Status: In the process of being re-posted.

I Can Taste The Failure On Your Lips

Part Seventeen

“Okay, okay it’s my turn!” Anna yelled.

We were all in a circle surrounded by empty plastic Dixie Cups and wrapping paper. Tom handed Anna her gift, she unwrapped it, revealing the same exact thing I had gotten her; A gift card. Tom looked at me out of the corner of his eye and I gave him a questioning look. He only shrugged his shoulders. Way to make me feel unoriginal. Thanks Thomas.

I then handed Anna the gift card I had bought her. It had more money on it than Tom’s did, but this was Christmas, not a competition. She only jumped up and gave me a hug, saying that she was happy that we thought of her, and that we could’ve both gotten her a pair of socks, and she would’ve been happy.

It was Tom’s turn now; Oli had gotten him some camera equipment, Anna had gotten him a CD of one of his favorite bands. He then opened my gift, and sighed. “Someone actually listened to me.” He said. “Thank you Dee. I really needed this.”

Oli scoffed and crossed his arms. “So unappreciative.”

“What am I going to do with a camera bag? I already have three of them.”

Everyone started laughing, and Oli shook his head and rolled his eyes. “Whatever.”

“Don’t get upset Oli.” I told him.

“Don’ yeh come gettin’ into this, suck up.” He said.

“Suck up!? How am I a suck up?” I asked, crossing my arms.

“Get everyone what they asked for. Don’ put in any thought whatsoever.”

“Oh whatever. Don’t ruin this night for the rest of us just because you aren’t happy.”

“Well, I think I’d be ‘appy if it weren’t for yeh.”

“What do I have to do with this?” I yelled. We were standing up now. “I didn’t do anything to you.”

He said something so soft; I would’ve never known he said anything if I hadn’t seen his lips move. I didn’t hear what it was though. Right after he said it he turned on his heel and stomped up to the house, slamming the door behind him. A few moments later I saw a light come on in the second floor. I sighed heavily and looked at the rest of people, shrugging my shoulders.

“I’m going to go.” I said.

“Aw come on Dee, don’t leave just ‘cause he’s a jerk.” Tom said.

“No, I’m obviously not wanted. So, I’ll spare you guys.”

“Don’t be paranoid either.” He replied.

“Bye Anna, I hope you enjoy the gift.” I said giving her a hug. “Bye Lee, Matt, Merry Christmas. See you guys soon.” I then walked back to Tom and gave him a hug before leaving.

Why did he have to be such a Scrooge? I hadn’t done anything to him.

I hope Curtis gets back soon.

===

I got Petunia a sweater. She asked for one, and I got it for her. As Oliver would say, I was being a suck up. But, there was no one else here to buy her one.

Christmas in Sheffield was simple. At least for Petunia and I, it was. There were no decorations, no Christmas tree. We each gave each other one present; I gave her the sweater, she gave me a necklace that her mother had given her. It was a beautiful pearl surrounded by diamonds, and I had to admit that it looked good around my neck. I almost didn’t want to take it, but Petunia insisted.

“I’m goin’ to be dyin’ soon anyways, and I ain’t got no one else to give it to.” She said.
“Grandma you arent going to die soon.” I replied.

My phone rang, and I was very surprised to be getting a phone call from Daniel.

“Hello?” I asked.

“Merry Christmas, sis.” He said, as if nothing had ever happened. As if he never got put in jail, and as if he had been calling me every night. “How are you?”

“How are you Danny? I haven’t heard from you in forever.” I asked.

I heard him sigh. “I’ll live.”

“Why didn’t you tell me you were having so many problems? Why didn’t you tell me you were back with mom?” I asked. “I’m your sister, Daniel. You need to tell me these things.”

“I tried.” He said.

“No, you tried blaming me for the reason you were in jail.” I said.

He sighed again. “I’m sorry, alright. I was just going through so much. Well, I am going through so much. But it doesn’t matter. It’s Christmas, can we forget about that stuff?”

I forgave him only with the promise that he would start telling me things again. We talked about mom mostly. Then we started talking about my friends here. Danny didn’t know I had a boyfriend, but he honestly was happy for me. I told him about Oli and how he was such a jerk. I told him how Kaite was ignoring me. I started telling him about Anna and Tom when the doorbell rang. I glanced out the window only to see Oli standing there, looking gloomy as usual. I rolled my eyes, what does he want to apologize now?

“Hey Danny, I have to go.” I said.

“Sure. I’ll talk to you later then?”

“Sure, Later.” I said, clicking my phone shut.

Oli rang the doorbell one more time, before I opened it. He had that signature pout on his face, his hair un-straightened, and his lips were chapped. I was about to jump down his throat for causing a scene last night, when he handed me a bag. It was red and white, and stuffed with glittery tissue paper. I looked at him with a raised eyebrow, and he only sighed.

“I didn’t wrap it okay?” He confessed. “I’m terrible at that.”

“You bought me something?” I asked.

“I know. Shocker.” He said as I pulled the sweater from the bag.

I didn’t know if it was the fact that he had actually bought me something, or the fact that he actually listened to me, or the fact that he actually thought of me, that had me speechless. “I didn’t know what to say.”

“Thank yeh Oliver for the sweater.” He said in a high pitched voice. “That’d be nice.”

“Thank you Oliver for the sweater.” I mocked. “You didn’t have to though.”

“Well, yeh wanted it. I thought that maybe I’d be nice.” He said.

“For once.” I said sarcastically.

“Well, I could just go back to bein’ an arse like I were.”

I smiled. “But I like this Oli lot more.”

He smiled and stepped down to the sidewalk. “I’m glad yeh like it.”

“It is what I wanted.” I called after him. “Suck up.”

After he left, I stepped in the door and slid my arms into the hoodie. It fit like a glove, and I could smell the faint smell of his car on it. I smiled one more time before taking it off and coming to reality.I was sure that beofre I knew it, Oliver would be right back to being a jerk again.
♠ ♠ ♠
bad spelling.