Adolescence

House Of Jealous Lovers

The next day of school was much better now that Ed wasn't such a mystery anymore. He had practically spilled the beans about himself to me last night. Life, for a change, had almost completely cleared of obstacles. Except, of course, 2 obstacles. 1) My parents. Duh, they'd never be off that list of obstacles. Even if they're dead, they'll find a way to make my life more of a living hell. 2) Amber. With all this excitement of the new boyfriend, I'd completely forgotten about the sidekick. And as if right on cue, as soon as I stepped out of 1st period with Ed permanantaley attached to my hand, Amber was at the door, waiting to walk with me to second period with me. "Hey Jess. You haven't talked to me in a while. What's-" She stopped mid-sentance because her eyes had traveled to my hand which was attached to a different hand and as her eyes took a journey up the arm, she saw the most gorgeous boy in school. "Wow," she said uncontrollably.

"Uh, Amber. Have you met Ed?" I said uncomfortably.

"I have now," she smiled.

Ed stuck out his hand politely, but Amber shoved it away. "What are we, strangers? If you're a friend of Jess's, you're a friend of mine!" She hugged him with force as he tried to figure out what had just happened. When she pulled away, she turned to me, apparantly dazzled. Damnit Ed!

"So, Jess, what is he, your lab partner or something?" she laughed.

"Um...No."

"Then what-" she stopped mid-sentance again. "Jess, come on we're going to be late for class."

"Bye Ed," I said as the minute bell was ringing. I hugged him goodbye and Amber pulled me along to the next hallway. Ha, Ed hadn't said anything to her the whole time. Oh right, he's shy. Amber pushed me down into my seat as the tardy bell was ringing.

"What the hell is up?" she shrieked.

"A little clue, please?"

"A boyfriend, Jess? A boyfriend? What happened to our motto? 'Sisters before Misters'?"

"Sorry, I thought you would have been a little more supportive because even my mom took it better than you. My mom!"

"What? Did she mildly beat you this time?" I was so mad at her. What a friend she was. I thought real friends were glad that you'd be getting you first boyfriend. I took out some paper for notes we were about to write in Geometry. Amber stole a piece and began to write violently on the page.

What? Run out of things to say?

No, but you can at least try to contain your jealousy.

Jealous? Why and what would I be jealous of?

Oh come on, you were totally digging Ed until you found out he was mine.

Yeah, you know how I get jealous of you. Your perfect parents, your perfect room in your perfect house in your perfect neighborhood. You really haven't got any brains at all, do you?

The what's all the soreness about?


I handed it to her, she looked at it and handed it back.

I'd really like to know,

You would, wouldn't you?

Please, Amber! What is your problem?


"Embarrassment, that's both of your problems."

We both looked up to see Mrs. Rein standing over our shoulders, watching our whol conversation without the slightest incentive of either of us knowing. Mrs. Rein snatched the paper and began reading aloud. "Both of you, see me after class."

"Hey! Do you mind?!" I almost screamed. There were ooh's heard around the class and her eyes went wide.

"What did you say to me?" she said.

"I said, do you have a life other than looking over kids' shoulders and reading their private conversation? Just because you're a teacher doesn't mean you have the right to punish the kids because we weren't disrupting the class with chatter." Some kids clapped, some laughed, some were chattereing among themselves at how Mrs. Rein got told.

"Go to the office right now," she said calmly, but there was double-tone in her voice.

"No. What kind of country do we live in where kids are being punished for standing up for what I believe in? Men died for our country so we could be punished? I don't think that's what Amendment 1 was created for." Amber looked at me, astonished, as I grabbed my bag. "I'm sorry, but if that's what it takes for having speak my mind, I think I'll go turn myself in." I jerked the door open and who's to know, Ed was standing there.

"I'm proud of you. Speaking your mind and telling Mrs. Rein off."

"How much did you hear?" I asked.

"Enough. What was all that for anyway?"

"A note she took up from me and Amber." He smirked and pulled me closer for a hug.

"Oh, Jessica. You always leave me guessing. You are always so surprising." I smiled and he pulled me back to study my facial expression.

"Wait, what were you doing outside my classroom anyway?"

"I had to go to the bathroom. Which reminds me," he paused. "Stay here." He went into the bathroom and came back out. "You wanna skip today? You deserve a day off. Being my girlfriend is hard work."

"Yeah yell me about it."