Status: done! start working on the next sequel soon.

Our Next Move

Taste the Courage

Image

December 18, 2006

I am so nervous. I have something very important to tell Matt and I don’t know how I am going to tell him. I hope he won’t be angry with me, but you never know. Mama told me,

“Ash, I know it is going to be hard but you have to tell him sooner or later.”

I know she is right but the fact remains that I think this might tear us apart or it might bring us closer together. I guess I have to put on a brave front for the Christmas party tonight.

I woke up around 8 A.M., before Matt, to try and get a head start on all the cooking for tonight. The guests (our parents, the boys from Avenged and their girlfriends and my girlfriends) will start to arrive at 6, we will have dinner at 6:30 and then open presents around 8. Matt and I have agreed that we are only going to open one gift during the Christmas party, the rest are to be opened on Christmas day.

I walked downstairs in my pyjamas, pink lounge pants and a pink loose fitting camisole. I saw that Kisses, Pooh Bear and Tigger were still asleep but Bella was wide awake yet being very quiet so he wouldn’t disturb the others. I got Bella out of the “dog room” and let him into the kitchen with me.

I fixed Bella’s breakfast and gave him some water and then made a plan for the rest of the day.

List for Today, December 18, 2006
*make breakfast
*prep turkey
* make sure I have all ingredients for other food
* start sweet potato casserole
* start green bean casserole and carrots
*start cheese biscuits
*get dressed
*make sure Matt is dressed
* welcome guests at 6


After making my plan, I heard heavy footsteps from upstairs, which could only mean that Matt was up. I inwardly cringed, knowing that in just 11 hours, I would have to tell him my news. I quickly said a prayer

“God, please let Matt take this news well, or if not, let us get through this together.”

But, once again, I kept it on the inside. I started making breakfast for Matt and I, our favourite French toast, French toast stuffed with different berries and topped with a vanilla berry
yoghurt sauce.

I was so busy making the French toast that I almost screamed when I felt a huge pair of arms grab my waist. Thankfully, I knew whose arms those were, and as if I needed a confirmation,

“Hey baby, what are you making?”

“Our favourite French toast with blueberries, raspberries and strawberries”

“You spoil me so much, by the way, Happy Anniversary baby.”

“Happy Anniversary Matt,

I said.

After I said that, Matt lightly kissed me and I broke away quickly so that I could refocus on the French toast. Matt went to go say good morning to Bella and see if the rest of the dogs were awake yet. When I finished the French toast and sauce, and then Matt had Kisses, Pooh Bear and Tigger following him into the kitchen and waiting patiently at their bowls.

I fixed Matt and me a plate of the French toast and then we both sat down at the table and ate our breakfast.

We talked about how we had so much to do between now and the party. Matt said he had to go pick up some my Christmas gift at 12 because when he ordered it, it hadn’t come in yet. But, he promised to be back by 2, so that he could help me finish up the cooking.

Once we were done with breakfast, Matt washed the dishes for me, since I did the cooking and also promised to do them for me tonight after the party too. After eating, I suddenly felt very tired, even though I had just woken up only about two hours before. I told Matt and he said,

“that’s ok baby, maybe it’s the stress of the party. Go lie down in our room; I’ll even let the dogs sleep with you.”

That just warmed my heart because normally, the dogs sleep downstairs and only on special occasions, like their birthdays, do they get to come upstairs to our room. So, I called for the dogs and their eyes got so big, it melted my heart.

Bella almost knocked me down when I told them they could go to our room, he is getting so big, and I cannot believe it.

We got to our room and once I opened the door, the dogs just ran right in and sat on the bed waiting for me. I got into the bed and pulled the covers up, then Kisses snuggled right next to my stomach and I think Pooh Bear and Tigger were at my back while Bella was at my feet. I was surrounded by dogs, but I didn’t mind one bit.

Next thing I knew it was 12:00 and Matt woke me up to tell me that he had put everything in the oven that needed to be in there, with the exception of the cheese biscuits because that was my specialty and he wasn’t going to touch that.

I woke up and was surprised to see that the dogs were gone but then I remembered it was their lunch time so they were probably downstairs.

Once I brushed my teeth and made sure my hair was in a ponytail, I went downstairs and saw the dogs eating their lunch. I saw that Matt made me a small lunch too, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a glass of milk, yummy.

Then I got to clean the house and make sure everything was in order. By the time I finished that, it was almost 2:00 and Matt was due home any minute. I decided it was best if I started to get the ingredients for the cheese biscuits ready soon, but since it would only take about 45 minutes to prep and bake them, I didn’t need to make them until 5. But, I did make sure to check on the turkey and casseroles.

Matt came home at exactly 2:00 and since the door leading to the garage is not near the kitchen, I did not hear him come in, but once he came into the kitchen I saw him. I asked him,

“So, did my present come in?”

“Yes, it did and now it is safely put away until Christmas.”

Then we decided to watch TV until 4, which wasn’t that interesting but it was something to do because we knew it wouldn't take us 2 hours to get dressed. Once we were through we went back to our room to get ready for the party. I put on a red dress and pumps while Matt put on black dress pants and a red dress shirt.

Once we were back downstairs, I quickly put on an apron and got to work on the cheese biscuits and then before I knew it, they were done and the doorbell rang. Matt answered it and before he could tell me who it was, I could hear them.

It was Jimmy and Leana. We welcomed them and shortly after that, my parents, James and Grace rang the doorbell.

Then, Bella started to bark loudly while looking out the window that you can see the driveway out of, that could only mean that Brian and Michelle were here. Then Matt’s parents came and with them came Zacky and Gena.

Last but not least, Johnny and Lacey came about 10 minutes later. Courtney, Heather and Alexa could not make it because they were taking a much needed vacation to New York City after their finals at UCLA.

We all sat around our dining room table and before we sat down to eat dinner, Matt said a prayer,

“Dear God, we thank you that all of our friends and family have made it here safely. We thank you for this wonderful food that Ashlyn has prepared for us and we pray that you will nourish it to our bodies and us to your service. And Lord, we thank you that Ashlyn and I have had another great year together as a couple. Amen.”

We sat down and while we were eating, my mom gave me a knowing look and I couldn’t help but turn away from her, but not before mouthing “tonight” to her.

Once we were done eating, Matt and Brian went to take the dishes to the kitchen and loaded the dishwasher. Then we all went into the living room to sit around the couches and chairs. I waited for Matt and Brian to get back before handing Jimmy, Brian, Zacky and Johnny their presents.

Once they got back I handed it to them and told them they could open it.

They opened it pretty quickly and smiles appeared on all their faces. I decided to get them a skull necklace because it closely resembled the Deathbat. They all said,

“Thank you Ashlyn”

and gave me a hug.

Then we made sure that the dogs got their presents put under the tree. We got Pooh Bear a “Barkingdale’s” toy, which is a spoof on Bloomingdale’s card. We got Tigger a “Sniffany & Co.” toy, which looks like the Tiffany & Co box.

We got Kisses(and the other dogs too) their own personalized beds. Finally, Matt got Bella a “Cataroma / O'Drools Beer Squeaker Dog Toy.” It is so funny, we cannot wait to see their reactions on Christmas.

Then Matt handed Lacey, Leana, Gena and Michelle their presents and they too, had huge smiles on their faces. Each girl got a Tiffany’s bracelet because what girl doesn't need something from Tiffany's?

Then it was our parents’ turn. We each handed our moms their present and they carefully opened it up to find a keychain with their first initial on it. They could not be happier. Then came the hardest part, our dads’ presents.

I can imagine that this wasn’t hard for Matt but for me, it was extremely hard to find a present for Daddy because it is hard to pick a present for him.

They both got their gifts and opened it up to find a Roberto Cavalli watch. Daddy’s eyes looked like they were about to cry but he restrained himself. After they both said their thanks, Matt started to say,

“Well, we would like to thank you all for coming tonight but…”

I quickly looked over at my mom whose look told me “It’s time”

“Wait Matt,”

I said.

“There is one more present.”

“Who could it be for? Everyone already got a present.”

“It’s for you, it’s from me, and I hope you don’t mind.”

“Of course not Ash,”

He said.

So I went to my secret hiding place and got the present, made Matt sit down and gave it to him. Matt slowly opened it up and then said,

“Ash, is this what I think this is?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, I know you are all anxious to find out what the present is, but I will not say ;), you have to click on the links to see, haha.

Breakfast
Dog’s Presents
Christmas Party
Matt’s Present