Back to Me

Back To Me

I sat on the house porch, tapping my hand against my thigh to the beat of Joe's guitar. He's been quietly playing his unplugged electric next to me for a few minutes now.
"Come on, I'm bored! Must we have fireworks today?" I called out to Pete who was fidgetting with the direction of the fireworks on the driveway.
"Because today is my birthday and it was you who promised we could have fireworks this year!" He replied, still focused on the fireworks. I frowned. It was true. Last year we had a party for Christmas and afterwards I had mumbled in my thoughts "we should have fireworks next time" and Pete just had to hear me.
"Where the hell is Andy with those matches?" Pete thought aloud. I smiled, watching his cute pout.
Pete crossed his arms and walked up the steps to sit on a folding chair next to me. "Hey, what are we doing tomorrow?" Pete asked, energetically tapping my knee like a kid. I chuckled.
"Nothing. We drive to New York for a show the next day." I answered, noticing my voice cracking a bit.
"You alright? Don't screw with your throat." Pete said, patting my shoulder before he stood up, running towards the front door.
"Andrew John-fucking-Hurley, where the hell are those-" Andy walked out, waving the small book of matches in front of Pete's face. "Thank you." Pete mumbled, following Andy to the chairs.
"Come on, it's not even dark yet. Let's just wait."
In the 30 minutes we had used up for the sun to go down, I had thought about last year's birthday party. I had started to feel... different about him. He was my best friend for years. And we had occassionally shared a few kisses when we had lost all sobriety and sense. But Pete had never seemed to remember the next day. I had never thought much of it until now. I'm starting to think that I'm in love with Pete. Yes-- The L-word people use constantly.
"Come on, I just wanted the band this year so we could have fireworks." Pete said, pointing at the driveway. We all sighed and followed Pete to the driveway.
He instantly lit the biggest fire work first, hurrying back to us. He chuckled to himself, his shoulder brushing against mine as he turned to watch.
The cracking sound came first then the bright light shot up to explode in the air. I paid practically no attention to the blues and greens in the dark sky. I watched as Pete's eyes glowed in the light. I smiled, watching him smile widely at the colourful lights.
"Pete," He looked at me. I leaned in and pressed my lips gently against his. He said nothing. He closed his eyes and I felt him grip onto my sleeve. I smiled and leaned away. I watched his eyes as if they were lighting the sky tonight. I only wish he'd found the way back to me.
"Happy birthday." I whispered. He grinned.
"That's the best gift I've ever gotten." Pete smiled. I returned the gesture and gazed into his eyes. It was amazingly fascinating to watch the blues and the reds reflect into his glossy orbs.
"Your eyes light up the sky tonight." I whispered. Pete smiled. The fireworks dyed and darkness returned.
Pete walked away towards the guys to help light the other fireworks. It felt like a knife right through my heart. Did what just happen not matter?
So, when the lights go out tonight, I know he'll never find the way back to me.
The first mini-rocket shot up and they all backed up. Pete's hand brushed against mine, and his fingers entertwined with mine. I looked at his smiling face.
"I knew you'd find the way back to me." I smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
WOW, this sucks...
This was a new song for me. It's a nice song, but I don't think this was a GREAT job.
Tried my best for my first Pete/Patrick oneshot.