Status: Active

Broken Promises

Broken Promises Ch. 3

Delaney woke up disoriented the next day. Where the fuck am I? Her mind was frustratingly blank upon waking. She couldn’t remember where she was or how she had gotten there. In her defense, she was very tired when she arrived, and didn’t take in all the details of Billie’s home. At the time all she wanted was a nice soft bed to sleep on in a nice dark, quiet room. She wanted to forget her stepfather, and the events that lead up to her disappearance. She never wanted to see him ever again. She wanted to vanish from their very memories. They brought up too many dreadful memories for Delaney, things her mind had shoved out of the way as a defense mechanism so she could move on with her life. As long as I live, I hope to never see that horrid man ever again, Delaney thought bitterly.

She was diverted from her bitter reverie by the delicious smell of pancakes. Mmm, pancakes. Delaney loved pancakes. She loved to drench them in maple syrup, without any butter. They were good enough without it. She thought the butter took away some of the fluff of the pancakes. She was brought back to reality by a knock on the door. “Come in,” she said, wondering who it was.

Billie walked in with a tray. It had a plate of pancakes, a glass of orange juice, a mug with hot syrup inside, and a fork and knife. “I brought you pancakes,” Billie stated the obvious with a smile.

Delaney smiled back and said, “Do you give all your house guests breakfast in bed?” in a playfully sarcastic tone.

Billie smirked. “Do you want them or not? Cause I can always go eat them myself,” he turned around and pretended to leave.

Delaney rolled her eyes and said, “Of course I want them. Get your ass over here.” She really liked pancakes and was hungry that morning from not eating much the previous day. She was also cranky if awakened before her body woke itself up, which was usually around 11. The digital clock on the bedside table said it was 7:30 in red glowing letters. [i\Why Billie woke up this early is beyond me. Then she remembered that Adrienne had left, meaning Billie had to take his kids to school. She dully remembered that it was Sunday yesterday, which would make it Monday today.

Billie turned back around to face Delaney and wiggled his eyebrows suggestively but thankfully didn’t say anything. He walked the tray to her and she took it out of his hands carefully and set it down on her lap, sitting up as she did so. He sat on the edge of the bed by her feet as she started eating. “I have to take my kids to school.”

Delaney swallowed her bite before saying, “I guessed as much.” She took a sip of her orange juice. Mmm, tangy.

“You can help yourself to the fridge, I think there’s still edible food in there. Make yourself at home.”

“I will. In this bed. Right after I finish eating I’m going back to sleep.”

Billie laughed faintly and muttered, “Teenagers.”

“I heard that!” a voice shouted from the doorway.

Billie turned around and said, “Joey! You’re finally awake!” in mock surprise. Joey just rolled his eyes, unperturbed by the unknown girl in the bed. This worried Delaney. Just how many whores has he slept with? And how many have his sons seen without him knowing? I hope Joey doesn’t think I’m one of them. The subject of her thoughts must have shown on her face, because all the amusement in Billie’s face faded away quickly. They shared a quick look before Delaney looked away from his eyes, uncomfortable.

When Joey was about to leave the doorway, Delaney called out, “Wait!” He stopped. “I’m not one of your dad’s whores. I ran away from home and he’s letting me stay here until I find somewhere else to stay.” This had a dual purpose: to let Joey know the truth, and to drill it into Billie’s head that she wasn’t easy. It seemed to have worked when the tension coming from Joey lessened, and he actually smiled at her before going to eat breakfast himself. However, it made things more tense with Billie, who watched her sharply as she ate.

When she had finished, she looked up at him. He hadn’t moved at all. “What? I’m not.”

“Are you done with this?” he asked stiffly, even though it was apparent she had finished eating since all the pancakes and orange juice was gone. She handed the tray to him wordlessly, and he left the room with equal silence, closing the door behind him with a bit too much force. She just turned over, and went back to sleep.