Adolescence

Nine Volt Heart

-Monday Morning-

I slid on my Pantera hoodie to cover up my bruises from the other night's beating. What did I do to make them hate me so much? I reached the end of the street where the school was in front of me and Billie's house was the other way. Screw school. I went down the street for about 3 minutes and finally, I was there. I knocked and waited about a minute before I heard latches turning and the door opened, revealing a tired Billie. "Jessica? What are you doing here?"

"I didn't want to go to school." That's a logical reason to show up on your doorstep unexpectedly.

He stood there for a second. "Come in."

"Thank you," I said coming in and sitting on the chair as he crashed on the couch.

"Why didn't...go to school..." he mumbled.

"I don't know. I didn't feel like it."

"Oh okay."

"Do you have any cigarettes?" I couldn't help but to ask.

"Kitchen." I got up to the kitchen and saw the cancer sticks. "You know, you really shouldn't smoke. It's bad for you," he said walking into the kitchen as I lit up the cigarette.

"Hypocritical much?" I laughed.

"Well...I'm 19. You're just 15."

"Good point, but..." I sighed. "I can't quit that easily. It's like biting your nails." He rubbed his shoulder and yawned.

"I need food. C'mon let's go get something to eat."

"I'm not hungry," I insisted, referring to the last meal I ate was 2 days ago at lunch and all that I had was a drink.

"Oh, come on now. You need to gain weight." Well that's nice. Billie went into the bedroom and came out zipping his pants.

"That was a fast masturbation session," I joked.

He looked at me like I was stupid. "Whatever." He paused. "I can do it much faster than that," he winked. I laughed and put the butt into the ashtray. "Well I am going to get some food."

"Fine, if you really want me to eat." I was acustomed to not eating for days on end because my parents never fed me. We didn't need a refrigerator because they never bought anything. They always went out to eat. Billie grabbed my forearm to lead me to the door. "Ow," I said quietly.

"I'm sorry. Did I hurt you?"

"It's not you..." was all I could say before he lifted my sleeve up.

"Jessica..." He said startled. "Who-who did this to you?" his tone turning angry. I wish he didn't do that.

"It's nothing Billie. I'm clumsy."

"Jess, these aren't clumsy bruises. A-Are you abused?" I stood there for a second, wanting him to shut up.

"Yeah. I am." He carefully slid my sleeve back down shaking his head.

"You need to tell someone about this."

"No!" I yelled without thinking. "You don't know what can happen to me if they figure out I told."

"Well shit Jessica! I can't just stand here and watch this happen to you!"

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine."