Status: In the process of being re-posted.

I Can Taste The Failure On Your Lips

Part Thirteen

He was bagging groceries when I entered the store. He looked so bored, as he threw a box of popcorn into the plastic bag. He noticed me and waved, before having to go back to the loads of items on the counter. Again, I didn’t know if Curtis wanted to date me and I didn’t know if I wanted to date him. He was cute and he was goofy, but mainly Curtis was nice. He wasn’t a jerk, and he respected me. It would be my first relationship with a guy, ever, and honestly, I was scared. It was that fear of dating someone and getting hurt that made me question it.

Since I had never been in a relationship, I didn’t know if I was the kind of person that could just bounce right back up if it ended badly. I could probably already tell you though, that I was not one of those people. I knew people like that though, like Jordan. She was in a new relationship every other day. She didn’t let guys get to her.

I did. I over analyzed things way too much and I had too many insecurities.

Curtis wasn’t there when I went to pay for my groceries. I figured that he had gone on his break, or had other grocery store duties to fulfill, but when I got outside, I saw a tall and lanky figure leaned up against the car. “D’yeh actually need these or d’yeh only come ‘ere to see me?” He asked.

“I was actually hoping you weren’t going to be here.” I lied. I actually wanted to see him.

“Oh well then I’ll just leave.” He said, putting my last bag of groceries in the trunk, and walking away.

“No, wait.” I said, closing the trunk.

He turned back around to face me. “Why should I?”

“Because we both know that you don’t want to go back in there and bag groceries.” I replied.

“Good point.” He replied. I smiled and sat on the bumper and he joined me. “So, I was thinkin’ about last nigh’.”

I cocked my head and then looked down at the small rock that I was kicking around. “Which part? The part where you were acting very strange, the part where you kissed me, or the part about riding in a car with Oliver and a drunken girl?” I replied.

He chuckled and then looked down at me. I never really noticed how short I was compared to Curtis. I should’ve, seeing as I was five foot three, and when I looked up at him, it was basically like looking up a tree. He stood up, pulling me with him, leaned us against the back of the station wagon, and kissed me, again. This time, I made an attempt to kiss him back. It couldn’t have been that hard, I had seen it done plenty of times in movies. He only smiled into the kissed and I pulled away.

“I’m terrible at this.” I replied. I blushed and looked down at the pavement.

Curtis put a finger underneath my chin, so I would look at him again. “Yeh not as bad as yeh think yeh are.” He said, and smiled one last time. “I’ll see yeh later?”

I nodded and watched him walk back into the store. It was then that I knew that I wanted to date Curtis Ward, and I had a feeling that he wanted to date me too.
♠ ♠ ♠
too short