Adolescence

Dance, Dance

I went to Billie's house that day and he listened to my problem, that is until 3:00.

"Uh, Jessica, I have to meet Adrienne for dinner. I hate to leave but she said it was important."

"What did she say it was?" I asked.

He shrugged. "She probably wants more of my money so she can pay her bills. And it is the time of month when bills are due. I hate to think poorly of her, but why can't she get her own damn job? I've been paying her bills ever since we've been dating. I better come into some money soon or I'll have no where to live. Another think I don't understand: why doesn't she live here anyway? It should be a lot smarter, but Adie's really difficult sometimes. Hell, all the time. She won't marry me until I have three albums out...Sometimes I wonder why I bother. Then I realize she loves me and would help be when things get tough." He paused. "Sorry I'm dumping all this on you, but I've got no one to talk to."

I sat up with a blanket still around me. "Now we're even. But Billie, I've got something to tell you."

"Go ahead. This is our venting hour."

"Um, when I came here that one day and Adrienne was here, she said something to me about you and I think you should know before you get hurt."

His expression changed and he sat up straight. "What did she say?"

"She said...She said that she didn't even like you. She was just with you until you get some money." I paused. "I'm so sorry Billie. I mean, how could you have known she was a bitch?"

"Can you help me?" he asked. "I don't know how to break up with somebody."

"Oh Billie I never meant to break up with her."

"What else am I gonna do? Marry her and wait until she kills me and takes all the money, left as the grieving widow?"

"Well no...but...just said 'I think it's time we broke up'...I don't know, haven't you ever seen a break up movie?"

"Uh, I'm a guy. I watch nasty comedies, war, and hardcore gore movies."

"Ugh whatever. Just improvise. I'll be here when you get back."

He went into his room and came out with some nicer looking clotheson and threw a couple of dollars at me. "Get something to eat, please. For me?"

I rolled my eyes. "Fine."

****

"Oh my God! It worked! I can't believe it worked. Thank you so much, you are my savior."

Billie got me off the couch and hugged me.

"Hey man! Video Countdown is on!" I said and 'Rebel Yell' came on.

"Come on, loosen up. Dance with me."

"Dance with you? I don't know how to dance!"

"Neither do I. Just feel the music."

I laughed. "Billy Idol? Yeah, that's real ballroom music."

He laughed too. "You're funny."

"Really? I just thought I was a smart-ass."

"That too...but you're the funniest person/smart-ass I've ever known."

"What about Tre? I thought he was pretty hilarious."

He shook his head. "No he's just hilariously crazy."

"Oh."

The song ended and went to commercial and we kept dancing regardless.

"You're also the nicest non-family member I've ever known. No matter how pissed off or sad you are."

"Yeah one of my gifts...unfortunately."

"What are you talking about? You know, a lot of guys like that more than looks."

"Well, why was my first boyfriend in 10th grade? Most everyone in the school lost their virginity by 9th."

"If everyone jumped off a cliff, would you?" he asked.

I sighed. "No, I guess you're right."

"You should feel better not having to experience it just to say you did rather than waiting for someone you really love and enjoy it."

"That's easy for you to say. I bet you've done it like a thousand times."

"No." He paused. "Not even once. I was never pressured into it nor did I fell the need. I haven't found that someone special yet."

"Oh don't worry. You'll find her soon enough."

"I have a feeling she's closer than we think."