Status: Active

Broken Promises

Broken Promises Ch. 2

During Billie’s breakdown, Delaney thought about what had happened earlier that day.

I walked into the seemingly deserted house. But I knew better than to assume based on appearances. “Hello?” I tentatively called out to the empty air. No response. This could either mean that no one was home, which I hoped for, or someone was passed out. Knowing my luck, it would probably be the latter. Oh well. I walked to my room, and almost made it when a hand grabbed me by the calf of my right leg. I froze.

“Where do you think you’re going?” he slurred. I tried to wrench my leg away from his grip. He just chuckled at me. “You think you can get away? Well you can’t. And neither could your good for nothing whore of a mom.” I fumed as he defiled my mother’s memory with his filthy words. All the years of turmoil, grief, hate, and angst crashed down on me. I couldn’t take it anymore. I took the nearest empty liquor bottle in my hand, and smashed it on his big fat head. I took satisfaction in his fallen form, slumped on the ground like the trash he was. I knew he wouldn’t stay passed out for long, so I scurried to my room and grabbed my backpack I used in high school. I put my valuables inside: my iPod, CDs, CD player, some clothes, and random crap I thought I would need. I jumped when I heard him groaning. I ran to my window, hoping I’d make it. I had one leg through the glorious exit, when he thundered into my room, roaring with rage. I let out a little scream of fright and anxiety and threw myself out the window, dropping my bag in the bushes in the process. I ran as fast and hard as I fucking could when I reached the ground. At least Green Day live near here, I thought to myself. One good thing about the move….


She leaned her head on Billie’s, trying to get away from her thoughts. Mmm, his hair smells nice. I wonder what shampoo he uses. Then it hit her like a ton of bricks. She sat up quickly. “Um, Billie. Can I ask you a favor?” Her voice was hopeful and tentative.

“Sure. Anything.”

She bit her lip. He might not want to…Just ask, Delaney! Delaney always had this weird problem of being too reserved and not wanting to ask for help. She would second-guess herself every day, it felt natural to her now. She inhaled sharply. “Will you take me to my old house? I left my bag outside by the bushes and stuff…” She was blushing, for no particular reason. This happened to her a lot. She would answer a question in class and her cheeks would warm up. Or maybe it was because she was talking to Billie Joe fucking Armstrong, lead singer of Green Day and the man who had stolen her heart in the end of eighth grade. And she had hugged him…and he cried on her shoulder! Insert fangirly squeal.

“Of course. I’ll go get the car and come right back.”

“Thank you so much,” she rushed her words a little, like she always did when excited. He just smiled at her before going to his car. She fangirled a little inside, but kept her cool on the outside. As she was waiting for him to come pick her up in his car, the door banged open, letting out a gust of music and people noises. “Where’s Billie?” a worried Mike Dirnt asked Delaney.

“He’s getting his car.”

“Why?”

“He’s taking me to my old house.” She had to stop herself from saying “my house” for a second, remembering that she no longer lives there. She noticed Mike’s blank expression. “It’s not like that! Oh God no! I mean, I would, but, she left, and stuff.” He chuckled at her.

“Ok, I believe you.” She shifted her weight on her other foot, putting her face in the light. “Oh! You’re the chick from earlier.” He hugged her. “Thanks for taking care of him.”

She hugged back and said, “No problem.” She jumped away frightened when a car horn honked at her. Then she saw Billie in the car. “Gotta go. See you!”

“See you on the flipside,” Mike said to her retreating back. She got in the car and put on her seatbelt.

“Where to?” She gave him her old address, and directions there. Which was a miracle in itself, she was usually horrible at giving directions. She was mildly shocked and very proud of herself when they made it in ten minutes.

“Ok…I don’t se his car, thank God. My room was in the back anyways…I’ll just go. Keep watch for me?”

Billie nodded, not in the mood to talk. She quirked a half smile and hopped out. She ran stealthily to her old window, and saw her bag right where she had left it. She picked up and ran back to Billie’s car, slamming the car door when she got inside. She clicked on her seatbelt quickly and Billie got the message, flooring the car down the street away from the house. It was too quiet for either of them so Billie turned on the radio. “White Riot” by The Clash blared out of the speakers. Delaney bobbed her head to the beat, which lead to full blown head banging and screaming along. Billie pulled up in front of the party house.

“Oh shit!” Delaney realized the full implication of her situation: she was homeless.

“You can stay with me, if you want.” Billie scratched the back of his head nervously. He didn’t want her to think he was being forward, especially after what he had done previously. But he knew how she felt, alone, nowhere to go, needing a friend. After what she had done already, he felt like she was his friend. He sure wanted to be.

“Yeah, that would be great. Thanks so much, Billie.” She hugged him, again. “Can we go to your house now?” She was tired.

“Yeah.” He could see the dark circles under her eyes and her wary expression. He started the car and drove to his house. It was a quiet drive, and once they got to his house they got out without saying a word. Delaney shouldered her backpack and followed him to his front door, waiting for him to open it as he went through his keys and unlocked the door. He gave her a short tour of the house, showing her the kitchen, living room, and bathroom, and guest room where she would be staying. She dropped her bag on the floor inside, noting it was a cream colored carpet. “Night, Delaney.”

“Night Billie.”

He turned around and left, closing the door behind him. She sat down on the bed, enjoying the bounciness. She took off her shoes and socks, leaving them on the floor where they fell. She got some pajamas out of her bag and changed into them, leaving the day’s clothes in a messy pile on top of her bag. She had forgotten a toothbrush, but went into the bathroom to see if there were any extras. There were. She wasn’t going to question why, but chose a neon green one and put some toothpaste on it. She brushed her teeth well. She used to have braces, and enjoyed being able to brush her actual teeth. She finished and went back to the guest room, turning the light off and jumping into the bed. These sheets are soft… She fell asleep. She slept well, and didn’t have any disturbing dreams like she usually did these days.