Adolescence

Ice, Ice Baby

I spit out the soda and everyone looked at me. "No?" he said, his eyebrows different angles. I regained my voice back.

"No, no..." I paused, wiping my mouth for any embarrassing food particles. "Before I accept, tell me why you asked me."

He hesitated, thinking about what to say. "Well," he started. "I can't take my eyes off of you in school." I felt my face flush red and I stared deeper into his eyes. "And I think you're really sweet and cool." He folded his hands on the table, inching them closer to me and I pretended I didn't notice. Then he smiled. "Are you going to accept now?" he was catious of his words.

"Yes," I said to where he could only hear. By now, Ed's hands were at mine and he placed his hands gently on mine.

"Thank you."

My face had gotten its original color back. "You're welcome," I smiled.

He stared into my eyes as if to get his ideas back. "Oh um, did you want to do something like see a movie or did you want to go home?"

I want to be with him, but my parents are...well pricks. "A movie sounds good." He smiled.

"Alright, we'd better get you home by 7:00." It's as if he could read my thoughts. Ed took my hand and we walked to the movie theater. "What did you want to see?"

"It doesn't matter, but I'll be right back, okay?"

"Yeah sure." I walked next door to the drug store and bought cigarettes and perfume. As soon as I was outside the store, I lit it up. Ah, sweet reunion. Then, too soon, it was just a butt. I sprayed the perfume and stuck it in my bag along with the cigarettes and walked back to the theater. He smiled as soon as he saw me and took my hand. "I already bought your ticket. It's a horror film, I hope you don't mind." God, he knew me better than I thought.

"No, I love horror." And if I get too scared, I could just hold onto him. Dude! What's gotten into me? I felt like a gooshy stuck up bitch. We walked into theater 5 and took seats in the middle and I heard chattering behind me. I didn't want to listen, but a piece of information caught my attention.

"Ed Winters must be pretty desparate to be seen in public with Jessica Thibedeaux," a girl spat my name like a dirty word.

"Yeah I know, seriously. He's way too gorgeous to be contaminated with her germs." They giggled and continued talking like I wasn't in hearing distance. "Well, she's summoned her emo powers to do some, like, freaky voodoo ritual to make him talk to her."

The second one laughed and added, "But I heard that Ed has been crushing on her for a while now."

The first girl scoffed. "That's a crime to like someone like that." I felt Ed tense up through his hands and he got up.

"I'll be right back," he whispered to me. I nodded. Ed went to the girls and they stopped laughing.

"Hi Ed," they said flirtatiously in unison.

"Do you have a problem?" he asked plainly.

"Yeah you're little friend down there."

"May I ask why?"

"Because she's weird! Come on, Ed. You can have a much better friend than that," one of them scoffed.

"She's not my friend." Betrayal washed over me and as I was about to stand up and leave, he added, "She's my girlfriend." Oh, you tell them Ed. They were silent and I heard him come back towards me and inch his way through the seats. He plopped next to me and grabbed my hand again. He looked and me and smiled and I smiled back.

"Thank you," I almost mouthed.

"You're welcome. Anything for you." I couldn't help but to feel, for the first time in my life, loved.