Status: Completed

Nothing But Dust In The Shadows

Epilogue

Cassie

“Alex, seriously, it’s problem when I’m ready before you,” Cassie teased from the hallway outside the bedroom.

“I can’t decide what to wear,” He called back.

She laughed and walked into the bedroom, eyeing up an only-boxers-clad Alex, “Well, I’d advise pants first,”

He sent her a playful glare, “How posh is this thing? Do I have to wear suit pants or can I wear black jeans?”

“I made this really easy for you; I laid out your clothes for you. Just wear what I put out,”

He frowned, “I don’t like the shirt and the pants don’t fit me anymore,”

“Then throw them out,” She rolled her eyes.

He sat on the bed and looked up at her pathetically, “But I love them,”

A chuckle escaped her lips, “Alright, what do you want to wear?”

“I don’t know because you won’t tell me how posh it is,”

“Well, look at what I’m wearing and judge it from that,” She shrugged, gesturing to her outfit and doing a little spin so he could see, “And hurry up because we’re already late,” She walked out of the room.

“Oh great, no pressure or anything then,” Alex replied sarcastically.

Cassie laughed and fell onto the couch. Max was lying on the floor next to the chair and got up from his spot when she came in, jumping up on the couch beside her.

“Is he still being a girl?” Jack asked with a laugh as he walked into the living room from the kitchen.

“Yeah,” She chuckled, stroking Max and trying her best to keep him away from her dress.

“Just wait until he has to do his hair,” He smirked.

She giggled and played gently with Max’s ears, “Thanks for looking after Max for me tonight, Jack,”

He shrugged, “No problem. Me and Max are best buds,” He grinned, “Aren’t we Max? Come on boy,” He tapped his thighs.

The dog’s head perked up and gazed confusedly at him before his head flopped back to the couch.

Cassie laughed.

“I feel rejected,” He pouted.

“I’m sure he’s come over to you in spirit,” She smiled.

“Psh, spirit doesn’t give me cuddles,” He whined.

“Max,” She spoke to the dog, “Over there,” She pointed to Jack.

Max stared at her briefly before reluctantly getting up and wandering over to Jack, jumping up onto the seat beside him and flopping his head into Jack’s lap. Jack beamed and began to stroke him.

Cassie smiled to herself and she heard the bedroom door open, “Here he comes,”

“Does this look okay?” Alex asked slightly timidly as he came into the room.

He’d decided on black jeans with a white shirt, black tie and black waistcoat. His hair was in that perfectly messy style it always was and he was freshly shaven.

“Yeah dude,” Jack nodded, “I’d bang you,” He joked.

“You’d bang anything,” Alex teased with a laugh.

Cassie giggled before his cautious eyes landed on hers, “So?” He asked with an expectant look.

“I agree with Jack,” She smirked.

A suggestive grin broke out across his face, “I’m ready when you are then,”

She pulled herself up from the couch and straightened out her dress, “I’ll see you later Jack. Bye Max,”

“See you, man,” Alex nodded at him and received the same gesture back.

“Bye guys. Have a good time,” Jack wished.

“Thanks,” The couple chorused on their way to the door.

They got into Cassie’s car and she started up the engine before heading off down the road.

“You okay?” She asked him when she noticed a relatively anxious look on his face.

He nodded, “Yeah,”

“You look a little nervous,” She noted.

“Wouldn’t you be if you were properly being introduced to my parents after you’d been involved in a massive fight with them?” He raised his eyebrows.

“You don’t need to be nervous. My dad will just let what happened get put in the past okay? You have a clean slate,” She reached across a gently rubbed his knee.

He placed his hand on hers and squeezed it tight, “He’s not going to just let it go Cass. It’s not like I just had a tiny disagreement with him about something,”

She glanced over at him before looking at the road ahead, “Do you think that I’m going to let him say or do anything out of turn if he hasn’t let it go?”

He shrugged lightly.

“Don’t worry, okay?” She smiled reassuringly, “Just relax and have fun,”

“I’ll try,” He nodded.

She locked their fingers, brought his hand to her lips and kissed it caringly before sliding their hands apart and returning hers to the gear stick.

----------

Cassie reached up and knocked on the door, sliding her hand into Alex’s, locking their fingers and squeezing it reassuringly. She felt him relax slightly beside her and she smiled at him.

The door was pulled open and Susanne stood there with a grin on her face, “Cassie!” She beamed, holding out her arms for her daughter.

Cassie let go of Alex’s hand briefly to wrap her arms around her mother, “Hey mom,” She hugged her tight.

“Oh, honey I haven’t seen you since the day after I got back last week. Where have you been?” She asked as she pulled away.

“I’ve been looking for apartments and jobs; I haven’t really had time to come down. We’re just trying to readjust back to life at home, you know?” She explained, taking a step back and locking Alex’s fingers in hers again.

Susanne turned to a nervous looking Alex with a smile, “Well we haven’t been formally introduced,”

Cassie rolled her eyes, “Mom, this is my boyfriend Alex. Alex, this is my mom Susanne,”

Susanne stuck out her hand and Alex shook it, “It’s nice to meet you,” She smiled.

“Nice to meet you too,” He grinned.

Susanne pulled him into a hug, startling him, and then kissed each of his cheeks once, “It’s good to see you, sweetie. I never did thank you for going after Cassie,”

“Well I never would’ve been able to live with myself if I didn’t,” He replied with a gentle smile.

Alex’s hand found his way back into Cassie’s and Susanne closed the front door.

“Come and meet everyone. Rob will want to know you’re here,” Susanne gestured for the couple to follow her.

Cassie looked up at Alex and smiled, “You were right. She does like you,”

He nodded with a proud smirk, “I know,”

She stood on her tiptoes, kissed his cheek and then tugged him towards the dining room, “Now for the real test,”

He groaned lightly and let her lead him towards the dining room.

“Come on,” She urged.

When they reached the dining room, she felt him tense up again at the sight of at least fifty people- mostly business friends of Robert’s- and she traced her thumb over his as she spotted her parents over the other side of the room. She weaved around people, until she stopped in front of her mother and father. Susanne whispered something to Robert before Cassie got there and Rob’s eyes landed on Alex. He could almost smell the anxiety radiating from him.

“Hey dad,” Cassie smiled, giving him a hug before stepping back.

Robert’s eyes drifted over to Alex who shifted uncomfortably under his gaze. His eyes fell down to their interlocked fingers as Cassie’s squeezed gently for sixth time that night.

A small smile drifted across Robert’s lips as he nodded at Alex, sticking out his hand, “Gas-“ He cut himself off, “Alex,” He corrected.

Alex looked hesitantly at his outstretched hand before shaking it firmly, “Mr. Reid,”

“Call me Rob,” He smiled wider and took their hands apart.

“Rob,” Alex smiled back, returning his hand to Cassie’s. He wasn’t so tense anymore.

They fell silent for a second and Susanne nudged Rob with her elbow.

He cleared his throat, “So, Cassie tells me you’re a Ravens’ fan?” He began.

Alex nodded, “Yeah,”

“Well I guess we have something in common then,” Rob began, “Aside from how much we care about Cassie, that is,”

“She never mentioned you were even a football fan,” Alex glanced over at Cassie.

“Oh, God, yeah,” She groaned slightly.

“Cass, do you mind if I steal him for a minute?”

A light frown crossed her features before she nodded, “Uh, sure,”

“Alex, let me introduce you to everyone. There’s one person in particular that I’d like you to meet,” Rob threw his arm around Alex’s shoulder and dragged him off.

Cassie released his hand and watched them go, “Uh... What just happened?” She raised an eyebrow at Susanne.

“Don’t worry sweetie. I’ve warned him to be nice,” She reassured.

She shook her head, “That doesn’t make me feel better,”

----------

Half an hour later, Alex came running up to Cassie with an excited grin and fell down into the seat next to her.

“I love your dad,” He beamed at her.

She raised an amused eyebrow, “What?”

“Your dad just introduced me to Steve Bisciotti!” He grinned.

She stared blankly at him, “Who?”

He frowned, “Steve. Bisciotti,” He spoke slower.

“It doesn’t matter how slow you say it Alex, I still don’t know who he is,” She shook her head.

“He owns the Ravens!” He threw his arms up in the air exasperatedly.

“Oh right,” She smiled, “Is he nice?”

“Nice? Cassie, he just said he’d get me, Jack, Rian and Zack free tickets for the first game of the season. He’s amazing,” He sighed blissfully, “I’m so in love with your dad,”

She laughed, “I’m afraid that you like him more than you like me,”

“Uh... Yeah,” He replied in a ‘duh’ tone.

She punched him in the arm, “Hey,”

He laughed and tenderly kissed her lips, “You know I’m kidding,” He then rubbed his arm where she’d hit him, “Please don’t hit me again,” He smiled innocently.

She chuckled, “I won’t,”

“Steve even said that we could go back and meet the players- I’m going to meet Mark Clayton. I’m so excited!”

She couldn’t help but smile at him, “I can tell,”

The couple fell into silence for a brief second before Alex changed the subject.

“Your dad apologised,” He began, “He’s sorry for what he did,”

She nodded, “I know. I told you he’d wipe the slate clean,” She murmured, resting her head on his shoulder, “I’m just glad you’re getting along,”

“I’m just glad he didn’t take me off to drown me in the pool,” He joked, pressing his lips to the top of her head.

She laughed and cuddled closer to him.

“Hey Alex, I got you a beer,” Robert said as he appeared in front of them, a bottle in hand for Alex.

Cassie sat up and gave a vaguely odd glance to her father.

“Thanks Rob,” Alex smiled, taking his drink.

Rob sat down across from the couple and Susanne followed suit a few seconds later, sitting beside her husband.

“Are we going to do it now?” Susanne whispered.

Cassie heard her, “Do what now?” She asked curiously as the couple looked at her inquisitively.

Rob rolled his eyes, “She never has been subtle,”

Cassie slid a little further towards the end of the couch and crossed her left leg over her right, “What’re you talking about?”

“I guess we’ll have to do it now,” Rob shook his head at his wife who smiled sheepishly. He put his hand into the inside pocket of his jacket and pulled out a long envelope, “This is a present for you two from your mom and I,” He handed it over to Cassie who eyed it suspiciously.

“What is it?” She asked.

Alex chuckled, “Open it and find out,” He sat forward too, wrapping his arm around her waist.

She slid her finger under the lip of the envelope and tore it open. She pulled out the contents and studied them carefully.

“Oh my gosh,” She gasped.

“Are those tickets to Paris?” Alex’s tone held the same surprise as Cassie’s.

“One way tickets,” Susanne explained, “Go on Rob, tell them,” She nudged her husband again.

“Woman, stop elbowing me,” He glared playfully.

She laughed, “Sorry,”

“These are first class tickets,” Alex breathed, “I’ve never been first class anything,”

Cassie smiled at him and took his hand, squeezing his fingers excitedly.

“Your mom had the idea that I should buy you guys a gift. You know, to apologise for the mess I got you into,” He began, clearing his throat, “So I thought I’d send you guys on a little holiday. Then I remembered that you guys were on a road trip before you were... Uh... Rudely interrupted,” He chose his words carefully, “So I thought you could start off in Paris and I’ll get one of my Paris branches to give you guys a company car so you can have a little road trip over there instead,”

“A road trip across Europe?” Cassie looked up at him then looked over at Alex.

“I mean, if you don’t fancy the road trip then I can just get you a flight back for two weeks later. I just didn’t want to get the flight if you weren’t going to come back on it,” He expanded.

“Dad, you didn’t have to do this,” She murmured, looking over at him with such love in her eyes she was sure she was almost about to cry.

“I wanted to, honey,” He shrugged, “But if you guys want to take some other people with you, I can get flights for them too. I mean, I know that your friends, that Steve is going to give you the NFL tickets for, are your best ones so I’ll pay for them to go over with you if you like. Sorry, I can’t remember their names,”

“Jack, Rian and Zack,” Alex replied, staring in absolute awe at Cassie’s father.

“Yeah, well, Cassie doesn’t have many close friends because all she’s ever really known is Jason. But now she has you and I appreciate you taking care of her. She needs more people like you in her life and if your friends are as good a guy as I realise that you are now, then I’d love for Cassie to get to know them. Maybe she could even stay friends with them and you if you two don’t work out. Touch wood,” He knocked on the coffee table.

“I couldn’t ask for you to pay for them too,” Alex shook his head, “This is amazing enough,”

“Well, I’m offering you it,” He smiled.

“That’d be great dad. I’d love if they could come too,” Cassie agreed, ignoring Alex's response.

Rob nodded, “I’ll sort the tickets out tomorrow,”

“Rob, I could kiss you right now,” Alex thought aloud.

Cassie, Susanne and Rob laughed, although Rob’s was accompanied by something of an odd look.

“A handshake and a promise you’ll take care of my daughter is good enough for me,” He stuck out his hand.

Alex shook it securely, “I promise,”

Cassie got up and gave her dad a tight hug, “Thank you,”

“You’re welcome. I’ll transfer some money into your account so you’re not running on empty while you’re over there,” He whispered into her ear.

She kissed his cheek and repeated the gesture with her mother.

Alex kissed Susanne on both cheeks with a grateful smile, “Thank you both so much. You really didn’t have to,”

“I know,” Rob nodded.

Cassie and Alex looked at each other with equally excited grins.

“We’ll give you two some alone time,” Susanne smiled before leading Rob out of the room.

“Okay, it’s official- I’m definitely in love with your parents,” Alex sighed, shaking his head in disbelief.

“This is incredible!” Cassie beamed, throwing her arms around him and holding him tight.

“We’re going on a road trip across Europe, Cass. Fucking Europe!” He squeaked, keeping his cursing volume to a minimum.

“I know!” She grinned as they parted and sat down on the couch.

“The guys are going to be so stoked,” He beamed, “Are you okay with them coming too?”

She nodded with a slight chuckle, “Why wouldn’t I be?”

“I don’t know, it’s just going to be different from when it was just me and you, that’s all,”

“Well, you can’t survive with just me for so long. Especially if we end up having fights like we did last time. You need your friends too. Besides, they’ll miss you,” She smiled.

“Yeah but you don’t have your girlfriends with you,”

“I don’t have any,” She laughed.

“Yeah but you could make some before you go,” He suggested.

She shook her head, shuffling closer to him and looking up at him, “All I need is you, Alex,” She whispered.

A flash of confusion appeared in his eyes, “I thought you didn’t like that word?”

“I don’t,” She shrugged, reaching out and taking his hand, locking their fingers tight together, “But when it comes to you, it’s the only word I can find to describe what I feel,”

“So I’m the exception to the rule then?” He smiled.

“I got drunk and danced on a bar with you. I ran off with you after only knowing you for half an hour. I travelled five states with you. I slept in the same bed with you without a second thought. I got you arrested and I let myself need you when I swore I’d never need anyone again,” She gazed into his honey coloured eyes, “Alex, you’re the exception to every rule I’ve ever lived by,”

He stared at her for a second and opened his mouth to speak but he found no words. So, instead, he just pressed his lips to hers.

It was the perfect response.

He was gentler than usual. It was more loving and she almost fell off her seat at the emotion that was behind his kiss.

As he slowly pulled away, he was drawn back for more soft pecks before he rested his forehead on hers. She looked up into his eyes.

He didn’t have to say a word- She could see in his eyes that he felt the same.

He smiled at her and whispered, “Willy Wonka’s got nothing on me,”

----------

'I Melt Into You, You Melt Into Me And I Won't Ever Let You Go'

Sara Haze
♠ ♠ ♠
Cassie's Dress

I can't believe this is over ='(.

It's so sad.

I hope you liked it. Thank you all for reading this story and sticking with it right the way through. Thank you to all my subscribers and my commenters. This is the most popular story I've yet to write and it means so much to me. Really. Thank you so much.

Thanks to all the wonderful comments from- Leannabandana, In deinem Schatten;, Spencer_Reid, Kevin Jonas, Philaphobia;;, YourBlackoutMemory, iwishiwas, not mohawks; robots, cynicalqueen, Blink., Nicole!, socially awkward;, Love's Requiem, Jordann23, catastrophe., xoxomusic363, A7X-Gc-luver, i.the.krystelle, livingproof;;, JunkFoodJunkie, Darlin Dare You?, CheckYesLindsey94, vintage;, Joe Jonas, mmmxalright, Desolate Earth, SmileitsAmy!, daydreamer2006, emmerpixie, carleebear, hush now., erratic, breakOUT!, the.pretender, samsstoryaccount, Charliee-Annee, Uprising, Kill.The.Lights, Holly Golightly, rivals are insane, maddyann, Dibs, Lulwhut, scath3rad1o, PeacefulNightmare, paramore23, REACT RELOAD., JaffaCakes, unraveled.words, RealWorld, MOSHPITROMANCE, my_beautiful_rescue, LizzyLost, escapethekait26, Harris., and finally kapma. That is a massive list of a whole lotta wonderful people there. I love you all.

I hope you all loved this story as much as I loved writing it. It's been so much fun. =)

Please check out my Kennedy Brock story Guide Me Home and my John O'Callaghan story Put Your Heart Where Your Mouth Is. The sequel of my John story is active now =).

I hope you'll all check back because when Guide Me Home is over, I'll be posting an original fiction and it's going to need as much support as possible because it's hard to get originals up and running.

I'd love if I could go out with a bang and get up to 345 comments (that's 16 more comments). So if any silent readers would like to find their voices, I'd love to hear what you have to say =).

Thank you all.

xx =) <3