Adolescence

One For The Razorbacks

-Flashback-

"Brittany Amber Taylor...Sharyl Carla Teeks...Jessica Haley Thibedeaux..." I walked across the stage to shake the hand of my principal and get my diploma from some other faculty.
When the other kids threw their caps in the air, I just took mine off and held it over my stomach as I made my way to the parking lot to meet Billie.

"Well, you made it farther than me," he said and kissed my forehead.
I laughed as he put his arm around me and led me to the car. When I shut the door, I could have been mistaken, but I saw my dad in a suit, watching me drive away.

****

"Jessica, you okay?" Billie asked as he sat down another box in our new front yard. "You look a little spaced out."

"Oh, yeah I'm fine. I was just thinking about my parents."

"Nothing's going to happen. You're at the complete opposite end of the country. And if they ever try to get to you, they have to get through me."

I smiled, but it was pained. I didn't know if I could believe him.

"Are you nervous?" he asked.

"About what?"

"Your appointment today. To find out if it's a boy or a girl."

"Oh. Not really. Boy or girl, it's still a pain in the ass."

He laughed and we walked into the huge house to see Tre sliding down the banister, making a small indent from his head in the wall.
I decided to take a sharpie and write Tre's name and date next to the dent. "This'll be our measurement wall."
We finally got all the boxes into the house and into everybody's room. As for being unpacked, not so much.
5:00 came around and me and Billie were getting ready to get in the car and try to find the doctor's office. Not a lot of luck. We were almost 10 minutes late to the appointment.

"Okay Miss Thibedeaux, would you like your significant other to be in the room for this?"

Okay. Make me feel gay. "Yeah. He's more interested than me."
Billie came in about a minute later and stood next to me.

"Mr. Armstrong, Miss Thibedeaux, you're going to have a girl."

Billie was silent. I thought he was disappointed, but I was wrong. I looked back at him and he was so happy I thought he was going to cry. He didn't share his joy with me until both doors of his Fairlane were closed.
"Oh my God! I'm gonna be a dad! And we're gonna have a girl! Oh god I can't wait until October 14!" And so on for the entire car ride.
We got back into the house and Mike was sitting on the couch, acting like he was turning the channel, yet the TV wasn't plugged in. He laughed at some 'channels' and did sympathetic awws on others.

-The Next Day, Billie's POV-

I woke up in a new house without Jessica by my side which hasn't happened in three years. I went downstairs to the kitchen and the living room but didn't find her so I just decided to go use the bathroom. I passed by an empty room and saw her sitting in the middle of the floor with a stuffed animal.
"Babe, what are you doing in here?"

She was quiet. "What do you think about Juliet?"

"What do you mean?"

"Juliet Olivia Armstrong."

I sat down beside her and held my legs up to my chest. "I love it. Why Juliet?"

She smiled. "Juliet's trying to find out what she wants, but she don't know. Experience has got her down." She paused. "I've been in here since 9 and ever since I woke up, I've had that song in my head. Maybe it was a sign."

"Aww tender moment!" I heard behind me and turned to see Tre run off. I laughed and layed down.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" she said and looked down at her stomach.

"Of course. We may not be ready right now, but we're gonna get there. As soon as I hold Juliet in my arms, I know I'll never leave her."

"Well I don't want you to feel obligated to stay," she smiled and nudged me.

"I want to. And to make things official, we should get married one day."

"Are you proposing?"

"Maybe. Maybe not. We don't have to get married, you know. We could be like Gene Simmons and Shannon Tweed."

She laughed. "We're getting married. FYI." Jessica leaned down and kissed me.

"NO SEX WHILE PREGO YOU KILL BABY!" Tre yelled. He went away again and I heard the song 'I Am The Walrus' get gradually louder.

"Really?" she said and laughed.

-Two Weeks Later, My POV-

Everything was unpacked except for one box. I was going to try to put all of it up while Billie and Tre were out getting food, but I barely had it open before I got really tired. So I had Mike 'help' me. By help, I mean him doing all the moving.

"What should I do with this?" Mike said and held up a ring box.

"What's inside?"

He didn't answer, he just threw it at me and sat next to me. My eyes gleamed over the silver ring with nine diamonds surrounding a huge one in the middle. How soon was he planning on getting married?