Far and Away

12

It had been a few days since “the incident”, as I referred to it in my head. My mom was still sad that I had said those things about her, but I couldn’t bring myself to apologize yet. I did feel that way, but I felt bad about it now.

I walked upstairs to see my parents’ door shut, a light shining from underneath. I grasped the handle, but didn’t turn it. Voices were floating through the door. I leaned my head against the door to listen.

“I just don’t know what to do! She thinks I’m annoying, and that I try to run her life. I’m only looking out for her. I want what’s best,” my mom said, tears in her voice.

“I know, but she is 18. Maybe it’s time to let her have a little more freedom. She’s going to be graduating this year, and then she’ll be off to college,” my dad said, his voice soft. I knocked softly and the voices stopped.

“Come in dear,” my mom said her voice a little shaky. I opened the door and walked in, hugging my mom.

“I’m sorry about what I said to you,” I mumbled. I felt ashamed of my words.

“Oh sweetheart, it’s okay. I know that it’s unfair that we made you move in the middle of your senior year. I shouldn’t have assumed things.”

I pulled away and looked at my parents. They were in their 40’s, but didn’t look old at all. They had laugh lines, and I could see the sparkle in their eyes, even through my mom’s tears. They loved each other, and me, and they really tried to make things work.

“So what made you pick this little town?”

“Your father got transferred here.”

I cocked my head to one side.

“I didn’t even know your company had a location here,” I said slowly. My father laughed as he sat back.

“Frankly, I didn’t either. Not until they moved us here anyway,” he said. I laughed. He may have had anger issues, but he had a great sense of humor. I smiled and hugged my parents.

“I’m sorry for how I’ve been acting. I’m sure I’ll be able to adjust to this place just fine,” I said and walked out the door. I walked back to my room and glanced at the clock. 2:00p.m. I sighed and pulled out my phone, shuffling through my contacts. I landed on Dalton’s name, but hesitated.

Dalton? I called tentatively in my head.

Yeah Stells. came the reply. I sat down. The whole mind-connection whatever still freaked me out a little.

I’m bored. I’m sure the whining tone came through. A smile graced my face. I heard him sigh.

Me too.

Then let’s do something!

I’ll be over in a few. I smiled. I could always get him to hang out with me.

He was over at my house in a few minutes, his car idling in my driveway.

“Mom! I’m going to hang out with Dalton, I don’t know when I’ll be back!” I called up the stairs while running out the door.

“Okay honey, just be careful!” she yelled back. I rolled my eyes and closed the door, locking it behind me. I jumped into his car and fastened my seatbelt.

“So what are we going to do?” I asked.

“I don’t know. What do you want to do?” he said. I shrugged my shoulders.

“Just drive I guess. I’m sure we’ll find something we want to do.”

He shook his head and we drove off, nowhere in particular in our minds.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's so short and sorry it's been forever since I've updated. To be honest, I forgot all about my stories...
hopefully I'll be posting more!