Adolescence

The Party Scene

I woke up and I was on a couch. How did I get here? What time is it? Where am I? "Mornin' Sunshine," I heard behind me. I turned around startled and Billie was there.

"W-What time is it?" I asked and rubbed the sleep from my eyes.

"Uh...shoot. Around 4."

"Oh good. So school's over right?"

"I guess you could say that," he said and motioned to the window. Darkness.

"Shit! You mean I passed out for over 15 hours?!"

"Well yeah. You gotta learn to take it easy at parties like that." I sat up but that was a bad idea. Blood rushed to my head and made me feel faint. "I'll get you some Aspirin and some water." I laid back down and grasped my head as he left the room. Oh shit. What about my parents? I'm going to be so dead. So much for knowing Billie. He came back and I swallowed the medicine.

"Hey I'm gonna head out, kay?"

"Where are you going?"

"I don't know. Probably Amber's house or I'll kill some time until school starts."

"Don't you want to stay with me?" he asked.

"I can't. I'll see you around," I said putting on my jacket and opening the door. As I was walking down the street, I saw something that was my displeasure to ever encounter. My mom's car driving slowly towards me. Shit, shit, shit. I dashed quickly behind the tree as she drove by searching for me. Why the hell would she care about me? The car turned the corner and I went the opposite direction to Amber's house. I knocked on her window and she dragged me into her room.

"You're in some deep shit, Jess. You're mom called about five minutes ago wondering where you were. I covered for you, so you better pretend you're asleep right now." I stand there for a second, taking in what she said.

"Okay." I layed down on the floor and she gave me a pillow and some blankets as I heard a loud knock on the door. Amber's mom's voice was heard through the walls and her voice got suspicious as she walked down the hall to Amber's room. She opened the door and turned on the light as my mom faked a concerned sigh.

"That's funny. I don't remember Jessica coming in today. Hmm."

"Thank you for your time," my mom said and her mom turned off the light and shut the door.

"You're welcome," Amber whispered as the voices disappeared down the hall.

"Thanks," I sat up and talked quietly.

"How was the party?" she asked me.

"Weird. Very weird. Billie kissed me."

"Are you guys going out?" she asked, not surprised.

"No," I scoffed. "What about you and John? Y'all were bumpin' and crumpin' up in that bedroom."

She sighed. "I don't know. I mean he's great but he's not exactly boyfriend material."

"Oh."

"He's so sweet though," she continued as if I never said anything. "He wants to go to college instead of being in a band." So that's what Billie was talking about when he needed a drummer... It was quiet for a moment.

"Amber, I can't go home."

"Where are you going to go?" she asked.

"Dunno. Here's too obvious. And Billie's is just unusual..."

"I miss John," Amber said ignoring me. "You going to school tomorrow or we gonna hit up another party?" I could here the smile in her voice.

"I don't know. Your mom got work tomorrow?"

"Oh yeah," she clicked her tongue."She'll be gone all day-" she stopped short and I could feel her staring at me with a gleaming smile.

"What are you thinking Amber?"

"I'll tell you in the morning."