Adolescence

4 In the Morning

"What? You wanna leave the band?"

"I wanna go to college. Besides, ou know we'll never go anywhere." He left my house as I sit there thinking. What if John was right? What if the band doesn't sell at least a thousand records? Who gives a shit? Fuck John. John's gone. Well we need a drummer, so I'm going to post flyers at the local music stores.

-My POV-

Amber had left a little while ago and I was reading a Guitar World magazine. Someone came in the door. "Welcome to-" I looked up and the guy was here. I quickly put the magazine over my face as he came to the counter. "Can I help you?" I finished.

"Um yeah. I need a drummer for my band-" I took down the magazine without thinking.

"You have a band?" He stared at me for a moment.

"Yeah. Don't you know who I am?"

"Billie..."

"Yes, but do you know who I am?"

"I guess not." He left to the Alternative section and came back with a CD. "Green Day. Ok. What about it?" He sighed and turned it over, pointing at a guy on the back. 'Billie Joe' "Holy shit! That's you?!" He nodded as I stand there, bot believing.

"Well are you going to say something?"

"Uh...yeah," I said getting pissy. "Why the fuck didn't you tell me?!"

"I didn't know how you would take it." He stared at me with puppy dog eyes. I was about to say something when Faye came behind the counter.

"Well Jessica. I'm not paying you to socialize. Since this is your second time today."

"Oh, she wasn't socializing," Billie said. "She was just telling me how much...how much this CD is," he finished quickly turning over the CD. Faye smiled fakely and went back to her office.

"Thank you," I said as I was sure she was out of hearing distance.

"You're welcome. Hey, you wanna grap some lunch? I'm starved." I stood there for a second. I didn't want him to take me on a date. "Just friends. If that," he said as he read the uncomfort on my face. I looked back at the clock and it was 11:34.

"Um I don't know if I can get off yet. Hey Faye-"

"Get out of here!" I guess she heard.

"Alright let's go." I grabbed my bag and we walked down the street to McDonald's. Not my first choice, but okay.

"Order anything you want. Get the whole menu," Billie said.

"I'll have a large 'Dew." He stared at me in shock as if every other person he ate with ate like a pig. We got our food and sat down at a table.

"So what grade are you in?" he started.

"10th. And you're what, 20?"

"19, but close enough. How exactly old are you?"

"15."

"Man I feel like a pedophile." I laughed at his stupid remark. "You know, you're pretty cool for a 15 year old. Most are pricks."

"Yeah. I hate the people in the school. I wanna kill them." We talked for a bit longer and he walked me back to the store.

"Do you want me to come by later and take you home?"

"Um...if you want?" It sounded like a question.

"Kay cool. What time?"

"Uh shoot I think I get off at around 5:30."

"Alright see you then." He walked out and I stared at the flyers he had left for me to hang up.

-5:35-

"Sorry I'm late."

"It's okay. Someone just left anyway."

"You ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be." He opened the door for me and I told him where I lived. Great now he's going to rape me. I got out of the car and said, "Thanks for being there for me."

"No problem." He smiled and waved as I walked to the door, caught up in my own thoughts, not thinking of what lay on the other side of the door.