Status: In the process of being re-posted.

I Can Taste The Failure On Your Lips

Part Sixteen

Curtis was sitting on my porch.

He didn’t knock or ring the door bell; he was just sitting there, hands in his lap, looking out across the lawn at where his car was parked on the street. I found him when I went to go get the mail. I didn’t know how long he had been there, or why he was even there. I did know that when I walked out on the porch, my stomach dropped to my feet, and I could’ve sworn that he was there to break up with me.

Curtis didn’t say anything when I stepped out onto the concrete stoop. He merely glanced over his shoulder, acknowledging my presence, before looking ahead. It was then, that specific move, which assured me that our relationship was over. I was being dumped.

“What’s wrong babe?” I asked. I didn’t ask why he was here, because I thought that I didn’t need to. I didn’t have to be a relationship scientist to figure this one out.

“I’m goin’ on vacation.” He said. My shoulders automatically dropped and I let out a long heavy sigh. Curtis looked over at me and cocked his head. “What? Yeh think I was ‘ere for another reason?”

“Well, you never know.” I replied, leaning my head on his shoulder.

“I’m going down south for the holidays. Mum says we need to visit the ol’ grandparents.” He explained. “I don’ think I’ll be back until after Christmas. So, I wanted to give yeh gift now.” He then handed me what looked like a box, horribly wrapped in silver paper.

“Curtis, you should wait till you get back, then I can give you your gift too.” I said, handing him back the box.

“I knew yeh’d say that. I’m not leavin’ til yeh open it.”

“Then don’t leave, I don’t want you to go anyways.” He only smiled, and handed me back the present. I sighed, “Fine. But when you get back the first thing you are doing is opening my gift.”

“Stop puttin’ it off, I ‘ave to go in an hour. Just open it.”

It wasn’t a box. It was the next book in the series I was reading. I had looked for this book everywhere since I landed. It wasn’t at the airport, the library, the ASDA, or the bookstore.

But, here it lay in my hands. I never even told Curtis I was reading this book, I never even told him I read books, for fear that he would think I was some bookworm who lived in a fantasy world. I was, but he didn’t have to know that.

“How did you know?” I asked.

“I saw the other three in yeh room, and I ‘ad ‘eard that the fourth one was comin’ out, so I got it for you.”

“Thank you so much!” I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him on the cheek.

“It’ll give yeh somethin’ to do while I’m gone.” He stood up, and took the few steps down to the sidewalk.

“How long will that be?”

“I probably won’t be back til after Christmas. I might not even be back till after New Years.”

I sighed. Just another holiday I’d be spending alone. No mistletoe or New Years kisses. “I’ll miss you.” He then walked back up the steps to give me one more kiss before he left.

Curtis descended across the snow-covered lawn to his car, got in and drove away. I looked down at the book in my hands, before going inside to start reading it.

===

Just because Curtis was on vacation, didn’t stop the band from practicing. Especially not Oli, who was trying harder than ever to increase his vocal talent. He was great already, if he kept pushing it he was bound to lose a chord or two. I sat on the corner of the couch, reading. Anna and Matt were exchanging gifts because he too was going on vacation to see some family members. When they were done Anna came and sat next to me.

“What yeh up to, love?” She asked.

I help up my book. “Keeping myself busy.”

She nodded. “Are yeh comin’ back Thursday nigh’ for gift exchangin’?”

“Duh, I have to give you your gift don’t I?”

“Exactly.” She laughed, before looking at Matt. “I’m goin’ to miss ‘im.”

“I know what you mean.”

“Oh that’s right, Curtis left yesterday, huh?”

“Yes. Leaving me here alone with all of you freaks.” I replied.

“’S not like yeh not a freak too.” Tom said from across the garage.

“Thank you Tom.” I replied before flipping him off. He only raised his eyebrows and smiled.
“Freak.” I said.

“Boys.” Anna muttered before getting up and joining Matt.

I glanced up at Tom, but in his place was Oliver, staring back at me. My eyes dropped back down to my book, but they kept screaming at me to look back up at him. When I did he just smiled at me, making me blush and revert my gaze. I tried reading some more, but I found that the words didn’t make sense anymore. I gave up on it, and just lay my head down, and listened to him scream until practice was over, and everyone started going home.
♠ ♠ ♠
god, i dont even know why i'm re-posting this. :(