimes we'll be in the middle of a drill or something and it kinda sinks in a little more than I'm actually on the Spanish National Soccer Team, playing soccer with some of the best players in the world. It's really weird, and annoying sometimes, because it can get distracting. So when I look like I'm zoning out that's probably what's happening," I smiled and took his hand.

"I feel really bad for Robert Green, though. Poor guy, no one's ever gonna let him live that down for the rest of his life!" I was saying as we left the stadium after the game.
They agreed silently, before busting out laughing. "What a howler!" Fernando mocked the commentator, making them erupt in laughter all over again.
I smiled but couldn't laugh. I couldn't imagine how awful he must feel, letting Dempsey's shot in like that. I would die if I did that. I pulled my jacket tighter around me as we walked to find a taxi. We were walking around for almost half an hour before an empty taxi finally drove up, but wouldn't let all of us squish in, so Sergio and I decided to wait and find another one. This took another twenty minutes, which we spent simply talking, mostly me, about what it was like in the United States and such. Apparently it was much more interesting to him than I had thought it would be, it sounded quite boring to me. I didn't have any kind of special, spectacular childhood or anything, just your average one. But I was very lucky, and I knew that.
The conversation had quieted in the taxi, and we listened to the radio. A song ended and the announcer broke in. "And in football news, we just received word today that footballer Cristiano Ronaldo now has a son! We don't know what the name is, or who the mother is, but we know he was born three days ago, and we thought you all might like to know. Next here, is Enrique Iglesias, with 'I Like It', featuring Pitbull!"
I could practically feel Sergio's gaze as I sat, thinking about what I had just heard. Surely they must have their facts wrong. Something is wrong here. For his son to have been born three days ago, nine months before that still puts the time frame during our relationship.
"Girl please excuse me if I'm coming too strong. But tonight is the night we can really let go.
"Camry, I-"
"Don't. Don't say anything. It's fine. I'll call him tomorrow. It's fine. Maybe they're wrong," I tried to make both of us believe my words.
My girlfriend's outta town and I'm all alone. Your boyfriend is on vacation and he doesn't have to know, no.
Listening to the song I burst into tears spontaneously. I couldn't decide if I was more hurt or infuriated, which is really annoying. I couldn't wait until I saw Cristiano so I could slap him as hard as I possibly could. I knew the driver was getting kind of anxious, though I'd always figured cab drivers were used to driving sobbing women around, I mean, at least in the movies, anyway.
When we arrived at the hotel I paid the driver before Sergio could and pulled him out after me. He stayed silent as we headed up to our rooms, ignoring the glances of everyone around us, wondering why two Spanish football players were up and about so late. Everyone knows about their strict schedules, especially in the World Cup.

None of my fury had been lost the next morning, and the rest of the team had noticed. No one really talked to me, probably afraid of getting punched. I hoped they just figured it was really bad PMS or something, the last thing I needed was people pitying me. How annoying.
"Camry? What's up?" Iker had found a seat next to me at breakfast.
I responded with a stab at my cereal. "I'm sure you've heard about Cristiano's son?"
He nodded, clearly not understanding.
"You realize he was born four days ago? And, nine months ago, we were in the middle of our relationship?"
His eyes grew larger and his mouth formed an 'o' as he realized what I was getting at. Thankfully he wasn't one of those guys who would immediately set out to kill the offending guy. I could actually talk to him without fearing him doing something everyone would regret, so I didn't mind telling him.
Practice was intense that day, and I played better than I had in a while, and definitely with much more aggression, which I needed. We finished in time to see the end of the Portugal Ivory Coast game, and we watched all of the Brazil and North Korea match, which was kind of embarrassing to watch, forget actually playing for North Korea.
We followed up the game by talking tactics and such for Portugal and Brazil, with a little Ivory Coast thrown in there.
"I don't even know what to make of Robinho's goal. From an attacking standpoint it was phenomenal, from a goalie's, he was very far off his line. In his defense, who's actually going to go for that shot?" Iker was saying.
"In the World Cup, anyone playing offense has to take any chance they can get. If any of you have that angle, though, I want you to drop it," Bosque said. "There will always be someone there to get the ball from you, and if there's not, someone's coming out, you can bet your life on it."
And of course we all believed him.
I just couldn't wait to play Switzerland the next day.
♠ ♠ ♠
TItle credit to Enrique Iglesias, of course.
I dunno if you guys can tell where this is going, but regardless, don't be mad!
And ya'll, please, comment? Or give me some sort of feedback! I wanna know what you guys think! What am I doing well, what am I doing badly? Just tell me! Don't be silent!